RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2009, 05:37 AM

Default Col. Stanislav Petrov & TEOTWAWKI

Hi
While blundering around on the Net (as you do) I came across an interesting Wiki I was completely unaware of - the AltHistory Wiki, which includes this alternate universe (amongst many others):

http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/1983:_Doomsday

I have to confess I hadn't heard of Colonel Petrov (whose action - or should that be inaction in this instance - on the 26th September 1983 was evidently a close call for us all) prior to this morning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov

Malcolm
Old 05-17-2009, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Thank you Mr. Petrov. To be honest that is always how I expected it to start. Not by aggression but by a mistake.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:23 AM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Yes both sides seemed to be a little high strung as they would call it.

I would hate to think what would of happen if some terrorist organization had pop off Nuke in Soviet Union, the US, UK, France, China or Isreal at that time. Even if it was fact that it wasn't one of those nation who had intentional set of the nuke, I can see any one of them itchy trigger fingers.

With that as thought, let alone some other nation suddenly becoming a one shot wonder and they take it.

No matter what we would like to believe, I don't think once the first one is detonated, it won't take long for it to be a terrible day in most neighborhoods. Several people would have to show lot of restraint to have nuclear war like in Twilight 2000. Even if a Commander had the option to use nukes, they would refrain from it, knowing that once you used it, the other side will retaliate in kind. Once the initial exchange was done, I don't see too many people being able to say enough is enough.

Remember one of the few reason why at the end of WWII there were only two bombs used to end the war and not more, was simply the number of nuke laying around unused. It was very effective wake up call, and the destruction many people don't/didn't want to take responsibility for. I just hope in my lifetime, it remains a threat only.

It is interesting alternate time line though.