RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Driving through sand/deserts

kcdusk 11-19-2005, 03:31 PM Do Refs require drivers of tracked or wheeled vehicles to make driving rolls when driving through sand hills? Is that going to far? I was thinking of making them roll for every 4 hours of travel, or for every trip that wasnt 4 hours. The roll would be difficult, or formidable to get over some really big n soft sandhills.

Or i was going to make them roll formidable if travelling in the heat of the day to reflect the softer sand and difficult if travelling during twilight, is that too anal?

pmulcahy 11-19-2005, 04:42 PM Hard-packed desert is basically like driving on a dirt road. I would say no special driving rolls needed. Hard-packed desert with a lot of rocks is a tough ride, physically demanding as well as being tough on the undercarriage. This would require anywhere from an Easy to Difficult driving roll every period, depending upon the size of the rocks and the size of the vehicle. Now dunes -- well, off-road wheeled vehicles are only slightly better on that terrain than tracks, but that also depends on the size and supension of the wheeled vehicle. I'd make the difficulty roll from Average to Formidable, depending on the depth of the sand and the suspension of the vehicle, and possibly require two checks per period. And don't forget that in those conditions, the vehicle is going to get a lot of sand and dust in places where it probably shouldn't be.

kcdusk 11-19-2005, 04:45 PM I'm hearing more upkeep and maintenance will be required PM ...

kcdusk 11-19-2005, 08:38 PM What about any modifiers for tracked or wheeled vehicles? Does sand make any difference to one or the other?

ChalkLine 11-19-2005, 10:02 PM I totally agree with Paul, add a fatigue level often, the thick sand channelling the vehicle is hard to steer against and keep the wheels pointed in the right direction is a constant wrestling match.

Tags
rules