RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-27-2008, 07:07 PM

Default Pirates steal tanks - real world

A russian warship is trying to intercept a ukrainian vessel carrying 33 T-72 tanks and ammunition. The ship was bound for Kenya.

It was taken over by pirates off the horn of africa.

They dont know if hte pirates knew before hand what the ship was carrying.

1) as a plot it sounds a bit "ambitious", but hey, the real world is often crazier than anything you can think of.

2) trying to sell the tanks is going to be a bitch! Yes, they are worth allot, and you'd make a ton of money even selling at half price. But trying to sell 33 MBT's that you stole will still take some work!
Old 09-28-2008, 02:50 AM

There are lots of warlords who will be interesting in buying them. I don't think they knew before hand. There is a pirate attack like every 3 days around there... just the odds I think. At the moment there is 60 vessels still held somewhere in Somalia with its 300 crewman... piracy is big business.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:42 AM

Sounds like perfect Merc2k fodder. Piracy is something that never seems to go away because it is so profitable.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Grimace Send a message via AIM to Grimace Send a message via Yahoo to Grimace

Yeah, those pirates are about to have a real world of hurt come down around them. Not only is there a U.S. destroyer that is "keeping an eye" on the captured ship (it actually has it spotted and is just watching it) but there's a Russian naval ship steaming to go kill 'em some pirates! Or sink the ship barring they can't take it back.

Most figure the pirates will give the ship back once a naval ship shows up and demands their surrender and fires a warning shot. I guess only time will tell.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:45 PM

I don't think they'll sink her...I suspect the frigate has a Russian Naval Spetznaz team embarked with orders to kill every pirate aboard...and after that, bill Kenya and Ukraine for services rendered...
Old 09-29-2008, 02:59 PM

Islamist warlords had been thrown out of Mogadishiu. and 33 T-72+amo might tip the balance a bit. I heard that ship was heading for islamist held harbor. I didn't know what it was carrying so.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:06 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdusk
A russian warship is trying to intercept a ukrainian vessel carrying 33 T-72 tanks and ammunition. The ship was bound for Kenya.

It was taken over by pirates off the horn of africa.

They dont know if hte pirates knew before hand what the ship was carrying.

1) as a plot it sounds a bit "ambitious", but hey, the real world is often crazier than anything you can think of.

2) trying to sell the tanks is going to be a bitch! Yes, they are worth allot, and you'd make a ton of money even selling at half price. But trying to sell 33 MBT's that you stole will still take some work!

Not really since you have warlords and local despotes who would readily buy them reguardless of where they came from or how they were aquired.

And for the locals Somalia, Chad, Sudan, Euritria and even parts of Kenya they would tip the balance of power in the region. Think of a scenario very much like T2K where warlords have alot of hired guns but so does your neighboring rival warlord. But, no one has any tanks....until you purchase some, then well the balance is tipped.

Remember a tank is a force multiplier, where it really shines is when it has infanty to support and to support it, and then its really multiplied. And unless you have ALOT of men you can afford to loose, another tank of equal caliber or some kick ass anti armor weapons or air then what are your chances of stopping it?

Of course if grenades and RPGs will do it, as well as molotov cocktails but you need to have the oportunity present itsself, and are your men that well trained and disciplined? And again, how many will you loose doing it? If you loose most of your men defeating the tank then can you rightly claim victory? Or will you now be at the mercy of a warlord who was once much weaker than you but, now you weakened yourself fighting that tank.

Ah the use of complex weapons is one cool factor that tosses a new dynamic into the scheme of things.

As for what will happen, I don't think Ivan will be as subtle to send in a naval speitznaz team, they're more likely to just sink it.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:20 PM

Weren't the tanks sold by Russia to the Kenyans? If so, the Russians are still liable for the shipment until they reach the intended end users.

The Russians have a reputation for ruthlessness in matters of terrorists/insurgents/pirates; when four Russians were kidnapped in Beirut in 1987 (and one murdered), the GRU found the brother of the terrorist group's leader, and sent him back to the family-one piece at a time, until the three other Russians were set free. A day's worth of deliveries was sufficient enough to induce compliance. Another story from the late '80s had a Soviet destroyer with Naval Infantry aboard returning from an Angolan deployment when they got an SOS call from a frieighter off the Nigerian coast that had been attacked by pirates. The destroyer responded, and found a large freighter with a small coaster moving in alongside to send a boarding party aboard. The destroyer shelled the coaster (pirate vessel) and sent the Naval Infantry aboard. Bottom line, frieighter rescued, pirate vessel scuttled, and the pirates were tried under Soviet Military Law in a summary court-martial for piracy. The accused were found guilty and shot.

Old USMC Adage
Old 09-30-2008, 12:27 AM

However it happens and by whomever I look forward to hearing the news that those Somali pirates have been butchered to the last man. Pirates are scum and though it wouldn't be fair to tar all Somalis with the same brush those that are into killing seem to be zealously homicidal.

Here in Perth we have had some problems with Somali street gangs. We've had a few hundred Somali families come here as refugees and while their elders may be good, law abiding citizens alot of their kids seem to get off on using knives and machetes on people in the streets. Bullet in the back of the head for every one of the bloodthirsty little sh*ts IMO.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wiser
Weren't the tanks sold by Russia to the Kenyans? If so, the Russians are still liable for the shipment until they reach the intended end users.

The Russians have a reputation for ruthlessness in matters of terrorists/insurgents/pirates; when four Russians were kidnapped in Beirut in 1987 (and one murdered), the GRU found the brother of the terrorist group's leader, and sent him back to the family-one piece at a time, until the three other Russians were set free. A day's worth of deliveries was sufficient enough to induce compliance. Another story from the late '80s had a Soviet destroyer with Naval Infantry aboard returning from an Angolan deployment when they got an SOS call from a frieighter off the Nigerian coast that had been attacked by pirates. The destroyer responded, and found a large freighter with a small coaster moving in alongside to send a boarding party aboard. The destroyer shelled the coaster (pirate vessel) and sent the Naval Infantry aboard. Bottom line, frieighter rescued, pirate vessel scuttled, and the pirates were tried under Soviet Military Law in a summary court-martial for piracy. The accused were found guilty and shot.
I didn't know about the second story (pirate) but that doesn't surprise me; very Russian. At the time of the first, however, I knew a few French military who were found of the Russian dealing ways in Beirut. Actually, they were wishing we could have done the same.

By the way the tanks were not sold by Russia but by Ukraine. So expect the Russians to love the idea of sinking that ship and that may be why the US Navy is also chasing it (beside not liking the idea of having these tanks in islamist hands). Of course, I'm a little imaginative here but I bet the Russians would love to see Ukraine loose some money.

Last edited by Mohoender; 09-30-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:01 AM

So, how often is a tank company captured by guys in a boat?

Brandon

http://copeab.tripod.com
Old 09-30-2008, 08:18 AM

Tank company, nothing-- that's a Soviet-table battalion, with 2 spares. My paper today said that the Kenyans are now saying the tanks and weapons are for the south Sudan forces, who are denying any such thing. And both say that the UN arms embargo is not being violated.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:05 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee
Tank company, nothing-- that's a Soviet-table battalion, with 2 spares. My paper today said that the Kenyans are now saying the tanks and weapons are for the south Sudan forces, who are denying any such thing. And both say that the UN arms embargo is not being violated.
Hmmm -- smells like a skank's privates...
Old 09-30-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
Hmmm -- smells like a skank's privates...
Oh Paul, you wordsmith. You say the sweetest things
Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm. Lee

Well now...then the Russians will either a) sink it because they had a hand in the sale...or b) grab it intact as an excuse to trumpet how evil the Ukrainians are ("Violating UN resolutions", we'd never do that!)...sure Vlad...
Old 10-01-2008, 01:48 PM

If the ship is indeed Ukrainian and if the tanks were sold by Ukraine, the Russians certainly don't have anything to do with it. US might, however, but I strongly doubt it.

On the other hand, Ukraine is a land of Mafia (what we usually call Russian mafia is more often Ukrainian) and these guys might well be involved. Moreover, the Ukrainians are big enough to do their crap all by themselves.

Whatever, this a kind of messy situation that is open for imagination.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Hmmm, wonder what Jack Sparrow is up to?

I was listening to George Noory on "Coast to Coast AM" the other night and one of his guests, a ship captain that helps finds jobs for merchant mariners, claimed that there might by radioactive cargo on board and a few of the pirates have radiation sickness or even died from it. Don't know how true it is, but I'm just passing it along.

Chuck M.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:18 PM
The Stat Guy

Radioactive materials? This situation is getting very special...

I was listening to MSNBC this morning; apparently, the US and France are on the scene. We have one destroyer easily seen, and several others just far enough out that they can't be easily seen and it's difficult for the pirates to tell how many are out there. The French have been sniping at the pirates from helicopters every time they try to leave the ship; they haven't been shooting the pirates yet, but when they get in their motorboats, they destroy the outboard motors with .50 caliber sniper rifles. So somebody is doing something.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:58 PM

Hmmm, SEAL, SCUBA gear, nderwater explosives. Would that equal plausible deniability?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Yesterday I read that three of the pirates had been killed... by their own kind. Apparently, an argument broke out among the group on board the hijacked vessel as to what to do and it ended in gunfire. Poetic justice, I say. Those idiots are on the biggest of all emotional rollercoasters right now.

"Wow, we struck the mother load! Freakin' tanks! This is awesome. Wait 'til the guys back in Mogadishu hear about this!"

"They're Russian tanks, stupid."

"Oh sh*t, we just hijacked the wrong people's boat."

"Hey, anybody notice the Arleigh Burke class missile destroyer off our port bow?"

"And isn't that a French frigate?"

"Guys, maybe this wasn't such a good idea..."
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 10-02-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man 1966

I was listening to George Noory on "Coast to Coast AM" the other night and one of his guests, a ship captain that helps finds jobs for merchant mariners, claimed that there might by radioactive cargo on board and a few of the pirates have radiation sickness or even died from it. Don't know how true it is, but I'm just passing it along.

Chuck M.
I've heard that story, but I thought it was a different ship with another group of pirates.

http://copeab.tripod.com
Old 10-02-2008, 06:57 PM

If the past is any guide, the pirates will find that the Russians have no patience in these matters; when terrorists in Beirut kidnapped four "diplomats" (read: intelligence agents) and murdered one, the GRU went out and found out who the leader of the group that did the deed was, and found his brother. They sent the brother back to the family-one piece at a time. Hostages promptly released with profound apologies. In this situation, the Russians won't waste much time talking to these creeps, and will teach them the folly of their ways. The survivors will probably be interrogated (harshly) and disposed of (the waters off Somalia are notorious for sharks....).

Old USMC Adage
Old 10-14-2008, 05:33 AM

I've been bush for 5 days. Any news on if/how this was resolved?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:40 AM
bigehauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man 1966

Chuck M.

Is there ANY way I can listen to this show where I am(Okinawa)?

I love love LOVE that show, but, sadly(almost choking up here lol) I have not been able to hear the show for literally YEARS.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigehauser
Is there ANY way I can listen to this show where I am(Okinawa)?

www.wlsam.com I believe that they stream it.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Grimace Send a message via AIM to Grimace Send a message via Yahoo to Grimace

It seems it's pretty much impossible to find any information after Sept 30 about this article. So I couldn't tell you what's new. The last reported is that there were something like 4 naval ships around it, the pirates were vowing the fight to the death (oooo...big threat) and the Russians were still steaming to the area.

Silence after that.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:41 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

The last report was last weekend. They will sink the ship if their demands are not met, and they will start killing the crew.

I asked this in another discussion group.

"Are they that stupid?"

The ship and the crew are the only thing keeping them from being killed by half a dozen countries. They kill the hostages or sink the ship they will loose their sheild. And the boat is basicaly surrounded, they try making a break to shore in their powered lifeboats, well, I can only imagine the gauntlet they would have to run to make it. I would bet on them succeeding.

At this point, I think their best bet is to radio, "You can have the ship back, we will be leaving, we'll take a couple of the crew with us in our boat as we motor to shore, and let them go once we land. Sorry for the misunderstanding." That is the best thing they can manage at this point, unless they want to go down with the ship or openly surrender and face a maritine trial for piracy.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
At this point, I think their best bet is to radio, "You can have the ship back, we will be leaving, we'll take a couple of the crew with us in our boat as we motor to shore, and let them go once we land. Sorry for the misunderstanding." That is the best thing they can manage at this point, unless they want to go down with the ship or openly surrender and face a maritine trial for piracy.
I hope they keep acting stupid and someone gets their thumb out of their asses and butchers them to a man. And feeds the bloody scraps to the sharks.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:41 AM

I read today that pirates who took a ship with tanks and other military equipment (I'm assuming its the same ship with T-72 tanks etc) have reached agreement on a multimillion dollar ransom. If its true, the article says the crew will be released shortly, once payment details are confirmed.

I'll be amazed if this goes through. Certainly an interesting end to things ... or maybe the beginings of something else ... ??? !!!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:15 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdusk
I read today that pirates who took a ship with tanks and other military equipment (I'm assuming its the same ship with T-72 tanks etc) have reached agreement on a multimillion dollar ransom. If its true, the article says the crew will be released shortly, once payment details are confirmed.

I'll be amazed if this goes through. Certainly an interesting end to things ... or maybe the beginings of something else ... ??? !!!
Dammit, paying them a ransom is just encouraging them. It's the same reason why you don't (theoretically, anyway) negotiate with terrorists.