RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 07-15-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfield View Post
As I said, I have always taken the canon as a model, as have others. Its neat, but, as you say, it has flaws, not the least of which were the greater challenges of doing research in pre internet days.

Anyway, it's easily fixed. First, have the Vice-President killed by other means. Heart attack, or shelter they were taken to is nuked, etc. Or even the VP does survive. The main point is: how do you create an interesting succession crisis?

Some gms will not want one. Others will like it. I'm on the fence about it at the moment as I'm planning my campaign.
Personally, I do agree that it's not the most realistic - and its why if I ever run a game, I'm going to be working on it a bit - particularly because of all the info that has come out since the 90's in a book like Raven Rock, that shows how exactly something like this would have went down, in terms of succession - it's seriously an excellent book. Though its bit of SCOTUS leaves a bit to be desired... Actually, I don't think the Supreme Court is mentioned once in the books - though it's been years since I've truly read them.

Also dear lord - over 6 years since I posted that and this convo is still going strong.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:00 PM
The Stat Guy

Well...it's a bit controversial, but I don't think that post-Twilight War, there is actually anyone who can claim to be the legitimate government of the US. Certainly not CivGov, with no quorum, little communications with most of the US or its forces, and gunfights on the House floor. Not MilGov, which pretty much smacks of a military coup and someone yelling "We've got all the toys, it's us or no one!"

So pick your side. You just have to decide for yourself who to stand with right now. Feel free to change sides if necessary. My choice is MilGov since I'm career Army, but right now, both sides are illegitimate/equally legitimate, in my mind.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 07-16-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Well...it's a bit controversial, but I don't think that post-Twilight War, there is actually anyone who can claim to be the legitimate government of the US. Certainly not CivGov, with no quorum, little communications with most of the US or its forces, and gunfights on the House floor. Not MilGov, which pretty much smacks of a military coup and someone yelling "We've got all the toys, it's us or no one!"

So pick your side. You just have to decide for yourself who to stand with right now. Feel free to change sides if necessary. My choice is MilGov since I'm career Army, but right now, both sides are illegitimate/equally legitimate, in my mind.
Ironically, it's probably MilGov who matches up closest to what would actually happen in real life. I don't member where, but I remember hearing that there were plans to include everyone from military official to the country's CEOs in the line at some point.