RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 04-25-2009, 12:00 PM
no! Cut the blue wir.. BOOM!!

Default thermite thread... or something...

I am a big fan of sci-fi (and proud of it, i am gonna rule the day, when i get my own spaceship... ...since i know everything abouth tricorders and the cochran anti mater-mater stream... yes it is a joke... a poor one, those are the ones that i know )

but back to the subject at hands, i was watching a show called stargate sg1, where they (the heroes) where all, but one, behind bars (think the jail bars of the excellent movie Rio Bravo (with the duke)).
The one not captured, came back for his friends (ofcourse), and had some sort of twine or wire that he wrapped around the bolt mechanism, that connects the lock to the door, after starting the fuse, it did not explode, but had a bright sparkle effect and burned through the lock... ...making him the instant hero of the group.

my question is: is this method only a hollywood moviemagic trick?
or could you fashion thermate-th3 in this way, like a "string" instead of a grenade?
Old 04-25-2009, 02:33 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDevil
I am a big fan of sci-fi (and proud of it, i am gonna rule the day, when i get my own spaceship... ...since i know everything abouth tricorders and the cochran anti mater-mater stream... yes it is a joke... a poor one, those are the ones that i know )

but back to the subject at hands, i was watching a show called stargate sg1, where they (the heroes) where all, but one, behind bars (think the jail bars of the excellent movie Rio Bravo (with the duke)).
The one not captured, came back for his friends (ofcourse), and had some sort of twine or wire that he wrapped around the bolt mechanism, that connects the lock to the door, after starting the fuse, it did not explode, but had a bright sparkle effect and burned through the lock... ...making him the instant hero of the group.

my question is: is this method only a hollywood moviemagic trick?
or could you fashion thermate-th3 in this way, like a "string" instead of a grenade?
A standard thickness piece of twine, but made of thermite, on the lock? Hmmmm, was the lock like a PAD LOCK? If that is the case, then it could possibly cut through the bolt. But realisticaly it would have melted the lock mechanism into a useless solid piece and making it worse for Tiuk, Samantha Carter and Dr. Daniel Jackson to make their escape.

And who was in command?

Colonel Jack O'Neal since his background as McGiuver would allow him to do such feats.

Or was it the new comander Lt. Col Cameron Mitchell?

Although if Vala is on board then anything is possible!

But hey, I don't know anything about that program!

I have little doubt that a chemical compound could be created that is the size of twine that can burn hot enough to cut metal, but I doubt it would be stable enough. I would think you could have better results with a little better thickness of detcord or C-4 or similiar plastique.

And then we have to other things to consider,

1.) What is the metalurgy of this metal from a forgien planet that has what composition and metalurgical process?

2.) Was the twine explosive Qu'uld technology? Was it from those alien dudes, Atlantian or what?

3.) Most gear the SG-1 team has is top secret, some based on alien tech so it is available to just the SG teams, so would it be available in a T2K world?

But, I bet it was that McGuiver who whipped it up using the coffee creamer package of an MRE, some matches and an old boot lace! Admit it! It was him wasn't it!

PS;

I thought it was going to be a good post on WP and Thermite since they are my two favorite greandes, they can do so much damage, ya gotta love em!
Old 04-26-2009, 02:35 AM

Default lol...

i guess it was man made. and the lock where like a pad lock as guessed.
and nope mr macguyver where in jail and where freed.

anyway, i guess i got my answer: a big whopping NO it does not exist! could be made, but you probably end up locking yourself even more in jail then your captives did, not a good thing when trying to escape...

so thanks for destroying another cool movie gadget hehe

but yeah, thermite is definitely a cool thing, after trying to find information about it, i saw possibilities of usage in the game, should be "easy" to cook up to (i mean, hey if mythbusters can do it...), when i say easy i mean relatively, in real life i would probably end up making a hole, all the way to china ("oh that is a sign for ounces... obs..."), in game i would mix it up in a half an hour... (i have a big chemist score)
Old 04-26-2009, 04:12 AM
The Stat Guy

I've heard of thermite tape -- but it's about an inch wide and close to a quarter-inch thick. Never heard of thermite thread...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 04-26-2009, 08:09 AM

I would say this,

For a padlock, I think a strip of Det Cord would be able to open a standard sized padlock, now to put that theory to the test

Remember, an explosion is just a really really fast burn! And for the life of me I just can not see something that burns so slow and that doesn't last that long doing enough to cut steel or similiar metal through.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:40 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
I would say this,

For a padlock, I think a strip of Det Cord would be able to open a standard sized padlock, now to put that theory to the test

Remember, an explosion is just a really really fast burn! And for the life of me I just can not see something that burns so slow and that doesn't last that long doing enough to cut steel or similiar metal through.
Thermite burns slow, but very hot. And sometimes you don't want to make a whole lot of noise.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:03 PM

Default well it is not a twine or a thread... but

according to this, the main idea behind my thoughts should be available...

hence making any breakout a quiet, though sparky event.

http://www.dodtechmatch.com/DOD/Pate...spx?id=6766744
Old 04-26-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
Thermite burns slow, but very hot.
According to a Mythbusters episode I saw the other day it burns at 4500 degrees fahrenheit, three times hotter than molten lava.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Player to be named later

A recent episode of "Burn Notice" showed Fiona using a coffee can full of thermite to burn through some gangbanger's engine block. One part of me wanted to cry to see a GTO treated that way, but another part said "Ooohh, I wanna use that in a game."
Old 04-27-2009, 12:49 AM

Thermite grenades have to be abot the coolest "weapon" I've ever had the pleasure to use, albeit in an RPG rather than RL.
Not a lot of blast of fragmentation, but damn do they mess up enemy equipment!

Thermite, as we learnt on Mythbusters over the weekend (same episode Targan saw) is simply powdered aluminium and iron (I think, missed the second one) mixed together VERY carefully - even the heat generated by mixing can be enough to ignite it.

The Hindenberg airship we all know and love ("Oh, the humanity") was coated in paint incorporating both these elements - a big contributor to the catastrophy.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:30 AM

Default to legbreaker...

...and targan... dont forget that they had to mix some other ingredients in to the mix of aluminion and iron
"and to make the thermite solution final we have to mix some blur into it, and some other blur"as savage said (standing holding to bottles that where blurred out, you cant show everything ya know)

yeah, thermite is cool...

using a creamic holder, you can point the way the thermite burns, see previous post of mine...

also: "Addition of barium nitrate to thermite increases its thermal effect, creates flame in burning and reduces the ignition temperature.
"

thermite grenades is excellent sabotage tool, dropping it into enemies canons, cars, engines, mouths etc etc

"go thermite!"
Old 04-27-2009, 03:29 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRay73
A recent episode of "Burn Notice" showed Fiona using a coffee can full of thermite to burn through some gangbanger's engine block. One part of me wanted to cry to see a GTO treated that way, but another part said "Ooohh, I wanna use that in a game."
Back when TechTV was still on, they destroyed a desktop computer using thermite. That was spectacular! Something in the computer reacted violently to the thermite -- lots of sparks and flaming!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:13 AM

Was this the myth busters where they try to cut the vehicle in half using thermite? That was kinda coool.

Per game, I usualy try to have my characters have at least 1 thermite grenade as a last ditch anti tank weapon, or for denial of other vital equipment.

And we actualy did do the thermite grenade through the engine block demo when I was in. It was just so cool!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:17 PM

Default hmmm...

i thought i had seen them all (mythbuster), but i cant remember this one...

i remember they tested some thermite in a frying pan and on a lookalike replica of the zeppelin...
frying pan just for fun: cool!!! you can almost see the child in savage`s eye...

but from tv to thermite in game... my characters will from this day forth have one thermite grenade handy, if possible... i swear it to Odin, Thor and Loke, and may Hugin and Munin tell them if it aint so, so they may strike me down, or deny me the rights to enter Valhalla...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
Was this the myth busters where they try to cut the vehicle in half using thermite? That was kinda coool.
Yep, that's the one.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 AM

Default gotta love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRay73
Burn Notice is kinda cool .

Sometimes its just stupid , but mostly its just plain fun - some of the ambience shots make me wish for Miami...seems most women are "tall and tan and young and lovely" there -the weather is nice ...( I have been once actually -admittedly ,it wasnt much to brag about .It was overcast.We stumbled into a big Christian rally -not many skimpy bikinis).
Old 04-28-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
some of the ambience shots make me wish for Miami...seems most women are "tall and tan and young and lovely" there -the weather is nice ...
Sounds like Perth.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
According to a Mythbusters episode I saw the other day it burns at 4500 degrees fahrenheit, three times hotter than molten lava.
Doh! You stole my quote!!!