L1A1/FAL 29 29.29%
M-14/M1A 32 32.32%
G-3 25 25.25%
AR-10 6 6.06%
M-1 Garand 8 8.08%
other (list below) 6 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2010, 03:42 PM

Thanks to StainlessSteelCynic this is one of the weapons I remember seeing at Singleton. http://www.nvtech.com.au/index-pastProjects.html

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Thanks to StainlessSteelCynic this is one of the weapons I remember seeing at Singleton. http://www.nvtech.com.au/index-pastProjects.html
Never seen those photos before now. Awesome. Love it. What a pity it wasn't adopted by the Australian Army.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:35 PM

Why do you do this to me guys!!

Can I pick All of the Above? I love em all for different reasons...As far as my own personal owenership goes I own both an M1 and an M14 type rifle as well as a South african FAL parts kit that I can never seem to get around to building

I have always favored the power range and accuracy of battle rifles. Cut my teeth shooting the M1 and M14 on the high power shooting range. My first rifle though was a Chinese type 56 SKS not exactly a battle rifle in that it fires an intermediate cartridge but more so in form than other rifles in 7.62x39mm. (I also own several Mosin nagant rifles and a 1903A3 springfield wich is deadly accurate.) Edited that being said I have made some of the best shots with an M1 rifle I think I shoot it slighlty better than I do the M14.

I think the FAL, SLR and M14 are some of the best of there breed. The FAL and G3A3 platforms are certainly more common the world over but given my loyalty I have to put one up for the M14. But I wouldnt feel under armed with any of the choices in the poll. The US Army is adopting a new AR-10 rifle designated M110 to replace the M21 and M24 rifles.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:34 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
That bullpup M-16 is just so ugly...yet oddly-attractive...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 02-17-2010, 03:51 PM

The base weapon is actually an L1A1 SLR but they're scrounged parts from an M16 to form the stock.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-17-2010, 08:10 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
The base weapon is actually an L1A1 SLR but they're scrounged parts from an M16 to form the stock.
Well, L-1A1-based would be different -- she's ugly, but always puts out!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
she's ugly, but always puts out!
I see a comment forming here...
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 02-18-2010, 03:38 PM

Despite the drawbacks of the M-1 Garand (weight, limited ammo, the "ping"), I would take it in a heartbeat, particularly if based in North America. .30-06 packs the one round knockdown, is accurate, and would make an excellent hand to hand weapon (particularly with the bayonet attached) when the ammunition is exhausted.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:04 PM

It's partly the lack of weight and size that makes me lean away from assault rifles and towards the heavier battle rifles (although primarily the greater punch of a 7.62).
Assault rifles such as the M16 (especially) and Steyr AUG just aren't suited for bayonet work - their ability to accept a blade seems more like an afterthought.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
It's partly the lack of weight and size that makes me lean away from assault rifles and towards the heavier battle rifles (although primarily the greater punch of a 7.62).
Assault rifles such as the M16 (especially) and Steyr AUG just aren't suited for bayonet work - their ability to accept a blade seems more like an afterthought.
Hell yeah. And being on the receiving end of a butt stroke-smash combination from an enraged soldier swinging an SLR would be devastating too. That weapon is externally damn near unbreakable.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:50 PM

Try that with an M16 and you'll end up with nothing but shattered plastic disintergrating in your hands.
Of course a butt stroke with an M60 is even nastier.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Try that with an M16 and you'll end up with nothing but shattered plastic disintergrating in your hands.
When I went to basic, they let us use real M-16A1s on the bayonet assault course since the training battalion was slated to re-equip with M-16A2s. Hilarity ensued... I got off lucky, I only shattered my handguards. We had snapped-off stocks, bent barrels, cracked pistol grips, and lot, lots, of shattered and missing handguards. We had to do a special range walk to pick up all the pieces.

But we completed the course!

Edit: screwed that up. The 4th ITB was getting newer M-16A1s as the regular units were getting the M-16A2s. I hate when I screw up a good story!

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 02-18-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:12 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico20854 View Post
I see a comment forming here...
Oh c'mon, we all knew those girls in high school and college. I never took them up on it, though. It's in a way embarrassing, but I was 21 before I lost my virginity. It's much better when you actually love the person you are doing it with.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:16 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
And then you rake their face with your bipod (if it's retracted).

Old 02-19-2010, 03:55 AM

Actually, I was thinking the foresight would put a decent hole in somebodies face...
The spare barrel would do some serious damage when swung too - just be sure it hasn't just been swapped out and is still smoking hot!

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-22-2010, 04:41 PM

Micromachine
The M1 is a really good choice!
its "deficiencys" really arent....like Limited capacity, 8 rounds of .30-06 will keep you from wasting ammunition.....and if you need more rounds you can always load another clip in the rifle. Clips can be loaded into the rifle extremely quickly! faster than a magazine can be changed.

Wieght isnt bad either...the rifle makes an excellent hand to hand weapon and it amazingly sturdy...carrying it around is tough but id rather carry a heavy rifle all day and have some range and killing power. I have competead with the M1 using iron sites at 1000 yards and hit man sized targets...so it definitly has long range effect.

A potential useful bit of info you can carry M1 clips in M14 or M16 pouches (with the loops cut out) 6 clips will fit in each pouch. You can also carry M1 clips in the oldschool M-79, M203 vest one clip in each grenade pouch it will hold 25 clips!

I think the M1 Rocks....my only concern would be if I lost all my clips. You might not always have time to pick them up. They you only load the rifle one round at a time....which is still suprisingly fast.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 AM
8th Guards Mech Corps

Send a message via Yahoo to Anton_Lysenko

Privyet!

I have to go with the SVT-40, "Stalin's Garand." 7.62x54, 10 round box mag...and it looks as sharp as hell. The only accessories are a scope, a bayonet, and a sling.

Me with mine at a public "demo" (ie, dog and pony show) in Waxahatchie, TX:

Call me old-fashioned.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:16 PM

SVT-40 a true Frontovik!

Another good battle rifle always wanted one for my collection seems like every time I almost aquire one something gets in the way. I have almost bought about 4 of these rifles. Not to mention the cut down Carbine version of these rifles is extremely appealing

actaully had a twilight game set in russia and one of the players aquired a SVT-40 PU from a great Patriotic war diarama in a musuem. It was later used with deadly effect.

Gotta Love 7.62x54R leave it to russia to develope a round nearly the same ballisticaly to 7.62x51 only 80 years before we did! There is reason that this round is being used today even though it was invented in the 1880'

Love the SVT though they are sadly harder to get these days.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:53 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_Lysenko View Post
Privyet!

I have to go with the SVT-40, "Stalin's Garand." 7.62x54, 10 round box mag...and it looks as sharp as hell. The only accessories are a scope, a bayonet, and a sling.

Me with mine at a public "demo" (ie, dog and pony show) in Waxahatchie, TX:

Call me old-fashioned.
Damn, that's awesome. I have only seen those in books. I can't even remember seeing those in any movies. Stalin's Garand.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:51 PM

SLR for me, although I also have a great deal of affection for the old Mk4 .303.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:54 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Come on guys, get outside the box, SMLE and SLR blah blah blah! Both good systems but its like having vanilla icecream all the time. Get out of your rut! Find, study and enjoy the whole color spectrum of the rainbow as far as rifles go!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
Come on guys, get outside the box, SMLE and SLR blah blah blah! Both good systems but its like having vanilla icecream all the time. Get out of your rut! Find, study and enjoy the whole color spectrum of the rainbow as far as rifles go!
Umm... but I do only eat vanilla icecream. Its my favourite and I don't really like other flavours. I do take your point though. Its just that the icecream analogy doesn't apply to me very well.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:16 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Umm... but I do only eat vanilla icecream. Its my favourite and I don't really like other flavours. I do take your point though. Its just that the icecream analogy doesn't apply to me very well.
Smarty pants! You know very well what I am meaning!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:07 AM

Default G-3

Or AG-3 as we call it -AutomatGevær-3 .

It is a sturdy,accurate and reliable piece of gun .Heavyer than carbines,only 20 round mag etc etc .

But still - us Norgies have had it since the late 60s and used from the Polar Circle to the Bekaa Valley.

We now use the HK 416 which is like an M4 with a piston system - only better than an M4 -

I havent quite decided yet which one I favour -but the AG-3 is definently a good battle rifle.

I see many have the SLR as primo arma. I cant argue with that choice either -proven and re-proven .

I think many tend to choose whatever they are most familiar with though.Stick with what you know in a way .

As for use in game terms , the battle rifle is very useful if you have good STR and AG .If not , the recoil builds up to fast for efficient use imho.

Still in game terms - if you get them with the 7,62x51 you get them good. The 5.56 you might get them straight off - but maybe not .
Old 04-07-2010, 07:12 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters View Post
if you get them with the 7,62x51 you get them good. The 5.56 you might get them straight off - but maybe not .
I'll agree as someone who's shot people with an M16 -- shot placement is absolutely vital. But then again, 7.62mm NATO is too powerful for use in a main force assault rifle.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:28 PM

Very Wierd Poll..Most here have not been to combat or have carried all these weapons in or to Combat. So we are going off what we have read or heard ...This is not good. I have attended Foreign Weapons Instructors course and Have handled all the above weapons in Static Live fire and In BE's. I had a preferance for the G3 with the FAL a close second. I own a M-1 and a M-14 and shoot them often. If I was in Combat where I had to have a Battle rifle I would choose the FAL..Its not better then the G3 but there are more out there to use and I would feel I would be well armed with a reliable weapon that had the power to stop any two or four legged creatures.....
Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 PM

The arguement on the 5.56...go stand in the street and let me shot you in the chest and then I will ask you if it is a under-strenght round...ok thats right you would not be able to talk you would be dead.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:39 AM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAW0306 View Post
Very Wierd Poll..Most here have not been to combat or have carried all these weapons in or to Combat.
The poll is titled What is your favorite battle rifle for your PC? It's for the game, not real life
Old 04-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
The poll is titled What is your favorite battle rifle for your PC? It's for the game, not real life
But the thread is titled "Favorite battle rifle". I have made the mistake of answering the title (rather than the poll) more than once.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:47 PM

once again another attack by a guy who cant read. Good job buddy. way to make your point.

Tags
polls, weapons