RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2008, 03:22 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default OT - Finaly a drink for us T2K-ers

General Pain 06-16-2008, 02:13 PM http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink9993.html

Targan 06-16-2008, 11:53 PM Sounds good. I want to try it. I don't know if we have Squirt in Australia though.

TiggerCCW UK 06-17-2008, 04:23 AM Likewise, I'm not familiar with squirt. Greatest shot I've ever come across is the Throat Punch. 1/3 measure JD, 1/3 measure Southern Comfort, 1/3 measure Amaretto. Depth charge the shotglass in just enough coke to cover it. Lovely.

I did get asked for a Black Bastard the other night. 1/2 Black Aftershock, 1/2 Absinthe. Putting aside the dubious name of the shot (I don't think its racially motivated - the police over here used to be called that becuase of their dark uniforms) I can't imagine there being any pleasure in drinking it.

weswood 06-17-2008, 05:20 AM Years ago, a buddy and I were at a bar owned by a family I'm friends with. Greg had left the table for some reason, and Stacey came by to take our drink orders. I told her I wanted a couple shots of something that goes down smooth but will light a fire in ya.

Greg came back to the table and asked why I was smiling. I told him I'd just had a fantasy come true, Stacey just gave me a pair of Buttery Nipples!

1/2 Butterscatch schnapps, 1/2 Bailey's Irish Cream

TiggerCCW UK 06-17-2008, 05:25 AM Wes, I reckon that'd be a bit sweet for my taste. Try a Starry Night Surprise if you get a chance. 1/3 Red Aftershock, 1/3 Blue Aftershock and 1/3 Goldschlager. Mix it all so that it goes a nice deep purple colour with the flecks of gold spinning in it. Probably the most attractive shot I've ever seen. Our biggest selling mixed shot is the Chocpop (2/3 Creme De Menthe 1/3 Baileys for anyone not familiar with it), but far and away my biggest seller is Jaegermeister, mostly drunk as Jaeger bombs.

Targan 06-17-2008, 05:45 AM They all sound good, except maybe for the Black Bastard, that sounds a bit gnarly for me.

TiggerCCW UK 06-17-2008, 05:49 AM Its not one I would have fancied at all, plus we don't sell absinthe, so I managed to avoid having to serve it. So far I've managed to avoid getting absinthe into the bar - I've a feeling it wouldn't mix too well with the students. :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Targan 06-17-2008, 05:56 AM Matt, one of the guys who plays in my Middle Earth Harnmaster campaign and was also involved in my Gunmaster Cyberpunk campaign, is a bouncer at a number of nightclubs here in Perth and is a rarity among my role playing mates - he is physically bigger and more scary in real life than most of his RPG characters. I have a number of physically capable RPGing mates (including, I like to think, myself) but Matt is 6'6" and has biceps as thick as my thighs. Great bloke though, very good natured.

TiggerCCW UK 06-17-2008, 06:30 AM Thats the best kind of bouncer - big enough that they don't need to be nasty all the time. I've seen too many dodgy bouncers over the years, who are only in the job so that they can actually start fights. Granted I only spent about a year working the door, but I never once started a row or threw a punch in that time.

General Pain 06-17-2008, 08:33 AM Wes, I reckon that'd be a bit sweet for my taste. Try a Starry Night Surprise if you get a chance. 1/3 Red Aftershock, 1/3 Blue Aftershock and 1/3 Goldschlager. Mix it all so that it goes a nice deep purple colour with the flecks of gold spinning in it. Probably the most attractive shot I've ever seen. Our biggest selling mixed shot is the Chocpop (2/3 Creme De Menthe 1/3 Baileys for anyone not familiar with it), but far and away my biggest seller is Jaegermeister, mostly drunk as Jaeger bombs.

more jægerdrinks for your pleasure

http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/5627/

General Pain 06-17-2008, 08:35 AM Its not one I would have fancied at all, plus we don't sell absinthe, so I managed to avoid having to serve it. So far I've managed to avoid getting absinthe into the bar - I've a feeling it wouldn't mix too well with the students. :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Have an unopened bottle of proper Absinth from Prague

pmulcahy 06-17-2008, 11:41 AM Being a teetotaler, all I'm left with from all that is the Squirt...which is good stuff anyway!

Antenna 06-17-2008, 04:40 PM Well, our Gaming groups favorite drink for many months was the Phantom

Beerglas

3 cl Vodka (Finlandia 40%)

2 cl Liquer 43

Fill up with milk

top with 3 icecubes

The danger with this drink was as we found was if you sit and drink this drink and get a plenty of em you don't notice that you are wasted before you gonna get out of the seat. =)

Antenna

weswood 06-17-2008, 08:59 PM Dangit, General. I wish you hadn't posted that link. I've already spent way too much time checking out the recipes, and I'm not that much of a drinker.

Tigger- what can I say, sometimes I get a sweettooth. Although I've been known to drink just about anything straight on the rocks. Last party I went to was a coconut rum & coke thing, after the first one I decided to forgo the coke, it diluted the taste.

General Pain 06-18-2008, 01:11 AM Well, our Gaming groups favorite drink for many months was the Phantom

Beerglas

3 cl Vodka (Finlandia 40%)

2 cl Liquer 43

Fill up with milk

top with 3 icecubes

The danger with this drink was as we found was if you sit and drink this drink and get a plenty of em you don't notice that you are wasted before you gonna get out of the seat. =)

Antenna

That sounds disturbingly familiar.....

O'Borg 06-18-2008, 03:17 AM Last cocktail I had was 1 mug Horlicks, 2 shots dark rum garnished with 2 tablets of Nytol.

Fairly effective at dealing with my insomnia

My vodka-fruit smoothie didnt turn out quite so well though...

TiggerCCW UK 06-18-2008, 03:35 AM Being a teetotaler, all I'm left with from all that is the Squirt...which is good stuff anyway!

I'm in the same boat Paul, but I still maintain my professional curiosity. Its always handy to have something up your sleeve for those people who think its fine to just ask for 'any shot' when the bar is six deep.

Todays handy hint from the bar trade;

When ordering a drink know what you want. Or if you order a random shot, don't piss and moan if I put something you don't like in it.

Poor Merchant 06-18-2008, 02:46 PM How about a very nice simple Portonic?

Tall glass, ice, 50/50 white port and tonic water with a sprig of fresh mint. You can make it up in a jug like Pimms - very refreshing on a warm summers afternoon. Simple to make and unusual enough that most English people have never tried it before. I'm hoping it will be a nice summery day Saturday as I will be making them from 12 noon til 9.30 at night.

TiggerCCW UK 06-18-2008, 03:02 PM I'm hoping it will be a nice summery day Saturday as I will be making them from 12 noon til 9.30 at night.

On duty or off? :cocktail: I have to admit to having never heard of that myself. Can't see the students going for it too much sadly - unless its got Red Bull in it they tend to not be too interested. Had one the other day ask for a Southern Comfort and lime with Red Bull. What is wrong with these people?? We come from the land of proper whiskey!! Why would you drink anything else.

And yes, I'm expecting a light roasting for implying that Southern Comfort isn't a proper whiskey. I'm wearing my asbestos underwear :flame:

Poor Merchant 06-18-2008, 04:38 PM On duty or off? :cocktail: I have to admit to having never heard of that myself. Can't see the students going for it too much sadly - unless its got Red Bull in it they tend to not be too interested. Had one the other day ask for a Southern Comfort and lime with Red Bull. What is wrong with these people?? We come from the land of proper whiskey!! Why would you drink anything else.

On duty - I am pouring Port for consumers at Taste of London in Regents Park. I haven't seen whats on the schedule but probably LBV, 10 Year Old Tawny, a single Quinta, white port in Portonics and the new pink port (which is nowhere near as bad as I expected when I was first told about it). The day is split into two sessions so reducing the chance of the punters being totally off their faces by closing time (the worst show I've done was the BBC Good Food Show in Birmingham - our company stopped attending after three years because the consumers were so badly behaved).

I'd give the Portonic a try - use something like Taylor's Chip Dry White Port, and the fresh mint really lifts it - as it is genuinely a nice light drink on a Summer afternoon.

TiggerCCW UK 06-18-2008, 05:09 PM Don't tempt me - I've been sober for three years now, and I'm not keen to slip back down the dark ways :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Good luck with the weather this weekend, hopefully it'll be nice for you. Its my weeekend off this week, and I've just submitted another assignment for my course, so I'm planning on not doing too much this weekend. Play with Terri-Anne (really must stick a pic or two up), maybe cut the grass, just chill out generally.

Targan 06-19-2008, 12:26 AM And yes, I'm expecting a light roasting for implying that Southern Comfort isn't a proper whiskey. I'm wearing my asbestos underwear :flame:Why would you receive a roasting? Southern Comfort is technically more like rum than bourbon.

TiggerCCW UK 06-19-2008, 02:57 AM Why would you receive a roasting? Southern Comfort is technically more like rum than bourbon.

I've nothing really against anyone drinking SC, as long as they're a lady or a 12 year old who can't handle proper booze. Far too sickly sweet and sugary for my liking.

Poor Merchant 06-20-2008, 06:42 AM I've nothing really against anyone drinking SC, as long as they're a lady or a 12 year old who can't handle proper booze. Far too sickly sweet and sugary for my liking.

I quite agree - of course I'm obliged to support responsible drinking as part of my job (says the man who knocked off early yesterday after a meeting and spent the rest of the day drinking with colleagues - beer rather than wine as I'm not too keen on most wine served in pubs). As this marked my second "binge drinking" event of the week I'm probably heading for a government blacklist somewhere.*

*I might have a bit more respect for government standards in this area if they were actually based on some measurable science instead of figures plucked out of thin air by a bunch of doctors shut in a room while they came up with a number which have since been accepted as "gospel" (Rant Over).

Targan 06-20-2008, 07:03 AM Beer is good for you. It is more of a food than a beverage. The pyramids were built on beer.

Wine is good for you. It contains anti oxidants which help your body negate those nasty free radicals that are partly to blame for the ageing process.

Australia makes great wines, red and white. Western Australia (where I live) makes particularly good wines, especially the Swan Valley (less than a half hour drive from my home) and even moreso the Margaret River region (which is also a darn fine place to visit if you like surfing and/or staring at hot Australian chicks wearing very little clothing).

This message was brought to you by Tourism Western Australia. "Where the bloody hell are you?"

Poor Merchant 06-20-2008, 12:43 PM Beer is good for you. It is more of a food than a beverage. The pyramids were built on beer.

Wine is good for you. It contains anti oxidants which help your body negate those nasty free radicals that are partly to blame for the ageing process.

Australia makes great wines, red and white. Western Australia (where I live) makes particularly good wines, especially the Swan Valley (less than a half hour drive from my home) and even moreso the Margaret River region (which is also a darn fine place to visit if you like surfing and/or staring at hot Australian chicks wearing very little clothing).

This message was brought to you by Tourism Western Australia. "Where the bloody hell are you?"

I rather agree (although modern beer is rather different from the medieval variety) - moderation is the key. We represent two wineries from South Australia (one based in Coonawarra and one at Wrattonbully & the Fleurieu Peninsula) and they make some really nice kit. Neither go in for those awful big reds, or overdone chardonnays and they are really popular with the top London restuarants.

We used to represent Smithfield Winery from Western Australia but they got bought out by a multinational who decided they would market them in house, c'est la vie in the UK wine trade. So now we represent top notch family owned vineyards who are not so likely to be bought by some global behemoth.

GOF 06-20-2008, 06:41 PM ...Southern Comfort is technically more like rum than bourbon.

Closer to vodka or bourbon than rum, rum is made from sugarcane products, Southern Comfort is made from cereal grain spirits and is coloured & flavoured with caramel

I usually 'guest' on RPGHost forums cos I dont really want to say much and while i dont do twilight2000 I do do some alcohol and wanted to reply to this

Southern Comfort in USA is available in 21% to 50% alcohol but in Australia only as 35% to 40% unless you can find 100 proof (50%) but it's rare

I suppose I cant be a real man cos I'll drink Southern any day of the week, I don't much care for the taste of many whiskys but I drink em to get the buzz

I dont drink bourbon cos it tastes like someone left some paint stripper in a pan and the cat crapped in it

Here in Australia, the idiots and shitheads drink bourbons cos it's "the real mans" drink <heavy sarcasm>, I'll drink other stuff to go counter to that because i'm a contrary bastard.

weswood 06-20-2008, 09:09 PM I dont drink bourbon cos it tastes like someone left some paint stripper in a pan and the cat crapped in it

Here in Australia, the idiots and shitheads drink bourbons cos it's "the real mans" drink <heavy sarcasm>, I'll drink other stuff to go counter to that because i'm a contrary bastard.

Anybody who knows what cat crap soaked in paint stripper tastes like is a "real man" in my opinion. Is that an aquired taste?

Poor Merchant 06-21-2008, 03:48 AM Anybody who knows what cat crap soaked in paint stripper tastes like is a "real man" in my opinion. Is that an aquired taste?

Of course, cats pee is a legitimate tasting note for some Burgundies (I remember when I first started my tasting training going around the supermarket sniffing items quoted as aromas when nosing - I felt more than a bit ridiculous!).

Just setting off to work and it is a steady, very wet drizzle here. Its going to be a grim day unless it clears up a bit.

TiggerCCW UK 06-21-2008, 05:01 AM Just setting off to work and it is a steady, very wet drizzle here. Its going to be a grim day unless it clears up a bit.

Much the same here. No cutting the grass for me today.

I think the most unpleasant thing I ever drank was Bacardi 151. Tastes very much like what I imagine petrol tastes like. Only way I could drink it was as a shot - if you mixed it with anything it didn't alter the taste at all, there was just more of it. Horrendous stuff.

weswood 06-21-2008, 05:24 AM How bizzarre. I think Poor Merchant is in Australia, Tigger's in Ireland, and I'm in Texas and we've had thunderstorms the last 2 days here.

I think the worst drink I've had was some cheap tequila at a party I went to a few weeks ago. It was so bad I was the only one who could drink it without making a yuck face.

Targan 06-21-2008, 06:22 AM Closer to vodka or bourbon than rum, rum is made from sugarcane products, Southern Comfort is made from cereal grain spirits and is coloured & flavoured with caramel.I stand corrected. I was making an assumption based on where Southern Comfort is produced. Not really my cup of tea when it comes to spirits but each to their own.

Here in Australia, the idiots and shitheads drink bourbons cos it's "the real mans" drink <heavy sarcasm>, I'll drink other stuff to go counter to that because i'm a contrary bastard.I'm afraid I have to agree with you on that point, with some qualification. I am actually a bourbon drinker (on those rare occassions when I drink alcohol) but I don't drink pre-mixed bourbon-and-(insert various nasty crap mixer here) and I don't much care for most budget priced bottled bourbons. I usually drink Maker's Mark, maybe not the very best of bourbons but it suits my tastes. I also like Canadian Club but I think that spirit hasn't decided whether it is a bourbon or a scotch.

In Australia most drunken yobboes seen getting themselves blind drunk at music festivals or out on the turps on the nightclub strip on a Saturday night will probably be drinking some variety of cat piss bourbon, sad but true.

weswood 06-21-2008, 07:07 AM I'm afraid I have to agree with you on that point, with some qualification. I am actually a bourbon drinker (on those rare occassions when I drink alcohol) but I don't drink pre-mixed bourbon-and-(insert various nasty crap mixer here) and I don't much care for most budget priced bottled bourbons.

That's the advantage of being an occasional drinker- you can afford the better boozes. Personally, I'm a simple man, I tend to drink Jim Beam or Crown Royal when I'm buying. More often than not, I drink it straight over ice. Mixers, especially Coke, lead to worse hangovers, IMO.

Targan 06-21-2008, 12:34 PM I drink it straight over ice. Mixers, especially Coke, lead to worse hangovers, IMO.Wise words. I concur.

Poor Merchant 06-22-2008, 01:24 PM Well yesterday turned out to be about 63F a bit humid and very cloudy. We had a good crowd of consumers at both sessions (afternoon and evening) - (very few arseholes ar either). Today was warm and sunny (and again very few arseholes) - I think I possibly got a bit burnt.

My wife and a few of her friends had a good time wandering around too (I had bagged a few free tickets (usually £21.00 a time).

I found a new (to me) regional brewer (Deuchars of Edinburgh) which produced a very nice light IPA (at3.8% ABV) and a "heavy" at 4.1% called Caledonian. I traded some of our port for a couple of bottles so I'm a happy camper.

Southern Comfort is revolting as far as I'm concerned (sickly sweet...etc) - I'm not really a spirit drinker (Tanquery Gin and Tonic is my standard option in that department), if I'm out out in a bar I'll usually go for lager, and at home I'll hit the wine stash (one advantage of my job is that I have a wine allowance as part of my package).

Twilight2000V3 06-23-2008, 12:24 AM Cross of Iron:

Not really a drink but more of an award if you can get through it...

1 shot of Jager

1 shot of Goldslager (sp)

1 shot of Rumplemintz (sp)

chase it with some beer (you dont have to finish the beer)

If you can do more than 3-4 in an hour you're a hell of a man and should qualify for the award!

Headquarters 06-23-2008, 01:23 AM Cross of Iron:

Not really a drink but more of an award if you can get through it...

1 shot of Jager

1 shot of Goldslager (sp)

1 shot of Rumplemintz (sp)

chase it with some beer (you dont have to finish the beer)

If you can do more than 3-4 in an hour you're a hell of a man and should qualify for the award!

dont you mean one hell of a drunk ? (thats like 10-12 shots and a couple of beers in one hour )

I used to do a little barwork myself -as the years drag on I really have come to enjoy the simple delights a bit more rather than the multiple ingedient ones I prefer a 2-stage rocket . Rum and coke -plenty chilled and with loads of ice -but of course .Too much coke it gets to sweet,to little ice it gets to sweet..not enough rum it hets to be too little rum ..

anyways - a buddy who was an MP in IFOR/SFOR told me he went to visit and break the ice with his Slovak counterparts .They were a couple of Norwegians , bringing a few beers and a couple og wine bottles,pretzels etc etc .When they got there the fridge was empty as barren. But the little freezer on top was crammed with vodka bottles.They each got a glas and when one of them asked for a mixer the Slovak MP said -" is for the ladijes".

they drank their vodka frozen but bare .