RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default High initiative PC's

kcdusk 11-09-2005, 03:50 AM initiative v2.2

A high initiatvie player gets 2 actions per round (highest initiative character goes first on say round 7) and then at half that, round 3.

So does that mean that an initiative PC can run 30m on round 7 and then cover another 30m at round 3 - effectively covering 60m in that round/turn?

Terminology (ie round or turn) might be wrong, but you get my point?

Along the same lines can a high initiative PC fire on turn 7 and then fire again on turn 3?

ReHerakhte 11-09-2005, 04:01 AM initiative v2.2

A high initiatvie player gets 2 actions per round (highest initiative character goes first on say round 7) and then at half that, round 3.

So does that mean that an initiative PC can run 30m on round 7 and then cover another 30m at round 3 - effectively covering 60m in that round/turn?

Basically, yes.

Along the same lines can a high initiative PC fire on turn 7 and then fire again on turn 3?

And again the answer is yes but the second shot can only be conducted as a Quick Shot (see pg 202, middle column just above the Range heading).

Cheers,

Kevin

graebardeII 11-09-2005, 09:13 AM And using that rule, a high init player can actually have an aimed shot each turn (aim first, shoot second).. IF they are alive to do so

Targan 11-09-2005, 10:48 PM Aiming and firing in the same round, I guess, would be like that shot (actually a couple of shots) that Staff Sgt Barnes took in Platoon when he dropped that VC running from the village from a fair distance away. I always thought that was a cool scene! (Although the slaughter and rape of innocents in the village obviously wasn't cool).

Badbru 12-04-2005, 07:23 AM initiative v2.2

Terminology (ie round or turn) might be wrong, but you get my point?

I would allow the first action aim followed by the second action an aimed shot so long as they weren't oving, but no way would I allow 60meters covered in the one 5 second combat turn. Not even if they're just in shorts and T shirt and sprinting. Some of the best runners in the world can barely cover 100m in under 10 seconds and you think a guy in full combat gear can cover 60m in 5 seconds. That'd be a big exploit. In any event I think the rules state you cant reach the 30m per turn running rate until the turn following a 15m per turn trotting rate don't they?

If they started in a standing position I'd allow a snap shot (if they didn't aim the previous turn) on action 7 or 6, followed by trotting 15m on action 3.

Lindgaard 12-04-2005, 02:00 PM Actually the chapter on movement says "Combat movement rates are expressed in meters moved per five-second combat turn"

( page 195, middle column )

It doesn't matter how many actions the pc have, he can still move max. 30 meters, and he can't shoot while running ! ( page 203, right column, movement and fire )

regards

Lindgaard

ReHerakhte 12-04-2005, 03:08 PM OOOPS!!

Looks like I gotta go back and read some of the rules, I completely forgot about that. It's a good thing I haven't been running any games for the last six months... then again, maybe that's why I forget half the rules!

Cheers,

Kevin

kcdusk 12-04-2005, 03:30 PM Agreed - I wouldn't allow the 60m of running.

We are talking about high initiative PC's though, so a quick shot followed by a run I would allow.

I have more trouble accepting the aim (turn 7) and shoot an aimed shot (turn 3) in the same turn.

Are we agreed though, that I can fire 5 shots or bursts in turn 7 and then another 5 in turn 3? Thinking through the logic, its not necessarily a measure of technically can you do it. It abstractly shows that a high initiative PC can identify and engage targets better than a novice who can only shoot once (in effect putting a "squirt" of fire down field and then "admiring" there work rather than putting down some more fire ....).

Badbru 12-04-2005, 08:56 PM I think you have to split that ROF between the actions. Think about it, saying you can get five bursts on action 7 and 5 bursts on action 3 is like saying you can get six rounds out of a pump action shotgun in 5 seconds.

Maybe in the real world you could but that shoulder is going to be sore.

kcdusk 12-04-2005, 09:01 PM C'mon, his game shoulder might be sore! Shake it off!

What good is a high initiative PC then if most actions are forbidden?

Really, not trying to powergame, just seeing where other people will draw the line. I'd like to stick to realism as much as possbile but was looking for ideas for what you could do with two rounds of action instead of 1.

Tags
rules