RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Weapon Accessories

kcdusk 10-26-2005, 11:37 PM What sort of houserules do people have in place for weapon accessories?

I'm thinking of things like (folding) stocks, laser sites, bi-pods, tri-pods, telescopic lenses, light attachments etc.

Some of these are covered by the rules (v1.0 or 2.2), but what is your accessory, and what is its game modifier/influence?

For example;

Bi-pod. Adds 30m to range.

Tri-pod. Add 45m to range.

Telescopic lens Add 15m to range and 2 aimed shots instead of 1 per round.

jtr 11-01-2005, 06:46 AM G'day,

Depends what you're playing. If it's the standard post-apocalypse T2K scenario you're lucky to get a scope and that's covered by the rules. If it's a mercenary game then you can trick up your weapons with all sorts of gizmos and the GM may or may not decide to go nuts with rules.

In my experience 99% of mercenary games fold when the characters begin to discuss what gear they want. For some unknown reason most RPG mercenaries shop 'til they drop and the GM usually throws up his hands in horror and goes off to self-medicate. Most RL mercenaries are lucky if they get a decent pair of boots and a functioning firearm.

Personally I am much more interested in the FEEL of a game rather than being overburdened by rules. In my experience the best-run games were always big on feel and low on rules.

Cheers

John

pmulcahy 11-01-2005, 08:45 AM There are a lot of little things you can add to a weapon, most of which do not really have any effect in game terms, except for making the player happier. Some which do have some effect are bipods, tripods, scopes/optical sights, and folding stocks. They are all covered by the game rules.

TR 11-01-2005, 08:46 PM Oh I don't know Paul, if you have green RPG'er adding onto his favorite rifle a laser aiming sight, flashlight attachments (2), reflex sight, bipod, and drum magazine a really devious GM could have all sorts of fun... weight for example is going to go up so have funny lugging it around, bulk will go up of course, not to mention heaven help them in an ambush as the enemy will know right where they are when the PC flips on the switch for the LAM and Flashlights BEFORE taking his shot... :biggrin:

kcdusk 11-01-2005, 11:32 PM I couldnt find any rules for stocks/folding stocks in V2.2. Are they there? Is there a page #?

ReHerakhte 11-02-2005, 02:19 AM Hey kc,

The rules for folding stocks are not stated as such but simply put, they change the bulk of the weapon so for example the AKR on page 101 of 2.2 is listed as Blk 2/3. The number to the left is Blk with the stock folded and the number on the right is with the stock extended.

As a House Rule, I also tend to increase Recoil by 1 for single shot and 2 for auto fire if the user fires the weapon with the stock folded/closed. Some other people have mentioned decreasing the range as well but I couldn't be stuffed going through all the weapons to put that info in!

Cheers,

Kevin

Enforcer 11-11-2005, 01:00 PM My pc's have learned to use brass catchers on their weapons, because when they didn't have brass for reloading, they didn't have ammo. If they didn't say they were picking up brass, they didn't do it, therefore, once again, no ammo.

pmulcahy 11-11-2005, 08:45 PM I recently downloaded a picture from Usenet called the "Swiss Army Assault Rifle." I'll have to put it on my site for you guys in my next update. It will, of course, be in the Humor section...

Tags
rules