RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 07-25-2015, 05:03 PM

Default Tips for a first time PD?

I've never run a game of TMP before, but I plan on starting one soon. Does anyone have any tips for me so I can do this right?
Old 07-25-2015, 06:21 PM

The biggest one I can say is: know your group. TMP is a modern game, and a relatively realistic one in game play. I've had players charge into certain doom, unable to recognize their peril or know how to address it. This may not be a problem depending on your OWN level of knowledge, but you should be aware of it so you can give helpful information that their characters would know even if the players do not.

Another one: know the game world. TMP modules tend to assume a certain series of events, a certain path of travel. Teams may well have different ideas than the game designers, and you don't want to force teams to do things they don't want to do. Prepare for them to go off script, go into areas you had not expected and do things you had not planned.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:41 PM

I would say have the players create their characters then to demonstrate how deadly MP combat can be have half of the PC's fight the other half starting about 30 meters apart. Like the gunfight at the OK corral. This lets everybody practice the combat procedure.

I agree with Cosmicfish. Pick two or three of the survivor groups and create an encounter with each one. One encounter could be a bought badge in a small community of fifty souls, that is about to start a trial of an innocent teen accused of murder framed by the mayor's son as vengeance for his spurred advances. Another encounter could be larger community of about 300 medievalists with knights and ladies serving in court that have caught a (real or perceived) witch with psi powers. Be prepared to improvise.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:53 PM

I'm planing on starting the campaign with the Liberation at Riverton module and going from there, but it's all very bare bones because I'm not that creative.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:34 AM

Since Riverton is based in Michigan and I agree that most groups don't stay on script, you still may want to have relevant groups. Michigan has a number of groups that study and preserve native american culture and traditions, so you may want to have an amerind group ready to suggest the team help those poor people at Riverton. There are also pockets of survivalist in the "Thumb" area if they go way off the rails. They might be better or worse than the Imps. Basically, you do need to consider putting some thought into a couple other encounter groups.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:32 AM
Internet Intellectual

https://sites.google.com/a/jadetiger...dom-generators
Old 07-26-2015, 03:19 PM

Default I agree

I agree with all of the above but would add two things: Be flexible on things and take your time. Even though I'm an experienced GM/PD, it took me a while to get the hang of the mechanics even though I don't run a deadly campaign. Keep is posted on how your doing please.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:28 PM
Internet Intellectual

Hours of preparation for every hour of game time.

I would have your players over and just do some firefights. Your group will get some time with the game mechanics and learn how deadly the system can be.

Build some NPC profiles and a batch of mooks and thugs to get mowed down.

Know the other encounters and groups in the region, Maxwell's militia, The Warlord of Kankanee, and the Napoleon's Own.

Have some basic villages and some basic hovels or cabins sketched in case your players wander off.

Have some NPCs fleshed out to feed your players information or to beg and plead for them to act against the terrible IMPs. Just to get them back on track.

Maps, maps, maps. Notes, notes, notes. It is all in the preparation.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:52 PM

Maps and worldbuilding, particularly as some teams decide not to head for a listed objective but decide they need to check out something else right off the bat!
Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 AM

Default Winging it

One thing you will find is that there is not much directly related to the MP in terms of publications, virtually that is in print is done by Timeline however.... There is a fair amount in the fandom area, like what RandyT0001 has done. The website THE SUPPLY BUNKER has a lot of fanon material that may be of use.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:36 PM

Default Relax

Several of us have been PD's over the years. Yes, you need to plan things to make the game enjoyable. BUT never forget that it is a GAME!! Sometimes a game session will go as planned. Most of the time it will not. TMP is a RPG. Let your players experience the world of The Day + 150 years.

If the session does not go as well as you wanted it to, ask your players. Did they have fun. What would they change or keep the same. Learn.

As others have said, anyone who has been a PD has had great sessions. AND terrible sessions.

My $0.02

Mike
Old 07-27-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
THANKS Sgt. This loos like a great site.

My $0.02

Mike
Old 07-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo80 View Post
THANKS Sgt. This loos like a great site.

My $0.02

Mike
Your welcome. It is VERY Dungeons and Dragons oriented. However, there is some post apocalyptic bits here and there. The map generators can spit you out a village in a hurry. Google "Geomorphs" for other terrain generators. The storyline, plot, and motivation generators can build you up some interesting NPCs in a hurry.

It is a good resource when I am stumped or I have "Writers block".
Old 07-27-2015, 08:02 PM

I made this basic village map. The grid squares are 50 feet by 50 feet (15 meters by 15 meters). The map covers 400 feet (about 120 meters) by 500 feet (about 150 meters). I plan on using it for the Badges encounter I wrote about earlier in the thread. Added an inverted version without the orchid.
Attached Images

Last edited by RandyT0001; 07-28-2015 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added metric measurements
Old 07-29-2015, 05:13 PM
Internet Intellectual

http://wizardawn.and-mag.com/rpg_apoc.php

All modern Geomorphs.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:25 PM

Village Hall (#3 or #14)
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 10:25 AM

Precision Products

Precision Products has four production lines: watches, clocks, timers, and gauges. Each production line has one master artisan, two expert artisans, four production artisans, and two apprentices. The four production master artisans and a fifth master artisan that serves as the company president are the board members. The alcoves face south to take advantage of natural lighting. The total workforce is about 45 people.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 01:33 PM

Default what graphic program

Randy, what graphics program do you use to make those nice maps?
Old 08-02-2015, 02:43 PM

Campaign Cartographer 2 by ProFantasy software. Version 6.12 from 2002. The latest edition of it is Campaign Cartographer 3. Between 2004 and 2008 I took a break from RPGs. Now that I am back into RPGs I installed it on this computer and it works ok. Didn't feel like buying a new version for drawing some buildings and small maps for Morrow Project. Might download some symbol catalogs and templates.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:18 AM

The more advanced political entities like the Kentucky Free State, Warriors of Krell, Maxwell's Militia, the Frozen Chosen, etc. will have a few locations where ammunition for their firearms is made. If their enemies can find and destroy most of these locations their offensive operations would soon grind to a halt due to an ammunition shortage. These locations are guarded, hidden, and/or disguised as something else to protect them. Once the protective perimeter is breached what will one find inside such a building.

There will be machinery to make the bullet jackets, the jacketed lead core bullets, the casings and create the cartridges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a1G1XGhnTY
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2015, 02:59 PM

Slave quarters or low rent flats in Louisville for factory workers.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 PM

Ground Floor. Twenty five offices for the reps, four committee rooms, cafeteria, kitchen and restrooms. The stairs on the ground floor leading down go to the basement.
Upper Gallery. Balcony where citizens, residents, and the press can watch open deliberations.
There are numerous windows in the ground floor exterior walls and the upper gallery exterior walls. This building has centralized heating and A/C.
1. Stairs up.
2. Stairs down.
C. Closet
M. Male Restroom
F. Female Restroom
Attached Images

Last edited by RandyT0001; 08-06-2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-06-2015, 02:17 PM

I got a map of Michigan and circled the nuke locations so i know whats gone. Thank god for google maps, it make it so easy to give geographic and demographic info.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight77 View Post
I got a map of Michigan and circled the nuke locations so i know whats gone. Thank god for google maps, it make it so easy to give geographic and demographic info.
http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/gmap/hydesim.html

http://www.nucleardarkness.org/nucle...sionsimulator/
Old 08-11-2015, 05:57 PM

Tech D Medical Facility
Attached Images

Last edited by RandyT0001; 08-11-2015 at 08:08 PM.