RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Campaign Forums > HQ's T2k Campaign > HQ - General Discussion

Old 12-17-2008, 03:38 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Default FM DeCorba

DeCorba's hideout in Hearst Castle has some pretty decent
GE kmz overlays..
Old 12-31-2008, 02:21 AM

Default DeCorba's Castle former Hearst Castle

here is a nice picture from GE
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 AM
Out on bail

Love the pool...
Old 01-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Field marshal with an itch

Default DeCorba Castle

Yes, Gentlemen, just add a bunch of fortifications and a couple of well prepared artillery postions around the castle and on the surrounding mountaintops to complete the picture. Also imagine the open ground between the pool and the main house stamped hard by the boots of battle hardened men lining up for morning inspection

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stegger/sets
Old 01-01-2009, 03:11 PM

glad to have you onboard
Old 01-01-2009, 03:21 PM

gaah.. still hung over from new year´s..

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

Old 01-01-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDeCorba
gaah.. still hung over from new year´s..
I can see that your sitting right beside me.....
Old 01-05-2009, 12:01 PM

yahhr

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

Old 01-05-2009, 12:03 PM

Skal vi se om den jævla avataren funker nå da

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

Old 01-06-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Skal vi se om den jævla avataren funker nå da
english only my american friend
Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 AM

Default anybody besides the campaign participants read this stuff?

?

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

Old 01-07-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
?
yes - some of the forum members njoy reading what us vikings do - so will keep this forum in english and in a polite tone....
Old 02-12-2009, 01:26 PM

Default San Simeon update

The once luxurious estate of Hearst Castle - now DeCorba castle -sits on top of a hill looking out on the pacific and the coast line to the west .To the east,south east and north the terrain is broken by hills and mountains .

The devestation and chaos after the november 2004 attacks and the subsequent violence left the populace in a desperate situation .To the east fearsome warlords were enslaving everybody ,to the south Mexican factions were taking over -and a military junta calling themselves the Federal Goverment but known as MilGov ruled by martial law in many areas .Enter the freebooter and soldier DeCorba .By creating the 1st Pacific Rifle Regiment he and his fellows ousted the many local chiefs on the coast and achieved supremacy .They organized the supply situiation ,trained an army and fought back the onslaught of other factions .When the smoke cleared the hero of many battles ,DeCorba , was in control of San Simeon and the nearby towns .His way of ruling was simple and efficient in the rural and agricultural society that now was California -feudalism .Every settlement had a military leader charged with the defence and administration of the area .Small settlements fielded a squad .Larger ones a platoon .Towns whole companies or battalions .All postions were named by military rank and the higher the rank ,the more important the officers holdings.Personal loyalty to DeCorba and proficiency in the field were the pre requisites for a commission .The hard world of T2K suits such a system well .Over the years the feudal structures were embedded as people came to regard the security it provided as more valuable than the dreams and ideals of a nation forever lost.The symbols of feudalism were not encouraged though to keep from estranging the populace -save one term -the Vassals .DeCorba earned the nickname "The Baron on the Hill " or just Baron -though none dared say it to his face -save cheeky miscreants like General Pain and his cultist army.

After taking power in this region and by and by expanding north and south ,DeCorba and his battle -hardened veterans once ruled a vast tract of land up and down the Californian coast .In every populated area or town DeCorba had installed one of his vassals -bound by word of honour to remain fiercly loyal to DeCorba and his family personally .In their support the vassals would levvy troops and funds to fuel the forever ongoing wars against rebels ,bandits,holnists, other warlords and the major players -MilGov ,MexGov and CivGov .Sons and fathers were lost in the fighting .Sacrifices were made .And the reward was the continued rule over th evassal fief by those left behind by the deaths.They were promised the land -and those who could not rul ewer egiven granst to support them as well as promises for their children .

As the tides of Pacgov politics turned a new power arose -the NDP .Enticed by their power and the high positions they offered him as well as pressured by their leaders , DeCorba joined their ruthless utilitarian dictatorship as a cabinet minister.The egalitarian (in name at least ) system of the NDP allowed for no personal privilges and the vassals were stripped of land and holdings for the good of the NDP state. DeCorba played both horses ,promising the vassals return of priviliges and the end to nationalizing .He created a secret organization ,The Vassal cCuncil, to to work to this end -led by himself .As the NDP grew more oppressive and in DeCorbas absence the Vassal Council revolted against the NDP in in th elast chaotic part of the 2nd American Civil war .Waging a guerilla war that grew in intensity and audacity ,the Vassals took one town after the other back from the NDP who by now was stretche dthin on all fronts. The Vassals sought only two things - a return to the way of feudalism -and revenge on the man they all despised as a traitor and opportunist -DeCorba .

Legal Clarification : as the DeCorba house sided with the anti -feudalist NDP in taking a cabinet postion in their goverment ,all vassals now claim to be relieved of any bond of honour towards the DeCorba family .They lay claim to independence -some even offering DeCorba a chance to serve them as their vassal or serf.(This would entitle him some rights under the old charter).Most are antagonistic towards the old SanSimeon rule .Some for reasons of revenge ,but most for wanting to stay independent .A few are probably aspiring to fill the vacuum after the fall of house DeCorba .

deCorba ,on the other hand has not relinquished his claim on supremacy over the vassals and hold any of them not obeying his command as rebels .

Situation :The field armies of the once affluent San Simeon empire were attacked by nuclear weapons as well as conventional weapons .As the General staff was incinerated along with most of the supply divisions and rear elements ,the frontline units collapsed and scattered.They were already in a hasty retreat at the time .The nukes devestated much of the newly built industrial capacity in the san Simeon area -and did a fair bit of damage to the castle as well .The worst effect however -was the loss of control .
by gametime actual , your patrols report that rebel scouts are frequenting the mountains 2-3 km east and south east of the Castle. Some daring ones even entered San Simeon bay in a skiff -taking the warehouse by force and hoisting their colors while burning yours .Several locals were taken away before th arapid reaction force could intervene .Some patrols have reported skirmishes with rebels that actively pitch for a fight .DeCorba kloyalists or suspected sympathizers are strung up all opver the the former territories.Anti deCorba grafitti is everywhere. men in ski masks with assault rifles roam the hills and attack anyone believed to be doing your bidding .

The nearby town of Cambria is held by a variety of rebel families -probably the ones who looted the warehouse is among them .

At Ragged Point the road is closed by a rebel group that taxes travel heavily as well as demanding tribute from all nearby settlements.

Most other towns or settlements all the way up and down the Cabrillo Highway / "1" are in the same state-governed by force by new or old masters -but in fairness -the security situation does not allow for anyone to remain disorganized and unarmed.

This pattern repeats it self too many times to recount individually all the way up and down the coastal roads,the coastal ranges and the Central vally that used to be under your control .Of the major metropolitan areas ther eare no news as of yet .

You hav epicke dup quite a bit of radio chatter -most of it mundane .You are now in firm control of the castle ,the airstrip and app. 3 km out from your firing posts .Patrol sare sent out daily .There have been a few casualties .
Old 02-19-2009, 02:13 AM

Default After the retreat

The DeCorba clan settle in -uneasily - in the small town of Eureka.

(Find a suitable adress and note it down please -this thread will do nicely )

There are some bad news, however .Even though most of the supplies that were left behind were burnt ,the castle itself is more or less still standing ,and now the abominable MacRae family has hoisted their haggis smelling colours over the ramparts -a constant effrontry to the honour of your house.Or so you hear from the refugees that trickle in from the Central Coast area.

As the head of the DeCorba house you are formally approached by the council for contributions to the joint militia that they are setting up .

Any weapons,vehicles and supplies you can spare will be greatly appreciated.

Other than that they hope you will parttake in common interest tasks such as security patrols and hunting the marauders.

They also ask that you keep as low a profile as possible due to your history as a former PacGov Warlord .The majority of the townspeople are former MilGov ,and many others have reasons to begrudge the house Decorba for its actions over the years.

This means no landgrabs,recruiting etc etc without going through Councilman Willis first .
Old 03-03-2009, 06:19 AM

Default Rations And Pay

Your quartermaster informs you that given your current situation you will be out of food in 9 days (downtime actual) -unless you break into the secret stash wich makes it 2 days more .

After 9 days -or 11 days depending- your personell will begin to starve .It is predicted that they will be able to survive from 14-38 days given enough clean water .

He asks you to advice him in further communications on this subject to the men .

Your personell officer informs you that some new potential recruits have been located -but not signed up yet .Do you wish to enlist them ?

Also a possible solution is to downsize the organisation according to personel dept.

1st. California Volunteers have stated that they will pay every able bodied and loyal man and woman if they join their ranks , so unemployment is not really an issue to worry about if people are let go .

What are your orders?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:30 AM

1. I clearly stated that the castle should be left entirely destroyed and uninhabitable before I left, specifically to avoid the situation described. Given my characters expertise as a combat engineer and access to copious amounts of explosives, I should have been made aware of the failure of that plan before moving ahead.

2. I will sell my mine and my men´s services to the local Govt. for food. I am also willing to trade heavy equipment for calories, but the absolutely last resort should be to fire loyal troops.
Hence, me and my men will take on first line duty for the common good in exchange for food and ammunition. If the council feels it does not need our services as an independent force, then we will offer to enlist wholesale, under the condition that we are not dispersed, but remain a single unit. The experience and expertise thereby offered should be interesting.

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 AM

1.No battle plan survives contact with the enemy .The castle is partially destroyed ,but the abominable neo -feudalists have the main house and some of the other buildings as well .Yes it is in disrepair.Much of it is uninhabitable.
Nevertheless-there you are .They have a camp on the premises,its garrisoned by a force of unknown strength -and they fly their flag from the remains of the roof as an even more annoying insult to your honour!!!

2.Eureka council have for a limited time only openings for able bodied young men and women to enlist in the newly formed 1st california Volunteers.

They accept you offer to enlist your unit wholesale on the following four conditions -these are non negotiable -

1.Officers above company level will be appointed by the council

2.the unit who will be renamed to 1st california Volunteer Assault Brigade
will not be stationed in Eureka proper .Nor will it have an independent supply unit ,but rely on resupply from the Volunteer militia supply companies.

3.You will relinquish personal operational command of the unit until further notice .Your new posting as an officer in the 1st California Volunteer militia will be
" Liason Officer " with the rank of COLONEL.You will be attached to your former unit ,but YOU will not lead it .Your 2ic will take this post for now.This might change when time and circumstance dicates and your devotion to the values of the militia are proven.

4.Your unit will serve primarily in the first line as scouts and a rapid reaction force .Since these operations are mainly on a platoon level ,the unit will be operating in a dispersed manner.It will remain under the same unit hierachy however.

The deployment will start in 7 days,form which date payment will start -in which time new markings and patches etc must be in place .Unit banner,insignia and awards are accepted as long as they fit in to the overall profile of the militia in general .

Do you accept ?

Quote:
1. I clearly stated that the castle should be left entirely destroyed and uninhabitable before I left, specifically to avoid the situation described. Given my characters expertise as a combat engineer and access to copious amounts of explosives, I should have been made aware of the failure of that plan before moving ahead.

2. I will sell my mine and my men´s services to the local Govt. for food. I am also willing to trade heavy equipment for calories, but the absolutely last resort should be to fire loyal troops.
Hence, me and my men will take on first line duty for the common good in exchange for food and ammunition. If the council feels it does not need our services as an independent force, then we will offer to enlist wholesale, under the condition that we are not dispersed, but remain a single unit. The experience and expertise thereby offered should be interesting.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
1. I clearly stated that the castle should be left entirely destroyed and uninhabitable before I left
If I had had any doubt that there was even a foot of wall standing, I would have made sure it wasn´t when I was done. This smacks of post-fact editing, and that annoys me far more than the flag supposedly flying from that hill.

As for the enrollment into the local militia, I discuss this with all my officers. Given the situation, my priority is to make sure that the interests (food, shelter) of those that have been loyal are taken care of. If they can agree to the terms, then OK. If not, I want an assessment of other potential sources of income.

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

Old 03-04-2009, 05:52 AM

Default okeeeeyy.......................................... ........ .

"Fla-flap -the MacRae banner impertinently flies EXTRA vigourously over the battered ramparts "

I think I just saw this go down differently than you when we played the hurried exodus from your areas -we agreed to take this in a downtime mode rather than actual phase by phase -so on this condition I would say that I can stand by words here .The fuel and ammo made a nice fireball in your rearview mirror as you rushed of with the other refugees , so the squad you delegated to do the job were pleased about their work .(You did delegate this when you said -" I make sure that someone takes care of the move "

Your criticizm smacks of "everything my PC tries his hand at goes well regardless of the multitude of variables that could go wrong"-ism ,but doesnt annoy me one bit

It is the overall picture that is important here ,as you did ask for it to be handled "administratively". Also I hear no such critisizm about the events that turn out in your favour ?

However I find it a fun mission to play you going back to level the place 101% to the ground instead of its 82% burnt out rubble status.

Your officers agree to the terms as it is the only possible source of getting rations without taking them from someone who is in need or prepared to fight hard for them .(raiding ,banditry and stealing doesnt sit well with most apparently -deeming after what they say )

Your 2ic admits that it isnt his first choice ,but he and all other ranks agree in unison to resign their commissions in the militia and rejoin the regiment under your leadership as soon as circumstances allow it .Thie contract states that this cannot be done while on operations or in time of war -without written consent from Militia HQ.

A pair of Colonel rank insigni is sent to your place by courier from the militia hq.

A note is attached : "welcome aboard , Colonel."

You are in the army now.

Quote:
If I had had any doubt that there was even a foot of wall standing, I would have made sure it wasn´t when I was done. This smacks of post-fact editing, and that annoys me far more than the flag supposedly flying from that hill.

As for the enrollment into the local militia, I discuss this with all my officers. Given the situation, my priority is to make sure that the interests (food, shelter) of those that have been loyal are taken care of. If they can agree to the terms, then OK. If not, I want an assessment of other potential sources of income.

Last edited by headquarters; 03-04-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:43 AM

Fine. I adress my men, informing them of the decision to become the 1st California Volunteer Assault Brigade. The unit will maintain its established traditions and doctrines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
[I]
Your criticizm smacks of "everything my PC tries his hand at goes well regardless of the multitude of variables that could go wrong"-ism ,but doesnt annoy me one bit
Really, theres that REDUCTIO AD ABSURDUM again. My criticism was aimed at the perception of a conversation that sounded something like: -"I want to make sure everything is completely destroyed and useless, no one shall be able to make use of anything there"
-"OK, your men make it happen" -"OK".
I can see that some misunderstandings can arise from this, I think however the GM interpretation in question came somewhat late, making it smack of "if it fits my storytelling needs, I will make it turn out that way, regardless of the impression previously conveyed to the players"-ism.

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

Old 03-04-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Fine. I adress my men, informing them of the decision to become the 1st California Volunteer Assault Brigade. The unit will maintain its established traditions and doctrines.

Really, theres that REDUCTIO AD ABSURDUM again. My criticism was aimed at the perception of a conversation that sounded something like: -"I want to make sure everything is completely destroyed and useless, no one shall be able to make use of anything there"
-"OK, your men make it happen" -"OK".
I can see that some misunderstandings can arise from this, I think however the GM interpretation in question came somewhat late, making it smack of "if it fits my storytelling needs, I will make it turn out that way, regardless of the impression previously conveyed to the players"-ism.
HOW DARE YOU????!!!!!!!!!

All I hear is the bitter rant of a man who has lost nearly everything and desperately tries to rationalize it by blaming someone else for his misfortunes.

The impression previously conveyed upon the PLAYER you mean .You decided it was like you imagined it when you said make it happen -but alas -it is always about the way WE imagine it -unless GM vs player imagination collides when it is the GM who has the last word .

You ordered it destroyed ,it was destroyed .Not destroyed enough for you ? Well ,the very men you tasked with blowing it up are conveniently lounging against a wall in your new (but less grand ) headquarters in Eureka .Say the word ,and a detail of marksmen with a promise of double rum rations will swiftly give you satisfaction and set an example for the rest of the troops about carrying out orders absolutely perfectly.

As said before -whatever you outsource to NPCs will be subject to GM discretion /calculatio as far as success goes .

I remember you outsourcing and me saying that it went up with a bang and burned festively .

As far as REDUCTIO AD ABSURDUM in my arguments go -that is only true when you assume that your premisses are correct from the outset.

Which CLEARLY they are NOT.

Your men give a luke warm cheer to the news and slouch of to sow new patches on their tunics.

Last edited by headquarters; 03-04-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Out on bail

Default Don Quixote rides again

LOL

This discussion is so great!
I love it when Don Quixote is slugging out against the windmills..

I gotta say, DeCorba, lick your wounded pride, and suck it up (that didn't sound right?!) This isn't one you're gonna win.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Willies
LOL

This discussion is so great!
I love it when Don Quixote is slugging out against the windmills..

I gotta say, DeCorba, lick your wounded pride, and suck it up (that didn't sound right?!) This isn't one you're gonna win.
hmm and this comes from the man who:" I'll retire ; my feelings got so hurt with the old character....humphtalk about licking his wounds....it's the GMs problem now...."

just kidding...not really
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 AM

1. Obviously, I can´t WIN a discussion concerning a Universe controlled by the other participant. Pointing out that a given situation perhaps should have been clarified at an earlier point should not be a problem in itself.

2. Clearly, the GM does not understand the concept of REDUCTIO AD ABSURDUM, however adept he is at using it. It does not depend on anything being correct,it is simply taking your opponents argument and extrapolating it into absurdity, thereby turning it around. It´s a good trick, but it´s a trick nonetheless.

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 AM

Default hmmf

Quote:
1. Obviously, I can´t WIN a discussion concerning a Universe controlled by the other participant. Pointing out that a given situation perhaps should have been clarified at an earlier point should not be a problem in itself.

2. Clearly, the GM does not understand the concept of REDUCTIO AD ABSURDUM, however adept he is at using it. It does not depend on anything being correct,it is simply taking your opponents argument and extrapolating it into absurdity, thereby turning it around. It´s a good trick, but it´s a trick nonetheless.
much like you did when you stated that the castle was destroyed for starters then.

Absurd .Utterly absurd.

see-just because you say it in latin doesnt mean that elevating your point of view to reason and the other guys to absurdity is more acceptable.

Our opinions on how it went down differ - by a degree.

Now-as for the discussion -I see myself s being able to see reason when there is some to be seen.

Last edited by headquarters; 03-04-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:55 PM

Indeed, my point was simply that that degree became unusually significant. This is normally not the case in your campaign, which is perhaps why I reacted.

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

Old 03-05-2009, 02:08 AM
Out on bail

Now this is flogging a dead horse! The only reason this became a discussion point is some wounded pride. I can see why it stings; it's the GM's choice to hold out the poison cup, but your choice to drink it.
Most of us are in a strange way proud of our characters achievements, and all of us have had to feast upon a not-so delightful meal of camels..

Quote:

Indeed, my point was simply that that degree became unusually significant. This is normally not the case in your campaign, which is perhaps why I reacted.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:01 AM

Default all done

lets move on shall we (as suggested by Willis).
Old 03-05-2009, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
lets move on shall we (as suggested by Willis).
hear hear...
Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 AM

Default come now, old chap!

Quote:

Of course adding insult to injury makes for a fuming response - anger ? great .Annoying ? fine.

A little bit of a snare then , I hope to give the CHARACTERS SOME MOTIVATION as well as possibilities - did it make you want it corrected ? Well,the dastardly MacRaes are to blame -not me!

save it for the front line - let `em have it assault brigade style .Why curse the world when its there to blow up if you are dissatisfied ?

Yes - I find that the ruined and charred castle is no occupied by the treacherous ,illegitimate scum usurpers in teh MacRae clan a good story seed.
I ALSO find it reasonable that there was some slight variations in your orders and the end result .

so there .

But lets be done .