RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Favourite Weapon

kcdusk 10-26-2005, 11:35 PM You've got a choice of carrying one weapon for all occasions. Taking into consideration weight, ammo availability, range, ROF, damage etc .... which one do you take?

I'll even concede the M-16 + M203 combo as one weapon.

Targan 10-27-2005, 01:44 AM Oh man, what a can of worms you open up with this one. I don't think there is any such thing as a weapon for all occassions. It all depends on the person, too. The M4/203 combo is great but is a purely military setup, as getting 40mm rounds could be difficult, and grenades are not the sort of thing that non-military trained folks should be messing with. In a Twilight environment with little chance of resupply the most practical choice would probably be some sort of 12g shotgun capable of firing standard or magnum shells with solid slugs or otherwise, because of the variety of loads it could fire, the ease of resupply and the ease of reloading spent rounds. IMHO.

Abbott Shaull 10-27-2005, 02:11 AM With everything given....lol Yes, it is a whole can of worms that has been open up, anyone have some hot sauce to help hide the taste....

I would say with everything taken into consideration. I hated the M16/M203 system when I had to carry it, but for game purposes if I am allowed weapon of choice it is the one I usually choose. Go figure. Well it that or the M4/M203 if it is allowed. lol

Yes, I know by 2000 the number of rounds left laying around for the 203 are few, but hey I like the extra limited firepower that it able to provide or to throw smoke a little further when needed.

Then again if the Master Key system had ever worked as billed then I would have to say it that would be likely replacement for the 203...lol

Abbott

Targan 10-27-2005, 02:22 AM Abbott, you clever man, you have combined the two points I made into one. Hah! Oh yes, the master key, that sweet, sweet system. The glory of combining the M4 with a shotgun! Just perfect for when you need to open up that door or enemy's torso! Mmm, I can smell the cordite.

Abbott Shaull 10-27-2005, 02:47 AM Well as general rule I have always considered that by 2000 the basic Fire Team would either have added either Master Key or another M203 for add fire power. Of course most of these weapons would of come by crook or just picking up weapons from the dead. Much like how many men got their hands onto Tommy Guns during WWII. Once you got one, no one really ask question where you got...lol

After the first couple months of the war and when it finally sank in that we were in for the long haul, many of the bean counters would look the other way if extra firepower came into the unit hands, and they would be hard press to report it. If a such weapons were stolen and if you were near the combat zone the loser could always try to report that the weapon was hit by artillery round and thus a total loss...lol Happen in WWII at times...just not many reported this and ending up stealing weapons to replace them...lol

Abbott.

kcdusk 10-27-2005, 02:50 AM What?

No one came right out with "The AK-47, for when you absolutley, positively have to clear out every muther-f#@ker in the room, accept no substitures".

Um, that (or something like it) is from Jackie Brown I think (sexy girls with sexy guns, hehe).

Sniper rifles have been popular on some other threads. I'm thinking its because they often have the same ROF and damage as assult rifles, more distance and you get to choose your location of aimed shots without having to half your modifier due to the sniper rifle factor.

Targan 10-27-2005, 03:04 AM Ah, now you are talking about strange artifacts of the T:2000 system, not real life qualities. (BTW, that line from Jackie Brown is one of my favourites). As I have said in other posts, the ROF in T:2000 is based on three shots, not one, for MGs and assault rifles. I suspect that the ROF for sniper rifles in T:2000 would be the same as for assault rifles because sniper rifles fire single shots. But sniper rifles are specialty weapons, and to use them accurately a person needs to be taking prone or braced shots and have correct eye relief with the sight. Room clearing or assaulting with a sniper rifle would involve removing the scope and using the iron sights, or using the iron sights built into the top of the scope if that facility is available. Believe me, that sort of work is not what sniper rifles are for. Forgive me for mentioning this again, but the system I use in my campaign is not T:2000, and much more accurately represents real life. It is hard for me to move my thinking back into the T:2000 system to work out what weapon would be best for a character in that system to use if they could choose only one.

kcdusk 10-27-2005, 04:21 AM Yeah, and i bet Samuel L Jackson has your second favourite quote in Pulp Fiction, "There's a passage I got memorized,

seems appropriate for this

situation: Ezekiel 25:17. "The path

of the righteous man is beset on

all sides by the inequities of the

selfish and the tyranny of evil

men. Blessed is he who, in the

name of charity and good will,

shepherds the weak through the

valley of darkness, for he is truly

his brother's keeper and the finder

of lost children. And I will

strike down upon thee with great

vengeance and furious anger those

who attempt to poison and destroy

my brothers. And you will know my

name is the Lord when I lay my

vengeance upon you."

The End

Um, yeah. I'm also thinking of weapons in the T2K sense. I realise real-world would be different. Lugging a sniper rifle around wouldnt work all the time.

ReHerakhte 10-27-2005, 04:45 AM What about the Steyr AUG, do you consider extra barrels for it to be acceptable? Because if yes, then I would consider an AUG/A1 (mounting rail with removable sight/carry handle so other sights can be fitted) with a carbine length barrel and the second barrel would be the light machinegun barrel with attached bipod.

Having said that, it's not the weapon I would first think of but it wins due to the versatility given by the quick change barrels, the ability to use other sights and the small overall package. My first preference would be for an FN FAL-Para because I like 7.62mmN over the other military rounds.

Cheers,

Kevin

Targan 10-27-2005, 04:50 AM Yeah, Kev tell it how it is. I didn't think about the possibility of different length barrels and other accessories. Like maybe a Para Minimi, with a full length barrel stashed somewhere as well. You're right though, gotta love 7.62mmN, the FN-FAL rocks the house. Never used a short barelled or folding/collapsing stock version myself, but the full length SLR is a classic firearm and is nigh on unkillable. And is fantastic for hand to hand. If you rifle-butt or bayonet someone with an FN-FAL, they are gonna hurt.

ReHerakhte 10-27-2005, 05:13 AM The other things that weigh in favour of the AUG for me is the optional 42-rd mag and relative ease of maintenance.

As for the FAL, having been smacked in the back of the head with the L1A1 during exercises and having stomach punched someone with the barrel (while I was poking around a corner during low level operations training, the exercise bad guy grabbed the barrel - he lost the fight after I rammed the SLR forward and he copped the flash suppressor in the stomach), it is damned handy in melee combat. Along with using them to lift someone over a wall (one person holds the barrel, the other the butt and the 'liftee' stands on the reciever and is then lifted) and as handles for an improv. stretcher, it is damn near unbreakable and I just really get into the fact that I can shoot through trees with it! Long, heavy and a bitch to control in rapid or auto fire, I still love it!

Cheers,

Kevin

Targan 10-27-2005, 05:20 AM Word, ReHerakhte. I can still remember the shock I received in basic training, watching 7.62mmN rounds from the SLR punch right through big, four foot wide jarrah logs that I had thought looked like good cover to hide behind. Jarrah, for those of you not familiar with Australian flora, is a very hard wood from a variety of euclyptus tree that grows very tall. They build things that need to last a long time from jarrah. But not things that are bullet-proof.

graebardeII 10-27-2005, 06:50 PM One weapon for all purposes? NOT really. The 7.62 NATO, good for large game and man, BUT not good for survival purposes over a long period. A shotgun would probably be more versatile, though lacks the range. With a variety of ammunition however, it is good for small game and large, as well as defense. I like the Mossberg 500 series in stainless. Yeah it's shiny, but will resist the enviornment. With the 9-round tube, and 26" barrel with improved choke. The barrel is a good for most hunting purposes, and still short enough to be fairly uncumbersome in house. Of course if I was allowed a second barrel, as comes with the Mossberg 500 combo, then I would have a 20" slug barrel for the defensive work, the 26" only being used when I was hunting.

Now a nice weapon, though not a combat weapon by any means, but good for one firearm suvival weapon, is the Savage 24 series. Over/under .22/20gauge is probably as versitile as any, however you can get them (or could) in .223/12gauge and even .308/12gauge. Single shots suck though in a fire figth.

Grae

pmulcahy 10-27-2005, 07:22 PM I personally have a love/hate relationship with the M-16 (both the A1 and A2); it's the weapon I've had the most experience with, but it was also a never-ending source of frustration for me, especially in the extraction department. I could't count how many times I've had misfires based on a failure to extract (including one actual triple-feed, though it saved my life since I trying to commit suicide at the time). Another never-ending source of problems was the magazines; they tend to be a bit flimsy and the feed lips bend easily. The Army really should invest in some new ones, at least, if not a new design.

The SAW was also a problem for me and my fellow soldiers; its a really fun weapon when its working, but its also EXTREMELY sensitive to dirt of any kind.

Now the M-60 -- I've never had a really big problem with one, except for changing the barrel, which can burn the fingers (since the nice asbestos glove was usually missing from the bag). But it's a great weapon, I think, and not worthy of the insults people give it.

Targan 10-28-2005, 01:29 AM Grae, I said much they same things about shotguns in post #2, so we are of an accord on that topic.

As for single shots sucking in a firefight, I direct your attention to the Battle of Long Tanh during the Vietnam War, when one company of 6RAR (Australian Army infantry) kicked the shit out of two, maybe three NVA and VC battalions. Admittedly, the New Zealand Forward Observer calling in artillery danger close clocked up a lot of the kills, but many, many enemy bodies would have borne the tell-tale wounds of finely crafted Australian 7.62mmN rounds, front and back, fired from (with the exception of the section MGs) single shot FN-FALs (we call them SLRs, for Self Loading Rifles).

Apparently there is a film being made soon about the Battle of Long Tanh. It should be a doozy.

ReHerakhte 10-28-2005, 05:17 AM Hey Targan, I think in this instance, the weapon Grae is talking about is a hand-loading single shot rather than a mag-fed weapon. Against even semi-autos you're going to have a bit of a disadvantage!

Now Grae, I'm not looking for any argument here as I already agree with you LOL, my choice of 7.62mmN was based pretty much on the idea of military rather than survival use so I kinda got off the track of the question really. My personal feelings are that for a Twilight type situation, I would want both a combat rifle AND a shotgun for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I wouldn't want to do it with just one firearm, even if it meant spending the first few weeks/months just looking for the second firearm.

Cheers,

Kevin

Targan 10-28-2005, 05:44 AM Right on Kev, Grae, I think we all basically agree. BTW, Grae, gotta love that Mossberg 500 Marine Stainless. You're all class!

Abbott Shaull 10-28-2005, 05:42 PM The AK-47, AKM, and AK-74 could and would be among the top 10 choices as would be almost any shotgun, but like I said they would be in the top 10. M249/SAW as would be the M60. The AUG or M240 would be too along with MP5 or any of those cookie cutter sub-machineguns which would be lumped into the top ten as 1 weapon...lol Of course would be the hand pistol or POS that one would scrounge up....

No the AKs would be 2nd choice due to the fact they seem to be the timex of weapons in they take a beating and keeping ticking. To add to the fact that ammo taken off enemy troop either capture or killed would be ready supply.

Abbott

Matt Wiser 10-28-2005, 05:59 PM Lots of decent weapons out there, so here's my favorites:

The weapon my PC carries happens to be the weapon I own in a single-shot

version: FN-FNC in 5.56mm. (He's a SEAL, and SEALs and other SOF are given

a wide latitude in choice of weapons) He also has tucked in the Humvee two

MP-5s (one a MP-5SDS silenced version); A folding-stock AK-74 is also in the Humvee. Pistol of choice: S&W Mark 23 SEAL .45. One of the SEALs carries a H&K HK-21 as his LMG. The SEAL platoon XO (a female) went with a simple M-4A1/M-203 combo.

graebardeII 10-29-2005, 08:08 PM Targan, ReHerakhte is right in his assumption, I was refering to single shot, not self loading rifles.

NOW if I were to choose ONE battlefield weapon for T2K it is the M14/M21/M1A with WOOD stock, iron sites. Why wood, because I like the feel of it, and they make for great butt strokes, and are easier to put notches on (muahaha). Why iron sites? Optics are too limiting IMO in the combat. They're fine for sniping, but require too much aquisition time in close IMO, and narrow the vision cone. Heck they're something else to go to hell too.

Of course the Mossberg STILL is the more versitile, and it's a really hard choice. Dang!

Chalkie pointed out a nice weapon to me off list though. Crossfire MK1.

Over/under pump action, magazine fed. 12 gauge, 4 round top, with .223, NATO magazine under. Nice price too.. $3,300!!!! But I liked it, really did.

firewalker 10-29-2005, 09:00 PM going agenst the grain here but how about a good hunting crossbow or even one of the mordern reprdaction black powerder guns.

as military weapons there going to take a while to come into there own (asuming a timeline were things are going to keep geting worse insted of conquering space in a little less than two genrations). but talk about the engizer bunny of weapons.

Twilight2000V3 10-30-2005, 06:18 PM Military - basic AR-15... doesnt even need to be a full auto.

Civlian - good old .30-30. Ammo is everywhere.

Max

jtr 11-01-2005, 06:23 AM G'day,

Hey, Fred is that you?

Are you STILL humping that tired old M14? ;]

The respondents are right. There is no such thing as the perfect weapon, or even the best weapon. There's a whole lot of factors to take into consideration and on any given day in any given place your choice is going to be different.

Sorry, I just can't give you a simple answer.

Cheers

John

graebardeII 11-01-2005, 08:38 PM Yeth John, it are me.

And I prefer to carry the M14, old and worn like me, but the bore is MUCH too small to hump.

TR 11-01-2005, 08:39 PM I think the question might be favorite weapon by classes... if your taking that Colt M-4A1, M-14, AK-47, FN-FAL, etc inside a house to rescue a hostage overpenetration is an issue. A big one at that... something to be avoided at all costs.

I would have to say if the nukes fell today and I had prepared my weapons by class would be the following:

Pistol: Medusa Model 47 revolver, something about being able to shoot 20+ different pistols calibers in one handgun is a good thing when your scrounging ammo from day to day.

Carbine/Rifle: Colt M-4 Carbine, either the civie version or military version as 223 Remington is popular in the states and this carbine still can engage out far enough as needed... it can take a bucketload of accessories and addons provided you can find them... and the amount of spare parts from various makers over the past decade alone means it's not too hard to support.

That's it, some people might ask why not add in shotguns, sniper rifles, machineguns and the like but I don't know about the rest of you but I only have TWO itchy trigger fingers. :wink:

kcdusk 11-01-2005, 11:34 PM Finish sniper rifle, APH -20.

Targan 11-02-2005, 12:34 AM Well, now we've covered everything, from start to Finnish. LOL. Chortle.

TiggerCCW UK 11-02-2005, 05:59 AM Well, now we've covered everything, from start to Finnish. LOL. Chortle.

Anyone got the hotline number for the pun police!!

jtr 11-02-2005, 10:28 AM G'day,

Punner. "We come in peace. SHOOT TO KILL!"

Good to see you Fred.

Cheers

John

graebardeII 11-02-2005, 06:29 PM DAMN! Is that webcam on? Wait I don't HAVE a webcam!!! )

Welcome to another line of though on T2KL John.

ChalkLine 11-02-2005, 08:08 PM It's a hard call, as everyone's said.

5.56mm are everywhere, as are 7.62mm, so they're a good choice, but the big bullet is 'too much gun' for small fry and it's weapons are often a bit long for confined spaces. The 5.56mm is a good compromise, as it allows you to hunt nearly anything, kill a person stone dead if need be and you can carry a bunch so you can shoot something lots if it's big and needs a lot of lead to take down, like a cape buffalo.

12 Gauge is good but doesn't have the carry range, if you're being sniped at you can't answer back too well, and that's a concern. Also, you might need to take a longish shot quickly without time to manouevre closer, and having a shorter ranged weapon worries me there.

In the west you start thinking things like the Ruger Mini14, compact and robust with a fairly easy to maintain action, short enought be handy in a tight house but with enough range to engage at intermediate ranges.

In the east I think Ak-47 or Ak-74, but my preference is for the old soldier as it's still a smallish round that really wallops. If I was in the east it's probably hardcore, so here I go for an auto whereas in the west I think I'd be going semi-auto. The Ak is so simple even I could probably look after it, and it's not exactly rare in the parts department, and anything funky in the accessories department I'd find would probably fit it.

As I said to Grae, the crossfire (http://securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0100/175.htm) is cool, especially if I could go the old body but the thirty round clip (http://securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/1600/1630.htm).

I'm not a pistol guy, being an Aussie, so I'd rather not carry one and carry more ammo instead.

jtr 11-03-2005, 11:26 AM G'day,

As I said before, it all depends on the time, the place and the situation.

For a TEOTWAWKI or T2K situation you'd probably want a military rifle. Ammunition and spare parts must be plentiful. No point picking a G11.

I used to think the 5.56 was enough round to do the job but I've read enough of American experience in Iraq and Afghanistan and Russian experience in Chechnya and Afghanistan to switch me to 7.62, either short or long. Overkill is far better in a war situation than underkill. The downside is that the rifles are heavy and so is the ammunition. But I'd rather pay a weight penalty than doubt my rifle.

If I was in the west I'd be happy with a FN FAL (or clone) or G3. In the east an AKM.

The downside of the G3 in a T2K situation is that the roller locking system tends to deform cases as it ejects them, leading to far more wasted brass than in a conventional action. Still, it's a nice solid, reliable rifle.

The downside of the AKM is that the sights really suck. A leaf blade set too close to the front sight post. The rifle was designed for fully automatic fire at close range and it shows. It was also designed with the average Russian peasant in mind, so it's a very forgiving weapon happy to put up with endless rough treatment. You can be sure your AKM will perform in every environment, all the time.

None of these rifles are the least use for hunting, unless you're hunting buffalo. Strictly two-legged prey.

I'm with Jim on carrying a pistol. In a T2K situation you're far better off carrying a reliable rifle and extra rifle ammunition.

If we're talking of an OTW situation I'd take a Glock. I owned one and I really loved it. .40 S&W if that's available in quantity, otherwise 9mmP. Damn John Howard and his gun phobia!

Cheers

John

Targan 11-04-2005, 01:54 AM Wise words, John, you speak the truth. .40 = good. Your fondness for 7.62 is admirable. Perhaps a G3K5 would be a compact enough weapon in 7.62mmN? Armalite make some fine carbine-length 7.62mmN weapons. Why cause one wound (the entry wound) when you can have two for one bullet? If 5.56mm is all that is available, then so be it, but if there are other choices, leave 5.56mm for midgets and women-folk (NOTE TO OTHER READERS: that last remark was made tongue-in-cheek, please don't flame me into oblivion!).

ReHerakhte 11-04-2005, 02:50 AM G'Day all,

Something that needs to be kept in mind when looking at the performance of the 5.56mm round in places like Afghanistan etc. is that ammunition is designed for specific climates and geographies.

So 5.56mm ammo from the USA will differ in performance to 5.56mm from Australia for example if for no other reason than they use propellant suited for their own climates (other factors include weight of projectile, primer performance, case thickness and so on).

The particular problems in Afghanistan came about due mostly to two factors, extreme range of target engagement and the extreme cold encountered in the more mountainous regions. The US were using a 5.56mm round that was designed for North American climates and for ranges of approximately 400m, not the colder, higher altitude areas of Afghanistan where some engagement ranges were in the region of 600-1000m.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not championing the 5.56, I still prefer the 7.62mmN and I don't care how damned heavy the rifle is because a lot of the time I used to carry either the M60 or a rifle and the Aussie version of the 84mm M2 Carl Gustav and I have a real fondness for the L1A1 BUT, as stated before, the 5.56mm is a good round for combat and hunting so I would stick with the idea of a Steyr AUG with a carbine (or rifle) barrel and the machinegun barrel.

And as much as I like the "security blanket" feel of a pistol as a backup weapon, I'm an average shot with a pistol so I'd happily take more ammo for the rifle.

(adding more fuel to the fire!) Cheers,

Kevin

kcdusk 11-04-2005, 03:01 AM Hey Guys

Been some great discussion here, especially from all you current and former gun owners.

Without meaning to start up all new rational for why it is your favourite weapon, what is your favoured T2K weapon given the game material?

Targan 11-04-2005, 03:02 AM Yes, Kev, you also speak wisely. Part of the reason the US SpecOps community has been championing the 6.8mmSPC round is because 5.56mm doesn't cut the mustard ballistically in those mountainside to mountainside engagements or in firefights where the distance between combatants on the map is 400m but the change in altitude is a similar distance or more. The projectile used for the 6.8mmSPC has a "boat-tailed" design, assisting in maintaining terminal ballistic accuracy at extreme range and when the round has lost alot of muzzle velocity. I suspect it helps the round tumble after impact as well. I have seen pictures of a reduced length and weight version of the Carl Gustav being used by some US forces, and the M-60 has been replaced by the MAG (M240). The more things change the more they stay the same. LOL.

Oh yeah, and pistols, good when you need a "silenced" weapon, good for shooting in very restricted environments, good when you need to carry concealed, good as a last ditch backup. But its gotta be chambered for a round that will drop a man hard, something like .45+P, .357mag, .40, etc.

kcdusk 11-04-2005, 03:16 AM Hey Guys

Been some great discussion here, especially from all you current and former gun owners.

Without meaning to start up all new rational for why it is your favourite weapon, what is your favoured T2K weapon given the game material?

Targan 11-04-2005, 03:41 AM GAU 8-B on a pintle mount? M242 Bushmaster on an up-armoured, nitrous kit fitted matt black Hummer? Just kidding. 5.56mm M-4 (or M-16 if there are no stats for M-4s) with a 12 gauge Master Key, Colt Combat Commander .45 on one hip, HAFLA flame cartridge on the other, Claymore mine in the day pack, grenade bandoleer with half a dozen shoot-through rifle grenades, a satchel containing a party mix of hand grenades, a bayonet/combat knife and an entrenching tool.

ReHerakhte 11-04-2005, 03:43 AM Hey Guys

G'Day all,

No surprise here when I say that in this regard my PCs usually go for L1A1, FN FAL or G3A3 (or G3A4) - all 7.62mmN!

However, I have had PCs with M16A2 or M16A2/M203.

As to what is my favoured weapon in T2k... FN FAL (and if the game material had included the folding stock version it would have been that!)

Cheers,

Kevin

graebardeII 11-04-2005, 08:36 AM T2K... M14, or M16 if no -14 is available. Ususally the 16 is what my characters carry. KISS principle.

jtr 11-04-2005, 03:18 PM Without meaning to start up all new rational for why it is your favourite weapon, what is your favoured T2K weapon given the game material?

Poland: AKM, a couple of RPO disposable thermobaric rocket launchers (love to try one of those babies out!), and a couple of frag grenades. Might see if I could find a gunsmith to do something about the crappy sights.

Middle East: Iranian G3, a couple of LAWs and a couple of frag grenades. Have to make sure the G3 barrel is in reasonable condition. Mix and match parts to make sure I get a decent rifle.

North America: SA58 carbine with 16" barrel and para fully adjustable tritium night-sights. Fully worked and accurised by gunsmith naturally... Not strictly 'historical' because the base rifle came out AFTER the Twilight War began. Plus a couple of LAWs and a couple of frag grenades.

In one game set in North America a character of mine has a Long Branch (Canada) Lee Enfield No.4 Mk2 in pristine condition. I'm really looking forward to shooting that baby! My character's basement is packed with the world's supply of .303 ammunition. Hmm. Might see about moving all that ordnance somewhere slightly less critical...

One thing I have found out about games is that even as a party of runaways in Poland, you need a reasonable mix of weapons to cover all your bases. Don't neglect hand grenades, underbarrel grenade launchers, machine guns (7.62 preferred) and the occassional LAW. If someone doesn't mind carrying an RPG7V more power to them.

Cheers

John

kcdusk 11-04-2005, 05:33 PM LAW's?

Underbarrel GL's?

disposable thermobaric rocket launchers?

Whatthe?

I didnt think you allowed any of these in your games?!?!

jtr 11-04-2005, 05:48 PM G'day,

You asked me what I'd TAKE, you didn't ask me what I'd GIVE!

Seriously though, I've allowed hand grenades, under-barrel GLs, RPGs and LAWs, though no RPO yet. Maybe for a special occassion...

Ammunition for these is usually rare so people don't go popping off all the time.

I've never given missiles. If you ever get one in one of my campaigns: worry.

Cheers

John

ReHerakhte 11-04-2005, 06:19 PM Well that's the thing to really worry about isn't it, I mean, most people can learn to use the 40mm GL with a few lessons, the LAWs take a little bit of firing to get used to but at short range you still stand a reasonable chance of hitting the target even if you have never fired one before (and I mean SHORT as in 50-100m! From memory, most of them require about 10 to 20m to arm)

As for missiles, you really want someone who has trained on them, otherwise you have a damned good chance of just wasting your money and raising the threat level the bad guys give you. If my GM started giving out missiles and we didn't have anyone who knew how to use them, I'd be getting serously worried! :eeek:

Cheers,

Kevin

Antenna 11-04-2005, 10:55 PM Hey... This would be the ultimate combo

7.62 Rynaekkoekivaeaeri 62 and the mad stare of the finns when someone threads their land http://www.ludd.ltu.se/users/antenna/extern/salute.gif

Abbott Shaull 11-06-2005, 02:08 AM Kevin as I recall it like 50 feet for a LAW for the warhead to activate. Knowing how all weapon ammo is the same...much like every gernade explodes after so many seconds... It would be 15 to 20m at min. range for the LAW to actually work.

Abbott.

DamianR 11-06-2005, 04:36 AM The 6.8 is being looked at because the 5.56N round is designed for a full length barrel, not the 14.5" length they've got on an M4, and the ballistics, both flight and terminal suffer because of it.

The 6.8 is good out to about 400-500, while my personal fave, the 6.5 Grendel is good out to 1000m out of a 20" barrel, and actually has better ballistics & remaining energy than the 7.62N past about 700m. Both also pack about 50% extra energy compared to 5.56N from the barrel onwards.

As for characters, I've carried SA58's in North America (as an Australian gunsmith in PA), an M4 and scoped G3's in Europe, as well as MP5A3's and SD3's quite a bit. Plus there was the odd Barret M82 back in the munchkin days! Another fav was the L96/AWP sniper rifle. I am a big bore fan when it comes to my characters, although I'm also partial to putting a 3 round burst into a target, often quietly.

I do tend to have a big bang to back up my sub guns however, like a 40mm GL, Rifle grenades or in one case, a 60mm mortar.

ReHerakhte 11-06-2005, 06:30 AM Kevin as I recall it like 50 feet for a LAW for the warhead to activate. Knowing how all weapon ammo is the same...much like every gernade explodes after so many seconds... It would be 15 to 20m at min. range for the LAW to actually work.

Abbott.

I couldn't remember exactly what the arming distance was for the 66mm LAW but had a figure of something like 10 to 20 metres in memory. If I hadn't been lazy and checked the net I could have found the info and the first site I checked today says arming distance is 10metres

Something like the RPG-7 has an arming distance of about the same and the 84mm AT-4 is also listed as 10m for arming.

Using the same basic principle of spinning to activate the fuzing circuit, they just need a little flight time to spin fast enough or far enough to arm!

Cheers,

Kevin

Antenna 11-06-2005, 02:30 PM One of my players say this weapon is the chooise he take any day in T2k

http://www.ludd.ltu.se/users/antenna/m2k/weap/rifles/sniper/m16.jpg

Link to M16LSSS (http://www.ludd.ltu.se/users/antenna/m2k/weap/rifles/sniper/m16lsss_p.htm)

Antenna

jtr 11-12-2005, 10:09 PM G'day,

Jim remonded me of one of my favourites last night.

The SAKO M90 in 7.62x39. All the reliability of an AK built with renowned Finnish precision.

If I'm allowed to nit-pick I would ask for a fixed stock.

Not sure if the M90 ever made it into series production. If I was ever in the market for buying arms for an army, I'd be taking a long hard look at this baby. The only downside is the HUGE price I believe they're asking. Something like US$2,000 per rifle so I am told.

Cheers

John

Badbru 11-19-2005, 03:47 PM Most of my players chose a sniper rifle from memory. Either SVD or the British bolt action AI L86? L96?. Or they went for FN FAL's or HK G3's as they preferred the extra dice of damage and the slightly longer range.

Personally for the few times I played, or for my favourite NPC's I was torn between the common, easy, and effective enough ak 47 or any pump action shotgun.

Every group needs a gpmg too.

jtr 11-19-2005, 08:39 PM G'day,

Everyone goes for a sniper rifle? Sounds like Munchkin mania.

I like 7.62 myself but you must realise that a double tap from a 5.56, requires strength 6 (3 x 2) and does 6D6 damage. Characters with strength 8 are much less common.

I agree with you about the AK. Lots around, lots of parts, lots of ammo. A wise choice.

Cheers

John

Abbott Shaull 11-21-2005, 03:15 AM Yes, it is interesting to see all of the various 7.62mm guns that everyone would equip themselves with. I agree the round has heavier hitting power, but you have to look at the pros and cons with any weapon of choice. It is part of the reason most of my character I have played have gone with the M16/M203 or M4/M203 combination. Largely due to the number of these weapons issued and to help keep with common round. In the US Army the 5.56N rounds will still be the common use rifle round and the 7.62N would still be the standard MG round.

What isn't surprising the number of us who would pick up and use AK or would take shotgun due to the number of weapons and parts for the AK and how common the ammo is for the AK and the 12 guage shotgun. What suprises me is that only but a couple listed as these as the choice of weapon there characters would have...lol The variety of reason why they didn't make these two weapons their choice...lol

I guess it should of been what three weapons you would take...lol

Abbott

Badbru 11-21-2005, 12:29 PM Munchkin mania? Perhaps looking back on it it was a bit that way though I tried to keep them honest and not get too stupid with it.

They would probably rationale it like this; 1)their character is a sniper

or2) a sniper rifle allows effective engagement of the enemy at a greater range which keeps them safer from less accurate return fire. Most sniper rifles aren't that much heavier than assault rifles. Even when equiped with assault rifles they rarely switch to "rock n roll". etc etc

None of their npc's tagging along with them had snipers rifles though so in terms of the group or unit the proportion wasn't that high.

Now that I've been thinking about it more I do remember the preferred weapon of one of my players. The Galil ARM. Why did she like it?

a) Her character was Israeli

b) It's based heavily on the AK series and as such is reportedly about as reliable.

c) I believe it will take a standard m16 mag aswell as its own slightly larger capacity mags. I may be wrong.

d) It has a built in bipod- which can also act as a wire cutter.

e) I told her I'd read someplace that the SAS had used it in some situations when they are allowed to choose their weapon of preference which seemed to seal it for her.

kcdusk 11-21-2005, 05:27 PM I'm surprised the G11 didnt get more of a mention. Especially for those using v1.0 rules that gun was far better than any other.

I also thought i'd get a mention because of how futuristic it is (if your looking for munchkin).

pmulcahy 11-21-2005, 07:32 PM I'm surprised the G11 didnt get more of a mention. Especially for those using v1.0 rules that gun was far better than any other.

I also thought i'd get a mention because of how futuristic it is (if your looking for munchkin).

I think no one mentioned it because getting ammo for it would be a nightmare in Twilight 2000.

Abbott Shaull 11-22-2005, 06:42 AM When I first started to play t2k it was actually the weapon choice. That is up to the first encounter and having no ammo left(only had 1 clip of ammo and that was all the GM allow me to have...lol and I was still in High School oh this dates me). Then it was AKs that I started to equip my characters with. Largely due the misconception of avaliability of ammo and ease to get parts. Well that lasted for a couple firefights until I had to grab a new one due to the fact one unit would AKM, the next would have AKMR, the next AKM, and then the next would have AK-74s. After that there was the Frenchman who brought his french assault rifle, again that lasted until a part needed to be replaced and I couldn't go back to the French III Corps to ask for one now could I, unless I wanted to be shot as desserter.

After that M16/M203 or M4/M203 has been my friend. Especially since so many in the groups would grab the assorted Shotguns, Battle Rifles, GPMG, and Sniper Rifles. There would be those who had M249 or plain jane M16. AK would show up along with the misplaced MP5, Uzi, or Sten Gun. Then there were the games where the GM already had the weapons picked out and it was first come-first serve in which I usually ended up with the basic assault rifle if I was lucky...lol