RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-20-2008, 05:52 PM
The Stat Guy

Default For tankers (and others) -- the VEESS

Some vehicles (especially tanks) have the ability to lay a smoke screen by injecting diesel fuel into their exhausts -- the VEESS (Vehicle Engine Exhaust Smoke System). I have been unable to find out how much extra fuel this consumes. Anyone have any figures on this (whether you are a tanker or not)?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:54 PM

I'm not a tanker, but I think I have found the numbers you're searching.

Curious system, the VEESS. I did'nt know anything about it before your post, but after little searching, it seems quite a good system to screen a vehicle.

I’ve found the link below:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...12/Appg.htm#p3

Under “Smoke defense” you will find:

“The VEESS consumes approximately 1 gallon of fuel per minute of operation. It can only be operated when the engine is running”

Talking in Twilight terms, I suppose that this system must be limited to diesel engines and it could not be used in vehicles burning methanol or ethanol, due to the risk of an explosion.

Arreveure!
Old 09-24-2008, 03:22 PM
The Stat Guy

Jeez! That's a lot of fuel!

American vehicles have had their VEESS's removed, since they burn JP-8 instead of diesel these days. JP-8 doesn't produce smoke when you spray it into the exhaust. That wouldn't be a problem in the T2K timeline.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Grimace Send a message via AIM to Grimace Send a message via Yahoo to Grimace

That's strange...I would have thought that JP-8 would still create smoke. Having been an aircraft refueler, I know that JP-8 is essentially just a more refined version of diesel (of sorts). I could see something like AvGas not producing any smoke, since that's essentially a more refined version of kerosene, but JP-8 would still smoke if it burned. Maybe shooting it into the exhaust system doesn't provide enough heat to actually burn the JP-8 or something, since it's actually possible to put out a match with JP-8 without igniting the fuel.

(Mind you, I'm not suggesting to anyone to attempt this, since it's only done as a demonstration under controlled conditions and with proper safety measures in place)
Old 09-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

The Soviets had a similar system in their tanks. I read, however, that they took them out of tanks that had vehicle-mounted smoke grenade launchers.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Just found this regarding JP-8 smoke production.

The lack of adequate smoke with JP-8 in the Vehicle Engine Exhaust Smoke System (VEESS) is detrimental to the effective use of JP-8 as the single battlefield fuel. The VEESS is considered a force multiplier and is very critical in armor strategies. Adaptation of an auxiliary tank containing a POL product that provides adequate smoke is a possible solution.

http://en.scientificcommons.org/18866476

I think they tried to combine the JP-8 with 5% crankcase oil at the injection port.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Grimace Send a message via AIM to Grimace Send a message via Yahoo to Grimace

Ah...that explains it. JP-8 makes smoke, just not enough to do what VEESS is supposed to do. Makes sense now.