RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 02-09-2021, 02:27 PM

Default Skills that bring status in a Post-Apocalyptic society?

I was reading up on Melanesian society (for completely irrelevant reasons) and I can across this list of skills that were considered necessary for a leader in The Solomon Islands in the 1940's. A "bigman" or "headman" needed a certain personal charisma and other qualities:

"A man must be prepared to demonstrate that he possesses the kind of skills that inspire respect: magical powers, gardening prowess, mastery of oratorical style, perhaps bravery in war and feud"

It looks an odd list, but it does have a certain logic once you realise that "gardening prowess" means both "wealthy" and "good enough at agriculture to feed lots of people". That's really important for a culture that can't always get enough food.

Likewise, "oratorical style" means "persuade the community without resorting to force".

IMHO, this list of skills would be very appropriate for the leader of a low-tech village. Does anyone have anything to add? Or suggest the skills that might work for a larger community?
Old 02-09-2021, 05:23 PM
Registered Registrant

I recall seeing a documentary many years ago about certain central African societies where in some rural villages, blacksmithing was still regarded as something mystical and magical.
The tribesman trained to be a blacksmith was regarded with both awe and fear as it was believed by the villagers that the blacksmith had magical powers. He enjoyed a certain status and was accorded a lot of respect and was even given gifts by the villagers but he was expected to live apart from the village in case any of his "magic" caused problems for the villagers.

I don't necessarily think in the post-apocalypse that this same situation would develop (I mean, it could but I don't think it's that likely) but I think that people with those types of skills (skills that help the entire community) would be highly regarded in rural societies.
Blacksmiths, tinkers, shoemakers, I think all of these skills would have a certain status to them and be highly regarded in those remote communities where mass production could not be achieved.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:35 PM

Anyone with medical and herbal medicine skills and anyone good at primitive engineering. Also tinkerers (as said) and anyone who was good at animal husbandry. There has been a renewed interest in herbal medicine and in a post apoc world those people would be a great asset. When the modern meds dry up those with the knowledge will be highly sought after and respected.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:02 PM
Registered Registrant

And it's often forgotten in the modern world, that many of the medicines we use were originally derived from plant or animal sources. In some cases the plant derived medicine has fewer side-effects than the modern medicine (which is typically the result of extracting the desirable part of the plant and synthesizing it in mass quantities) because other qualities of the plant reduce the impact of the negative qualities of the medicinal part.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:31 PM

Default Resurrect dead thread

I had a character who was out for decades. Before the war he worked for Morrow Enterprises as an engineer working to solve many design and manufacturing issues with the equipment. Because of this he was very in the know and due to his skills was frozen. While the rest of my gaming group went on to kill everything in sight (including eventually themselves) I was one of the rare ones actually trying to rebuild civilization. In the end I travelled the northern US and southern Canada from west to east helping train tinkerers and building wind driven water pumps. No anti gravity belts or rubber tires. Just things to make life better for the locals I lived with for a year or few.

So tinker and inventor, someone who could see a need and fill it, and had the skills or ability to make others understand what it would take to make the items for themselves would be very high on my list.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I recall seeing a documentary many years ago about certain central African societies where in some rural villages, blacksmithing was still regarded as something mystical and magical.
"Hephaestus
As a smithing god, Hephaestus made all the weapons of the Gods in Olympus. He served as the blacksmith of the Gods, and was worshipped in the manufacturing and industrial centres of Greece, particularly Athens".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hephaestus