RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 06-07-2009, 08:29 PM

Default Random thoughts

I was swimming through this week's crop of library books, and one of them was Quag Keep,* by Andre Norton. The blurb that hooked me was that it featured a group of RPG players who were magically transported into their dungeon world. This reminded me of the Guardians of the flame series** by Joel Rosenberg, which had a similar set-up.

At the end of the first book of Guardians, the player characters are given the option of getting back to their "real" lives as college students, or staying in their fantasy personae and living the world around them.

It struck me that that is a little like what American characters might face in the autumn of 2000. Should I stay or should I go now, as the song asks. Of course, it's a flawed analogy, since the USA in 2000 is nearly as crappy a place as central Europe by then, no technological paradise.

Back to the game: Any GMs run in Europe *after* the Americans left? What did you do? Were there any American PCs, or strictly Europeans? We got all wrapped up in Poland, what the heck happens there??

** I liked these much better. I think it went up to 10 books, I think it peaked after #6 or so. Very gritty in feel, this fantasy world is NOT a nice place.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:25 PM

Talking from a GM's point of view, we played we a mixed US/UK team many years ago and 'Going Home' came up. Out of the 5 remaining US pc's only 1 wanted to go home.

We carried on the campaign with the British army taking over the main areas the US had held around the coast and running missions for them.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee
Any GMs run in Europe *after* the Americans left? What did you do? Were there any American PCs, or strictly Europeans? We got all wrapped up in Poland, what the heck happens there??
It's a common misconception that all the US troops and units left with TF 34 in November 2000.

XI Corp, which is the parent unit for the 5th ID and includes the 8th ID, 2nd MARDIV, 50th AD, 4th Canadian Mechanised Brigade and the 116th ACR, remained in northern Poland, mainly because their route back to Germany was cut off in the aftermath of the spring offensive.

Fourth US Army less the 35th US MD likewise intends to stay in Germany.

So not including the 8th ID, there's something like 7,000 Amercian soliders intent on remaining in Europe after the evacuation, excluding stragglers from other units.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker
It's a common misconception that all the US troops and units left with TF 34 in November 2000.

XI Corp, which is the parent unit for the 5th ID and includes the 8th ID, 2nd MARDIV, 50th AD, 4th Canadian Mechanised Brigade and the 116th ACR, remained in northern Poland, mainly because their route back to Germany was cut off in the aftermath of the spring offensive.

Fourth US Army less the 35th US MD likewise intends to stay in Germany.

So not including the 8th ID, there's something like 7,000 Amercian soliders intent on remaining in Europe after the evacuation, excluding stragglers from other units.
Something I hadn't really thought about. OK, adjusted question: anyone run or play anything with the Americans left/stayed behind? Such as the three Return to Europe modules?