RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 06-02-2009, 01:13 PM

Default Lead up to the Mexican Invasion

I am working on my Mexican Army Sourcebook and I have developed the following historic background to support the 1998 invasion by Mexico. I stick with a modified V2.2 timeline that does not assume a Marxist regime takes power in Mexico so there needs to be some other reason for the invasion.

Anyone see a glaring problem with this scenario? I especially like my background because it is compatible with Division Cuba’s support of Mexico after the Russians nuked them in 97/98.

2nd Mexican American War
In 1996 U.S. forces were deployed to Europe to assist German units in Poland. From 1995-1997 the U.S. deployed 80% of its domestic guard and reserve units to Europe, Asia and the Middle East. The result was a sapping of manpower from border units and an increased reliance on local civilian militias to patrol the U.S.-Mexican border. The reliance on poorly trained and poorly disciplined local militias led to a number of tragic border incidents.

The Salinas government strongly opposed the use of Militia volunteers as border guards and lodged an official protest with the U.S. government. The friction between the U.S. and Mexico over the border patrol issue came to a head on December 12th, 1996 when Mexican police found a burned bus filled with the charred remains of over 30 Mexican migrant workers in the Sonora Desert. During the investigation of the incident it became apparent that the Mexican deaths were due to actions undertaken by a Militia group operating out of Cowlic, Arizona. Mexican authorities demanded that the member of the militia be either prosecuted in the U.S. or extradited to Mexico for trial.

The U.S. government expressed regret over the incident but claimed that there was insufficient evidence to generate an indictment against any individual involved in the militia border patrol. As a result the U.S. could not justify the extradition of any member of the militia group. At the same time the U.S. suggested that Mexico make a stronger effort to curtail illegal border crossings so that similar incidents would be avoided.

In Mexico City the U.S. refusal to extradite militia members led to massive demonstrations and public calls for an oil embargo against the U.S. to hinder its ability to continue combat operations in Europe. The U.S. responded with the “Sloan Act” prohibiting by law all remittances to Mexico and recalling of over $80 Billion in debts underwritten by the United States.

In January, 1997 Mexico moved the majority of its mobile force Brigades to the Military Regions bordering the U.S. in an attempt to limit illegal border crossings by Mexican nationals. Mexico also refused to comply with the U.S. demand for debt repayment citing the debt contract terms as prohibiting any unreasonable modification of the contract. The U.S. responds by flooding the international markets with Mexican securities causing a run on the Peso. Due to the sale of Mexican treasuries and a ban on Mexican imports to the U.S., by March inflation in Mexico tops 1000% per month.

With the relocation of Mexican military units to the U.S. border, illegal immigration to the U.S. slows to a trickle. A de facto demilitarized zone 20 miles wide forms on the U.S.-Mexican border in an attempt to prevent contact between U.S. Militia and elements of the Mexican Army. The need for a DMZ becomes apparent as contact between the two groups invariably leads to more and more skirmishes.

In November of 1997 oil producing facilities in the U.S. are subject to nuclear attack by Russia in order to disable the U.S. ability to support foreign military operations. The U.S. responds in kind striking Russian strategic targets and the oil producing facilities in Venezuela supplying oil to Cuba. The U.S. demands that Mexico resume oil sales to the U.S. and Canada in support of the War in Europe. The tone of the U.S. demands for Mexican oil production become harsher as the second wave of nuclear strikes occur in December of 1997.

By the beginning of 1998 there is a general feeling that the Ban of Mexican oil sales to the U.S. placed Mexico in the Russian camp and that Mexico’s de facto alliance with the Russian Federation would justify U.S. military operations in Mexico. In January the U.S. government delivers Mexico with an ultimatum that they supply the U.S. with oil, or face a declaration of war.

In response to a possible seizure of Mexican oilfields by the U.S. military, on January 28th, Russia launches a nuclear attack on Pemex facilities throughout Mexico. The January attack destroys 93% of Mexico’s oil refining capability and leads to nationwide rioting.

While the Russians are directly responsible for the attack, the Mexican government blames the U.S. for leading to the Russian nuclear attack. Student protestors storm the U.S. embassy in Mexico city and take 28 diplomats hostage. Mexican special forces units manage to retake the embassy but the US ambassador and 6 other diplomats are killed in the process. As a result of the attack the U.S. breaks off diplomatic relations with Mexico on February 5th, closes the border to all traffic and recalls all regional consuls from Mexico.

In March U.S. Militia units move into the demilitarized zone between the U.S. and Mexico and step up attacks on Mexican border police. The Militia incursions come to a head on late April when a Militia group crosses the border and terrorizes the Mexican town of Ojos Calientes. Elements of the 3rd Mexican Mechanized Brigade enter the demilitarized border zone to recapture Ojos Calientes and find that the Militia has fled back across the border. The Brigade’s Los GuardiÃ*n Regiment pursues the Militia unit across the U.S. border against orders and wipes them out in Cloverdale, New Mexico.

In response to the border incursion, the U.S. condemns Mexico and begins organizing and arming local militia groups along military lines. In May of 1998 the New Mexico, Arizona and Texas Militias are brought into federal service and supplemented with various regular army units. Militia units receive heavy equipment from local National Guard armories. While most modern weapons had been transported to Europe, remaining stockpiles of Vietnam era hardware was available for distribution.

In response to the U.S. military buildup along the border, Mexico declares war on the United States at 12:01am on June 1st, 1998. At 1:00am Mexican armored units cross the U.S. border west of El Paso, TX and east of Douglas, AZ while elements of the 1st Mechanized Brigade and Tijuana Infantry Regiment move to capture San Diego.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:00 AM

In general, it sounds reasonable enough.

5th paragraph, I would say that the Mexican Army troops move up to the border as a show of force, or to deter militia crossings; not to stop illegal Mexicans crossing. That would seem more important to me.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:45 AM

Not too bad, but I think you're portrayal of the border militias is a bit harsh. Most members are more concerned about their private property rights, which are a bit different than those in Sweden. Many have had large numbers of illegals cross their property and in the process vandalize and or steal much of their property. Many are not against immigration as some of the larger ranches hire illegal immigrants as ranch hands. Also many of them are against the border walls as the government wants to take large amounts of their land to build said wall.

Some of the militia organizations have set up aid stations along migration routes or left water and food out on their land for the passing illegals. And many of the militia groups are pushing for immigration reform that sets up work visas allowing workers to cross the border safely without having to cross private property.

Of course in an alternate reality where a nationalistic Mexico is spewing pan-Hispanic rhetoric there is the possibility of these militias radicalizing in response. And I do like the reverse Pancho Villa raid into Mexico. But who will be the Mexican Ambrose Bierce?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrose_Bierce

Benjamin
Old 06-04-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin
Not too bad, but I think you're portrayal of the border militias is a bit harsh. Most members are more concerned about their private property rights, which are a bit different than those in Sweden.
Hah. I don't think Turboswede is actually from Sweden. That's really funny though, thanks for the chuckle.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
Hah. I don't think Turboswede is actually from Sweden. That's really funny though, thanks for the chuckle.
Well, I am originally from Sweden but I moved here in the mid 70’s so I am thoroughly Americanized .

I have a thing for 80’s SAABs (hence Turboswede).

I may be a bit harsh on the Militias, but its kind of a case of one bad apple spoiling the bunch (so to speak).
Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboswede
Well, I am originally from Sweden but I moved here in the mid 70’s so I am thoroughly Americanized .
Heh heh. I stand corrected. I assumed you were American based on the content of your past posts. I actually thought that maybe your handle came from the character The Swede from Heartbreak Ridge.

Tags
countries, locations, mexico, north america