RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2021, 10:47 AM

Default 4th Ed Homebrew Points Based Character Creation System

Hi there. I am enjoying the initial gaming I’m doing with the 4th ed version of Twilight 2000 but one thing that bugs me is the character generation system. I don’t have an issue with either an Archetype option or a Term based Lifepath system but my preference is always for a points based system. This is because I prefer character creation systems where players can design their character around a particular concept that they’ve come up with.

I’ve therefore had a go at designing one and I am interested in peoples’ constructive feedback.

The system is as follows:

Step 1 – Agree your character concept with the GM, including military service and rank.
Step 2 – Each character starts with Strength, Agility, Intelligence, Empathy and Coolness Under Fire at rating C with no starting skills or specialties.
Step 3 – Each character then has 60 points to spend with the following costs for Attributes, Skills and Specialties. All Skills and Specialties have to be justifiable to the GM in relation to the agreed character concept.

Attributes:
• Moving from C up to B costs 5 points
• Moving from B up to A costs 5 points
• Moving from C down to D gains you 5 points

Skills:
• Buying a skill at a rating of D costs 1 point
• Increasing a skill from a rating of D to a rating of C costs a further 2 points (so buying a skill at a rating of C costs a total of 3 points)
• Increasing a skill from a rating of C to a rating of B costs a further 3 points (for a total of 6 points to buy a skill at rating B)
• Increasing a skill from a rating of B to a rating of A costs a further 4 points (for a total of 10 points to buy a skill at rating A)

Specialties:
These can be bought at a cost of 3 points each.

Step 4 - Agree starting equipment with the GM.
Step 5 - Calculate derived attributes according to the rules, including random generation of starting Rads.

Using this system I’ve created the following test characters:

Outline Concept – A New York Taxi Driver who has been drafted at the start of the war:
Attributes: Str B, Agl B, Int C, Emp C, CUF C
Skills: Heavy Weapons D, Close Combat C, Stamina C, Driving A, Mobility C, Ranged Combat B, Recon C, Survival C, Tech C, Persuasion C
Specialties: Racer, Rifleman, Scrounger, Mechanic

Outline Concept – A career Infantry platoon leader with the rank of Staff Sergeant.
Attributes: Str B, Agl B, Int C, Emp B, CUF B
Skills: Heavy Weapons D, Close Combat C, Stamina C, Driving D, Mobility C, Ranged Combat B, Recon C, Survival C, Tech D, Command B, Persuasion C, Medical Aid D
Specialties: Frontline Leader, Rifleman

Outline Concept – History Teacher who was drafted and trained as a medic.
Attributes: Str C, Agl C, Int B, Emp A, CUF D
Skills: Close Combat D, Stamina C, Driving C, Mobility C, Ranged Combat C, Recon C, Survival C, Tech B, Command D, Persuasion B, Medical Aid B
Specialties: Historian, Computers, Counsellor, Teacher

What do people think?

Thanks,

Mahatatain.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:24 PM
Administrator

I haven't tried to generate a character with either of v4's methods yet, but I tend to prefer point-buy systems for their customizability. That said, I often find that when I check my work at the end of the process, I've either gone over budget and have to pick a skill or whatever to cut from, or I end up with one or two points left over (that I can't spend because they're not enough to buy anything I want). I find both of these outcomes super frustrating.

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 08-21-2021, 10:55 AM

I believe, the original poster and I shared a few mutual thoughts on that system over at FL's board. I happen to like the idea for similar reasons, though I like having player characters at different power levels as well.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:17 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

I can't remember where I got this I know the site is gone

good ideas for what might to PC during this terms
Attached Files
File Type: doc CDNINFNCM.doc (232.5 KB, 22 views)