RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2011, 03:48 AM

Default GM-Preparation

I would like to know how much of an effort you do before you start gaming with your players ? (Or DID, if your not GM´ing anymore)
And in what way you depict you action-scenes?

Do you use counters/maps from a specific board-game (like "Last Battle" or others) ?
Do you prepare "Random" Encounters BEFORE the game or on the spot ?

In T2k a lot of things can happen on the way from A to B.
I personally like to have lots of detail even for little encounters, cause not one group of (f.e. refugees) travellers on the way, will be the same.
To have an idea what kind of equipment people have (or "loot", if the PC´s shot them), where or why they are going places - i just have to prepare before the game.
So i often roll for encounters before we play, having several handy, if theres need be.
But i know GM ´s which minimize the preps to the main-plot NPC´s / locations, and do real well, too.

For battles i try to vary; i draw specific maps for the main-plot, and developed some "generic" map-parts i can use for random-encounters (a bit like generic floor-tiles for "D&D"-style-games).

I would appreciate, if you tell me your thoughts and experiences.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombot View Post
I would like to know how much of an effort you do before you start gaming with your players ? (Or DID, if your not GM´ing anymore)
And in what way you depict you action-scenes?

Do you use counters/maps from a specific board-game (like "Last Battle" or others) ?
Do you prepare "Random" Encounters BEFORE the game or on the spot ?

In T2k a lot of things can happen on the way from A to B.
I personally like to have lots of detail even for little encounters, cause not one group of (f.e. refugees) travellers on the way, will be the same.
To have an idea what kind of equipment people have (or "loot", if the PC´s shot them), where or why they are going places - i just have to prepare before the game.
So i often roll for encounters before we play, having several handy, if theres need be.
But i know GM ´s which minimize the preps to the main-plot NPC´s / locations, and do real well, too.

For battles i try to vary; i draw specific maps for the main-plot, and developed some "generic" map-parts i can use for random-encounters (a bit like generic floor-tiles for "D&D"-style-games).

I would appreciate, if you tell me your thoughts and experiences.
I would say go with what you are confident with. I've used both methods with success. Perhaps the best mix is a series of planned detailed encounters (maybe using some of the excellent ones posted here) combined with some random events to stop the players being railroaded. Bear in mind however I've yet to GM a group that did what I expected!
Old 07-31-2011, 09:22 AM

Maps, and the more the better. Its worth the time to get decent road maps or even military maps (although going this route can get expensive) of the area. I also like to prepare a story tree and have my encounters ready on a set of 3x5 cards.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:45 PM

When I ran T2k, I liked rolling out lots of encounters ahead of time-- so many "road" encounters, so many "woods" encounters, and so on. Usually, in the process of rolling these up, I could find something to add to the story. "Hmmm, lots of large-unit encounters on the road this week, looks like the 21st MRD is already moving out?"

One early Challenge mag had a Wilderness pursuit article that included terrain tables, I used to use it to roll up the geography for battles-- slopes, woods, buildings, etc., and sketch out a map. There were also weather tables, and I used them a lot, too. That way, I could determine spotting distances and sometimes, the NPCs' general tactics.

I'd also work out how many of the NPCs were armed with what, and their skill level. That sometimes told me a little more about the story, too.

I used to use plain paper in a 3-ring binder, but now I would probably use 3x5 cards a lot for NPC units or individuals, as well as encounter knowledge.

Sometimes, I used the hex-maps and counters from Squad Leader, in addition to or instead of those from Last Battle.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Dangerclose

My style has always been to prepare ahead of time. When i used to run a Recon campaign i always had a basic idea ahead of time prior to the mission briefing. Of course Recon was a Vietnam based game.

For my current T2K F2F campaign i am everyday adding this and that to my folder of ideas and encounters. For Part 1, escape from Kalizs i had maps for Kalizs, incl rail and Hwy. Plus i charted all of the Russian and Polish armies movements to 0500hrs the day of the escape, so the PC's had the potential of a TON of contact.

But luckily for them they avoided alot of danger and were smart about travel with a lot of Reconissance ahead of time for various towns. Our next gaming date is only a few weeks away and i already have 3 major campaigns they can go thru during there Free city Of Krakow. Incl a revised Operation Reset, The Kings Messenger (credit to Rainbow six) and my personal creation called Auschwitz. Plus a few small encounters known as The Dudek Brothers (credit to Rainbow six), the lone survivor of Striketeam Zulu and a personal creation in the town of Slomniki. Plus the recreation of the ORMO that I have done and the new leadership structure of Krakow.

And the Free city of Krakow does offer random encounters to use during your stay. I do know that our teams Long term objective is to get back to the USA and i will be using Operation Omega when the campaigns time table allows for it. But i am still preparing my US based campaign and we are a LONG ways away from that.

So in a nutshell i do prepare but IMO for the bigger picture. Small random encounters will always be left to both the Referee charts and my imagination. Plus my Mood will help determine alot too, LOL.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:23 PM

Ill have to preface my answer with a though on different types of gaming first; there is a difference between War Gamers and Roleplayers. War Gamers typically have a huge amount of maps and counters, and are very intricate about rules. If a rule doesnt exist for the situation, play stops until the matter is resolved. Roleplayers have a tendency to land anywhere from a style which is just a hair short of a War Gamer to near complete chaos with dice. I like to run my games a little closer to the chaos side myself.

I once heard Roleplaying described as a combination of a board game and acting, and took it to heart. Preparation for me includes many of the tasks listed above already, but I try to add more. I practice accents when no one is around. I think about how to play primitives or mentally unhinged NPCs. And I try to figure moods for NPCs, especially if it will yank the h*ll out of my player's heartstrings to do the right thing.

The 3x5 cards have been a friend for a long time. I have a collection of quite a few random encounters that I can use, and describing them a bit different each time hides the fact that there are only 50 or so.

Combat has to move fast. Make it seem like a movie. I know Ive said this before so Im sorry if Im putting anyone to sleep....but Ive seen D&D games where it took 15 to 20 minutes to resolve each attack. Unsat. I want my players to have quick gratification or disappointment. So I study the combat rules and try to memorize the more important charts. The faster the little facts get out of the way the faster players get to kill things or get killed, and a little dramatics is encouraged too. Have you seen the pic that General Pain has on his site with one of his players holding up a document tube like a LAW rocket? Perfect. And any combat rules that drastically slow the game or jerk player initiative out from under them? Out the window they go.

And I like to do something I started calling "Joe Cheese". Sometimes if things need to move faster or if players are getting bored with random encounters, Ill throw a piece of soundtrack score on and do a montage description of the little things that are happening around them, especially if events are NPC controlled.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:04 PM
GM for hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kota1342000 View Post
Combat has to move fast. Make it seem like a movie. I know Ive said this before so Im sorry if Im putting anyone to sleep....but Ive seen D&D games where it took 15 to 20 minutes to resolve each attack. Unsat. I want my players to have quick gratification or disappointment.
Something I learned from a wargaming comrade was to just roll the dice. Forget the modifiers initially. Just roll, see if it's obvious success or failure (which most people have a good feel for). If it's close, then get into the details to check. Speeds things up a ton.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 AM

That's pretty much what I do F2F as well.
Also having the players calculate the odds is a huge time saver. They can then either roll for themselves, or the GM can do it in secret and declare the result (or apparent lack of them).

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-01-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kota1342000 View Post
I think about how to play primitives or mentally unhinged NPCs. And I try to figure moods for NPCs, especially if it will yank the h*ll out of my player's heartstrings to do the right thing.

Ill throw a piece of soundtrack score on and do a montage description of the little things that are happening around them, especially if events are NPC controlled.
Thumbs up - i like to do that to - thinking about how to play the NPC´s in detail (& preparing a bit of music).
Seems like most of us are the prepared type of GM.

Thanks for your input, guys!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Internet Intellectual

The more complete the NPC is in any game the more the GM can concentrate on the story.

So give the NPC a reason for being in the area.

Whats in their pockets?

Tattoos? Scars? Why?

Where are they from? How did they get here? Passing through? Running from an angry husband? Hiding from vigilantes?

If they have weapons then factor up all the modifiers before using them.

If they have a map to treasue, a cache, a still, to the nearest Brothel draw it up.

Maps. There is atleast two maps. The GMs map and the Players maps.

Fodors guides for Countries are your friend. Description of a village goes better than "Looks like a typical euro villages with some war damage".........

Pictures help.

MS Excel is your new best friend. You can set up hundreds of NPC encounters. MS One Note is a great tool for the GM that is building a Campaign.

I still like the "feel" of rolling dice, and a computer can't replace that.