RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 08-06-2022, 10:14 AM

Default MP Smart Watch

So, given an updated timeline, and the possibility of a smart watch, what features/ apps would you add to it. We all know the usual's would be added like a compass, temp, barometric, altimeter, heart rate, GPS, but what extras would you add. I am going with a small button size battery NDB battery and solar back up. also a track me/ find me feature. I am going on the theory that Bruce brought something back with him or someone found some data and designed it from that on of course a more modern timeline.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:22 AM

Garmin already markets a watch with more than is really needed. The tactix 7 Pro Ballistic Edition weighs only 89g. Beyond the ‘normal’ smart watch features, it supports solar charging, GPS, GLONASS and Galileo.

Too many other features to list but take a look at https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/802901#overview, if you’re interested. Of course, a ton of the features will likely be non-functional at wake up.

For MP, I’d probably want to add a dosimeter.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:50 AM

I am going to support this Garmin as the likely contender, running MP Watch OS. That way they can program it using all the sensors to give whatever mission data they want/need. Since it has accelerometers but in, can be a wrist mounted Autonav. I do agree that a dosimeter would be nice. Any extra exposure data for the medical staff to analyze is good. That is why I have one as a feature of my MP ID cards.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Mariner View Post
Garmin already markets a watch with more than is really needed. The tactix 7 Pro Ballistic Edition weighs only 89g. Beyond the ‘normal’ smart watch features, it supports solar charging, GPS, GLONASS and Galileo.

Too many other features to list but take a look at https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/802901#overview, if you’re interested. Of course, a ton of the features will likely be non-functional at wake up.

One task of MP teams could be to set up differential GPS ground stations that could help MP teams with navigation. While GPS satellites would be non-existent dGPS could at least allow for some GNSS functionality.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
One task of MP teams could be to set up differential GPS ground stations that could help MP teams with navigation. While GPS satellites would be non-existent dGPS could at least allow for some GNSS functionality.
My understanding of dGPS is that it requires a signal from at least one GPS satellite. Granted, my understanding is somewhat limited so I could be wrong.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin798 View Post
My understanding of dGPS is that it requires a signal from at least one GPS satellite. Granted, my understanding is somewhat limited so I could be wrong.
dGPS requires at least one GPS satellite and at least one other well-known transmitter. The latter could be another satellite or a ground station that has been precisely surveyed. For best results you want at least 3 references.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Mariner View Post

I own a Garmin Instinct Tactical Solar, I am still trying to learn all the aspects of it. I do love the watch. I am a bit of a watch whore, This is my every day watch. I have used several of the apps on it and find them pretty useful. I do find it easy to get lost in the apps at times because I really need to learn it more. LOVE IT.