RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 PM

Default T2000: Carrying the Fire

In planning for the campaign I plan on starting in the next few weeks, I was thinking about various mediums that I could use to help channel the 'feel' of T2000. The Road, by Cormac McCarthy, is my favorite post-apocalypse novel, and one of my favorite novels in general, and I was thinking that it'd be perfect to cast as the 'theme' for the campaign.

I was thinking about starting the PCs with no vehicles (or one, randomly rolled), with only the gear that they can carry on their persons. Kalisz is burning, and the Polish/Soviets are combing the wreckage for survivors. They need to get the hell out of Dodge. Marauders stalk the countryside, and villages are dying out to disease, famine, and radiation. There are those that find other means of feeding themselves...

I was thinking about 'upping the ante' of the nuclear exchanges to get the 'pallid grey sky' and 'dying ecosystem' from the novel, tied in with a sort of nuclear winter. Getting things like game, foraged food, and ethanol would get harder and harder. Things like gasoline (like the cache in the Vistula module) would be points of interest, and possibly armed conflicts between marauders and military forces, if any are still following commands of governments that may no longer exist.

Anything to add, or other ideas?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 AM

I agree with everything you've said. I agree that "upping the ante" is the right direction, and its something we all work towards.

The difficulty though, is being able to pull it off. What you've described is what we want (players want), but how are you going to execute it? Maybe thats something you could put down here in writing, because i think thats maybe the question your asking, or if you do have some ideas its what hasnt been said so far that people want to hear and maybe comment on.

But in general i agree with what your saying. Put them right under the pump early. On foot (no vehicle roll!), maybe only with pistals or armed weapons (knives). Make them have to work for basic weapons (like M-16's or AKM's). Put them under time pressure, make the players have to make decisions (make the players have to choose between maybe a weapons cabinet, some food from a food box or a vehicle (jeep), they are likely to get one of the above, unlikely to get 2 of the above before the enemy is on them, and almost impossible to get all 3. I think its this kind of quick and dirty decision making that puts players in the hot seat and have to make meaning choices where the payoffs are small.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdusk View Post
But in general i agree with what your saying. Put them right under the pump early. On foot (no vehicle roll!), maybe only with pistals or armed weapons (knives). Make them have to work for basic weapons (like M-16's or AKM's).
I"d let them have rifles, with 1d6 rounds per 10 round capacity of it's magazine, and eithet a bayonet/knife or one fragmentation grenade.

http://copeab.tripod.com
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 AM

I'd keep interactions with the players brief, to a minimum. Dont overdo the descriptions etc, let the players imagine their own dark and moody environment, sometimes its what they dont know that agitates them. If the players want to know more, make them think, and ask specifically. FtF or play by post, interaction, interaction, interaction.

Aside from that, use some music or sound effects, or pictures (worth a thousand words).

copeab's on the right wavelength. Give the players nothing to start with (or very little). Make them work their way up from nothing, hard work for small achievements = player pride, engagement and satisfaction.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Administrator

The Road is one of my favorite novels, but as a template for a T2K campaign setting, I think it's a little too bleak. I've read it three times over the years, and I always feel somewhat emotional tapped out when I finish.

I guess it depends on what your players want. If they're cool with it, go for it. But I can see playing in a world similar to the one depicted in The Road could be a bit hopeless and depressing. I like gritty and minimalist, but I think that would be a tad much for some.

That said, I think a campaign where the PCs start off with very little gear is more intriguing than one where ammo, communications, optics, transportation, food, etc. is not a concern.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module

Last edited by Raellus; 01-02-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM

I'd agree on The Road being too bleak for a game. If I was playing and you got the tone just right I probably wouldn't be back for more.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
...I always feel somewhat emotional tapped out when I finish.
I remember I wrote a paper on its themes and other aspects of the story. The teacher had us read them out loud, and when I was finished, everyone was looking at me, mouths agape

And that was before Oprah made everyone read it.

And I definitely agree that it's depressing as hell. I'd probably throw it up to the players when we get together for the first time.

I started with the whole idea when I was rolling up some characters for 'practice' and I was thinking about how characters can get a lot of cash to 'purchase' starting equipment. Given the 'feel' of Escape from Kalisz, I was thinking about just letting the PCs take whatever they want, as long as their PC can carry it! And maybe pool their money to buy a vehicle/fuel/food if I'm feeling generous. I'd roll for Vehicle Condition of course, to adjust the price. Maybe they'll spring for the Condition 9 M1E1?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Aside from that, use some music or sound effects, or pictures (worth a thousand words).
I'd recommend against songs with vocals during play, as it might be distracting. Probably okay for a song at the start of the session, to set the mood.

Personally, were I to use music during a T2K session, I'd probably go with instrumentals from the cello metal band Apocalyptica.

http://copeab.tripod.com
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 AM

Encounter table for The Road

2 . nothing
3 . nothing
4. nothing
5. nothing
6. nothing
7. nothing
8. can of beans
9. small band of stragglers
10. nothing
11. nothing
12. nothing
Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Encounter table for The Road

2 . nothing
3 . nothing
4. nothing
5. nothing
6. nothing
7. nothing
8. can of beans
10. nothing
11. nothing
12. nothing
Corrected encounter table:
2. picked over skeleton
3. nothing
4. nothing
5. nothing
6. nothing
7. nothing
8. empty can of beans
10. nothing
11. nothing
12. cannibals

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Corrected encounter table:
2. picked over skeleton
3. nothing
4. nothing
5. nothing
6. nothing
7. nothing
8. empty can of beans
10. nothing
11. nothing
12. cannibals

Sounds about right.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 PM

Somewhat OT from the original thoughts of the posts, but in planning things for the campaign, and searching through these forums for information, I've come across references to the Challenge magazine.

Would anything from the magazines be relevant to use in my campaign (I'm using v1)? And if so, would they be worth looking into? I know DriveThruRPG/RPGnow has PDFs of at least some of them...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 AM

I'd say virtually everything. At the very least you could get ideas...

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Well, I certainly like the sounds of that!