RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Regions

DeaconR 09-03-2008, 10:30 PM If you had to run a campaign set in a region in the TW2000 universe, where would it be? I'm thinking of:

Poland

UK

Iran

Northeastern USA (New England, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey)

California

Southeastern USA

Far East

Caribbean

or is there anywhere else?

Targan 09-03-2008, 11:51 PM As I've mentioned some time ago I've always wanted to run a campaign about Aussie troops operating in Papua New Guinea, Irian Jaya and Indonesia during the Twlight War. Mmm, jungle fightin'!

akula_au 09-04-2008, 12:01 AM I played in chalklines campaign set just north of Sydney where the Indonesians backed by Russia had invaded and pushed down the east coast of Australia.

Hangfire7 09-04-2008, 01:06 AM Per the game we have the following campaign areas:

Korea, interestingly enough they never made any modules or other information beyond the timeline and the OOB in the vehicle guide.

Middle East/Iran: again where a large part of the Forces are engaged.

Pacific Northwest which is in anarchy, and has to deal with lead elements of the Russians forces on the Alaskan expeditionary forces, they are also in British Columbia.

US Southwest, Lone Star Red Star moduel? Division de Cuba? Mexican forces a plenty.

Alaskan Front, different than the Pacific Northwest.

South Eastern Europe? There were forces in Yugoslavia and the Czech Republic.

Scandinavia? The Last Submarine mentions it, as does the fighting in Norway and Finland.

Those are some of the areas.

As for gamming purposes I would think a stepes region if you have mobility. Thats just me.

Mohoender 09-04-2008, 01:14 AM I like to run my campaign in Africa with players operating from a barely surviving and highly fortified Dakar (Senegal). I usually set up some oil operation in Gabon and south Cameroon as I see the French getting oil from there (not from the Middle East).

I haven't done it yet but I also think of:

- Iberic Peninsula (especially Portugal and Galicia)

- North Africa & the Meditteranean (I love Pirates)

- Why not, Indochina/South China (operating from Bangkok).

In fact they are the regions I know well, except for Asia (but I have plenty of ideas on that one from movies)

Headquarters 09-04-2008, 01:31 AM current campaign running with california as a backdrop -but when that got a bit old party is at large in a floating brothel/yacht/special operations vessel

in the pacific doing missions on their way to the ultimate goal of crippeling the going home efforts of milgov in asia.

so now the 7 seas are all posible operational areas

used to run a campaign out of seattle before but it sputtered to a halt otherwise getting out of poland is a good setting

Rainbow Six 09-04-2008, 11:17 AM In the past have played in campaigns set in Poland and the USA.

If I was going to ref a new campaign now, would definitely be the UK.

Another thing that was mentioned a while back was an Escape From Africa type game where the players had been stranded in an unspecified Southern African country and had to try to get across the country to somewhere that they could catch a ship / plane back to their home country.

I think Law started a PBeM based around it if I recall correctly.

pmulcahy 09-04-2008, 11:47 AM In order, my choices would be:

Korea

Poland/Central Europe

Manchuria

Central America

Indochina

And maybe San Antonio, Texas, since I live here.

FightingFlamingo 09-04-2008, 02:03 PM Central or Southcentral Europe

Scandinavia

US East Coast

DeaconR 09-04-2008, 08:24 PM Some of those are very interesting--Hangfire I'd love to be in one of your games, if only.

the mention of Manchuria is very interesting, why that?

Iberian penninsula--what would go on there?

Targan it's funny but I thought of Irian Jaya too at one point but ended up not running that one.

Gabon and S. Cameroon would be VERY interesting, how would you run a campaign there? African campaigns intrigue me, I started a merc campaign out in Africa but it just ran a few sessions.

Recently I've noticed a number of post apocalyptic films (mostly cheesey but kind of fun) set in the UK. Any inspiration found there Rainbow Six?

I'm torn at the moment. I'm thinking of starting up another campaign and if I did I'm wondering if I would set it in Poland to start with pcs ending up in the USA or UK or if I'd just start in either of those.

Raellus 09-04-2008, 09:13 PM There are a lot of cool regions in which to set a campaign but I keep getting drawn back to Poland. I'm sure that it has something to do with those boyhood memories of opening up the v1 box for the very first time and pouring over the "Escape from Kalisz" mini-module- the intensity of the description of the battle, the intel dosiers, the map- everything!

I've seen a couple mentions of Manchuria here. I've seriously considered attempting to run a pseudo-OPFOR campaign centered around a unit of East German Soldiers trying to make their way home to Germany from Manchuria. They'd have to contend not only with the Chinese Army, partisans, and marauders, but probably with Soviet forces determined to keep them in the fight as well. I've not followed through because something about it seems so daunting.

Hangfire7 09-04-2008, 10:40 PM As for locations I have played capaigns:

China

Siberia <in the prep stages>

Alaska

Pacific Nothwest

Southwest

Korea

The Middle East

Europe

Eastern Europe

Caribean

Med

Adriatic

East Coast

South East US

As for games I have played, all of the above

Africa X2

kato13 09-04-2008, 11:12 PM Korea seems like a fascinating setting. I wish there was more background material. (Hint hint DC working group)

Hangfire7 09-04-2008, 11:39 PM Korea seems like a fascinating setting. I wish there was more background material. (Hint hint DC working group)

Actualy that is the cool thing about limited material, you can go in any direction you want it to go.

Targan 09-05-2008, 07:04 AM Another idea I started to develop was a campaign involving Australian, New Zealand, American, Norwegian and Japanese personnel trying to survive in Antarctic bases once the ICBMs have flown in the Twilight War and attempts to get off the continent, to New Zealand, Australia, South America or South Africa. I was thinking perhaps personnel at Mawson Base might try to salvage one or more engines from a helicopter, fixed wing aircraft and/or snowmobiles and fit them to a scratch built LTA aircraft or even an LBA using materials and helium from the stocks of weather balloons they possess. Possibly even having to defend themselves against attempts by stranded WarPac personnel to take their assets.

chico20854 09-05-2008, 05:29 PM Korea seems like a fascinating setting. I wish there was more background material. (Hint hint DC working group)

I just found something I'd written up maybe 10-15 years ago on the Korean campaign. It was unfinished, but I didn't like it nonetheless...

We have a pretty detailed orbat for both the USSR and US in the area (and some stuff on the Koreans), so its a start...

DeaconR 09-06-2008, 09:06 AM I think Korea fascinates because it's an area we know would be a focus if there was WWIII.

I really like the idea of a campaign set in Antarctica too. The very environment would be the enemy!

Poland is the most detailed of all the regions as far as game material goes. You have:

- Escape from Kalisz

- Free City of Krakow

- Ruins of Warsaw

- Pirates of the Vistula

-The Black Madonna

plus the return to Poland modules and some good online material and stuff from Challenge to flesh it out.

A close second for me is the stuff produced that is for the Atlantic Coast region. What I like is either a LOT of published material to make use of or as Hangfire says a bit of basic information and your freedom to do whatever you want.

Gen.Lee 09-06-2008, 11:51 AM I'd come back to Poland, myself. I guess it was because the modules got me interested in Polish history, which has been a hobby of mine ever since. I've mentioned before I'd like to mess around with a post-World War One setting, in the same region.

World War Two, as a behind-the-lines setting, in nearly any region would be neat, too.

Webstral 09-06-2008, 02:55 PM Korea would be very interesting, although the intensity of the fighting probably would have reduced the place to a virtual wasteland. Persistent chemicals would have been used there if anywhere, and I expect these would seriously affect the agricultural base. With the breakdown of international shipping and Korea’s economy, food wouldn’t be able to come in from elsewhere.

Japan would be interesting, too. Militarism boils just underneath the surface in Japan. With the nuking of Tokyo and other critical Japanese targets, (which I regard as a given in any strategic, albeit surgical, East-West exchange) Japan’s industrial economy will collapse. They don’t have much in the way of industrial resources, anyway. Food will be a real problem for them. The Japanese may survive by gong back to an extremely labor-intensive form of agriculture a la Thunder Empire. The result of such a move would be to re-stratisfy Japanese society into groups which ultimately may reproduce the ashigaru/samurai division. Whether a post-exchange Japan would remain a single nation or devolve into a host of rival realms ruled by new, feuding daimyo is anyone’s guess.

The Philippines would be a scary place with lots of opportunity for gunslingers. The federal government probably would collapse in the aftermath, leaving the islands splintered and divided among the myriad tribal groups. For those willing to fight and possessing the skills and gear to succeed, the opportunities would be enormous.

I like the Atlantic coast of Central Africa as a possible adventure zone because the oil resources offer great riches for anyone who can generate enough stability to exploit them. There would be plenty of opportunities for combat once the word got out that someone was prepping an oil well for restored production. Characters could stay focused on small-unit actions, large-scale combat, or empire building as their tastes dictate.

Webstral

Raellus 09-06-2008, 03:23 PM Webstral's on to something with the empire building in Africa. How many times have privately financed mercenary "armies" nearly succeeded in conquering and ruling small African nations (if not overtly, then behind the scenes)? Post T2K, it would be even easier. No need to fuss with international law, U.N., spheres of influence, and minor nuisances like that.

Similar potential exists in Latin America. If I had the time, I'd love to run/play in a freebooting campaign set in/along the Carribean/Gulf of Mexico/Latin American coast. Yargh!

I like Targan's Antarctic idea too.

Having Norwegian roots, I'd like to campaign there. Unfortunately, in the T2K timeline, it seems like it would be a relatively quiet sector later on in the war.

Something keeps bringing me back to Poland, though.

Tags
locations