RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 04-26-2021, 09:24 PM
Enfield Enfield is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
The same question applies to a host of other medical issues that require pharmaceutical maintenance or other regular care. Enfield mentioned diabetes, which is the classic example from Lucifer's Hammer. Among other factors, I would expect the HIV/AIDS epidemic to be a source of paranoia, discrimination, and other social complications atop its medical implications.

For that matter, anyone dependent on electrically-powered medical equipment probably died shortly after the first wave of nuclear strikes. Anyone know the effects of EMP on pacemakers?

Back to the thread topic, these issues present an interesting complication for any group attempting to align itself with the Cascadians. The Cascadians are working toward the survival of civilization, not necessarily that of any given individual. It's up to each referee to determine how far they take it in their campaign, but I'll point to one of the Cascadian movement's principles:



- C.
It is an interesting question. One of the purposes of my campaign is to have a community build around the initial group of survivors led by the PCs. The leadership core (based around the PCs) have expressly stated that they want to form a larger community around the farm, so as they contact others they will have that opportunity, and inevitably some people will have chronic illnesses and conditions. It will be interesting to see how they figure out the ethics of that.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-05-2021, 10:56 AM
.45cultist .45cultist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 972
Default

I'm going to go over all of this for my pig/ geese farm plan I mentioned in another thread. I'd also like to go through several threads for a Homestead Home front book. It can be GDW/FFE specific or a generic guide, or better yet, both. Notes on how to establish a colony or a cantonment or just keeping a small town alive.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-05-2021, 05:29 PM
Tegyrius's Avatar
Tegyrius Tegyrius is offline
Somebody Else's Problem
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
I'm going to go over all of this for my pig/ geese farm plan I mentioned in another thread. I'd also like to go through several threads for a Homestead Home front book. It can be GDW/FFE specific or a generic guide, or better yet, both. Notes on how to establish a colony or a cantonment or just keeping a small town alive.
I already designed a cover for you.

Seriously, though, I'd be interested in reading that. I can envision a couple of different ways you could present the material.

- C.
__________________
Clayton A. Oliver Occasional RPG Freelancer Since 1996

Find my Twilight: 2000 fan material and Twilight: 2013 unofficial support here, and my published T2k sourcebook, The Pacific Northwest, here.

Enhance your enjoyment of the forum here.

If you dislike change, you're going to dislike irrelevance even more.
- General Eric Shinseki
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-08-2021, 06:16 PM
Targan's Avatar
Targan Targan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 3,603
Default

A potential source for mining some of the concepts in terms of modelling for gaming systems, HarnMaster has a supplement called HarnManor which goes into great detail on how to generate medieval agricultural settlements. Such things as how many people are needed for how much acreage, crop and farmed animal yields, other trades and specialties typically found in such settlements, etc.
__________________
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-09-2021, 08:31 AM
.45cultist .45cultist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
A potential source for mining some of the concepts in terms of modelling for gaming systems, HarnMaster has a supplement called HarnManor which goes into great detail on how to generate medieval agricultural settlements. Such things as how many people are needed for how much acreage, crop and farmed animal yields, other trades and specialties typically found in such settlements, etc.
Cool! This can be done. I can check the TNE World Tamer's Handbook for technology improvements.

Last edited by .45cultist; 08-09-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-10-2021, 08:43 AM
.45cultist .45cultist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
I already designed a cover for you.

Seriously, though, I'd be interested in reading that. I can envision a couple of different ways you could present the material.

- C.
That's great! Seriously, your module "Pacific Northwest" is first on the reading list.
Pacific Northwest's civilian career "Survivalist" can be converted to "Homesteader" by skill choice since the careers have some similarities. also the equipment, particularly chainsaws, long underwear, and the ATVs and UATVs. The weather rules for off season.

Paul Mulcahy's Site for more gear.

The food preservation and water purification threads on this site.

Traveller TNE's "World Tamer's Handbook" has ag and industry rules.

Also T2013 had a building system in man hours and some "civvie stuff".

Last edited by .45cultist; 08-10-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-19-2021, 08:47 AM
.45cultist .45cultist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 972
Default

World Tamers has complex rules cause of multiple world types. T2013 has farm rules and amounts in hectacres as well as equipment modifiers, I'll get the Harn book next pay day. I might treat pigs as manual laborers with two to three periods of hard labor, depending on how much daylight. I might try to stat an old tractor or two like the Ford Jubilee and some old John Deere trikes and the like.

Last edited by .45cultist; 08-19-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-22-2021, 10:46 AM
.45cultist .45cultist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 972
Default

Here is the beginning of my homebrew:Homefront.docx
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-23-2021, 07:32 PM
Vespers War Vespers War is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 293
Default

Speaking of World Tamer's, one thing in it that would have been very useful in the T2K rules is its Roads sidebar, which covers what's available at each tech level and how they deteriorate. The tech levels aren't useful, but here are the roads that would be available in the Twilight War era:

Trails: simple unimproved routes where brush has been cleared by the constant passage of people, vehicles, or animals. Vehicles travel at off-road speed +1.25 kph (+5 to Tr Move). Reduce to normal speed in rain due to mud.

Improved Trails: widened trails graded by animal-powered scrapers. Travel is at off-road speed +2.5 kph (+10 to Tr Move), but reduced to normal in rain.

Crowned Roads: cambered so water will run off and often topped with stone or gravel. +3.75 kph (+15 to Tr Move) and unaffected by rain. Use by heavy (10 tonnes or greater) wheeled vehicles will destroy them in 1d20 days and use by tracked vehicles of any weight will destroy them in 2 hours, reducing the road to an Improved Trail.

Macadam Roads: crowned roads with an impervious surface of stone. +5 kph (+20 to Tr Move), unaffected by rain. Heavy wheeled vehicles will destroy them in 1d10 weeks and tracked vehicles in 6 hours, reducing to Improved Trail.

Asphalt Roads: crowned and drained and topped with a bitumen-gravel mix. Travel at road speed regardless of weather. Heavy wheeled vehicles will destroy them in 10+1d10 months and tracked vehicles in 12 hours, once again reducing to Improved Trail.

Concrete Roads: more durable, surfaced with a thermally converted mix of sand, gravel, and limestone. Unaffected by wheeled vehicles, destroyed by 18 hours of tracked vehicle use, reduced to Improved Trail.

The deterioration of roads over time during the Twilight War would (in my opinion) reinforce to players how the systems that tie the world together are breaking down, as transportation becomes more difficult.
__________________
The poster formerly known as The Dark

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 09-27-2021, 06:34 PM
swaghauler swaghauler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 1,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
World Tamers has complex rules cause of multiple world types. T2013 has farm rules and amounts in hectacres as well as equipment modifiers, I'll get the Harn book next pay day. I might treat pigs as manual laborers with two to three periods of hard labor, depending on how much daylight. I might try to stat an old tractor or two like the Ford Jubilee and some old John Deere trikes and the like.
Here are some videos from my research you might find interesting. For the record, I use the HOSS double-wheeled system and find it superior to all other hand-powered garden tools (I have power tools too). Keep in mind that these are modern machines not something from an antique store either.

https://youtu.be/vuiqNFgDyCg

Here's a video of people going old school with equipment you can buy right now.

https://youtu.be/O82ZecB0UPk

Then there are people like me and my friends who would totally do this! Please note, this is a vintage horse plow being towed in this video.

https://youtu.be/tnNSFzxgZys

Enjoy!

Swag.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 09-27-2021, 06:48 PM
swaghauler swaghauler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 1,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespers War View Post
Speaking of World Tamer's, one thing in it that would have been very useful in the T2K rules is its Roads sidebar, which covers what's available at each tech level and how they deteriorate. The tech levels aren't useful, but here are the roads that would be available in the Twilight War era:

Trails: simple unimproved routes where brush has been cleared by the constant passage of people, vehicles, or animals. Vehicles travel at off-road speed +1.25 kph (+5 to Tr Move). Reduce to normal speed in rain due to mud.

Improved Trails: widened trails graded by animal-powered scrapers. Travel is at off-road speed +2.5 kph (+10 to Tr Move), but reduced to normal in rain.

Crowned Roads: cambered so water will run off and often topped with stone or gravel. +3.75 kph (+15 to Tr Move) and unaffected by rain. Use by heavy (10 tonnes or greater) wheeled vehicles will destroy them in 1d20 days and use by tracked vehicles of any weight will destroy them in 2 hours, reducing the road to an Improved Trail.

Macadam Roads: crowned roads with an impervious surface of stone. +5 kph (+20 to Tr Move), unaffected by rain. Heavy wheeled vehicles will destroy them in 1d10 weeks and tracked vehicles in 6 hours, reducing to Improved Trail.

Asphalt Roads: crowned and drained and topped with a bitumen-gravel mix. Travel at road speed regardless of weather. Heavy wheeled vehicles will destroy them in 10+1d10 months and tracked vehicles in 12 hours, once again reducing to Improved Trail.

Concrete Roads: more durable, surfaced with a thermally converted mix of sand, gravel, and limestone. Unaffected by wheeled vehicles, destroyed by 18 hours of tracked vehicle use, reduced to Improved Trail.

The deterioration of roads over time during the Twilight War would (in my opinion) reinforce to players how the systems that tie the world together are breaking down, as transportation becomes more difficult.
I would say that you should institute some sort of "deterioration check" to see if the roads degrade or not. Around my house, we have many dirt roads with heavily compacted bases (due to the heavy farm machinery driven on them) that only need to be graded once a year. They are just that packed down. There are also highways out there which are overbuilt (the Autobahn comes to mind immediately) that will fair better than your typical US highway.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 09-28-2021, 05:20 AM
.45cultist .45cultist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
I would say that you should institute some sort of "deterioration check" to see if the roads degrade or not. Around my house, we have many dirt roads with heavily compacted bases (due to the heavy farm machinery driven on them) that only need to be graded once a year. They are just that packed down. There are also highways out there which are overbuilt (the Autobahn comes to mind immediately) that will fair better than your typical US highway.
The US used to put concrete then asphalt down, then decided double asphalt was cheaper, so now high ways don't last as long.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 09-28-2021, 05:21 AM
.45cultist .45cultist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
Here are some videos from my research you might find interesting. For the record, I use the HOSS double-wheeled system and find it superior to all other hand-powered garden tools (I have power tools too). Keep in mind that these are modern machines not something from an antique store either.

https://youtu.be/vuiqNFgDyCg

Here's a video of people going old school with equipment you can buy right now.

https://youtu.be/O82ZecB0UPk

Then there are people like me and my friends who would totally do this! Please note, this is a vintage horse plow being towed in this video.

https://youtu.be/tnNSFzxgZys

Enjoy!

Swag.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 09-28-2021, 10:21 AM
swaghauler swaghauler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 1,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
Thanks!
You're welcome. Judging from his accent, the guy in the 3rd video is from the Ridge or Central PA. Yep... Olefin, Wallshadow, and I have to claim him... look at the truck's license plate.
PA representn' rednecks everywhere!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-14-2021, 01:47 AM
shahzop
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Corn isn't very economical for the space required, and neither are most other grains. techzpod mobdro - edited these were links.


More spammers. Keep an eye out - Kato

Last edited by kato13; 10-14-2021 at 03:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 10-14-2021, 09:19 AM
pmulcahy11b's Avatar
pmulcahy11b pmulcahy11b is offline
The Stat Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 4,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
I would say that you should institute some sort of "deterioration check" to see if the roads degrade or not. Around my house, we have many dirt roads with heavily compacted bases (due to the heavy farm machinery driven on them) that only need to be graded once a year. They are just that packed down. There are also highways out there which are overbuilt (the Autobahn comes to mind immediately) that will fair better than your typical US highway.
So once again, it's all about the Benjamins...
__________________
Don't get killed. That's the other guys' job. -- Isaac Arthur

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.