RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Default North California Locations

Well as some of you know HQs campaign have taken us to north california,namly Eureka in Humboldt county.

Anyone have any info regarding:
-production
-fuel production
-factories
etc
Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 PM
[Armchair Commando]

Send a message via MSN to Snake Eyes Send a message via Yahoo to Snake Eyes

My general knowledge of the area is that there is now a deep water port at Eureka that is home to a good sized commercial fishing fleet and a road transport head for container shipping - but I'm not sure what the timeline was for those improvements and I'm also not sure if it's also a railhead. My understanding of the local industry is limited to lumber/forestry, dairy farming and growing boatloads of high-grade marijuana.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 PM

Eureka doesn't have much other than what Snake mentioned, with one addition which may cause your group some complications: Pelican Bay State Prison isn't far away from Eureka, and whether or not the inmates are still locked up, you may or may not have marauder trouble. (thank you MSNBC's Lockup show) Pelican Bay, for the uninitiated, houses the State of CA's worst offenders in "Supermax" conditions.

As far as rail's concerned, Amtrak does stop there, but that's the limit of my knowledge. The pot farmers may have to switch to food: you can't eat their usual crop. No doubt the fishermen are very busy, even if they have to switch to alcohol fuel or sails.

In fact, Northern CA and Southern Oregon were felt during the Cold War as being the safest areas in CONUS: nothing worth attacking and no worries about fallout. The Big Bend Country of Texas was also felt to be very safe.

Old USMC Adage
Old 03-04-2009, 09:44 PM
[Armchair Commando]

Send a message via MSN to Snake Eyes Send a message via Yahoo to Snake Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wiser

Eureka doesn't have much other than what Snake mentioned, with one addition which may cause your group some complications: Pelican Bay State Prison isn't far away from Eureka, and whether or not the inmates are still locked up, you may or may not have marauder trouble. (thank you MSNBC's Lockup show) Pelican Bay, for the uninitiated, houses the State of CA's worst offenders in "Supermax" conditions.
Can't believe I forgot about the prison. I had a PC concept for an Oregon 2013 campaign that Max was going to run who was going to be a former corpsman turned meth-head/outlaw bike ganger that escaped from Pelican Bay in the aftermath of the EMP with stolen riot armor and a shotgun.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:04 AM

Nice Info on Eureka. I don't know the place at all and tend to make it the main harbor for the Pacific and Middle-East Fleet. If understand you well, that seems to be a valid idea if I include some marauder problems.

Nice, nice, very nice.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:42 AM

Default well...

I've allready located

a gas powerplant
an iron mine
some wind thurbin system of SHELL corp
an nuclear powerplant

apart from this I'd guess a decent factory producing solar power panesl would help (in any states)
Old 03-05-2009, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

I can get you all power and chemical plants if you want. Might take til Saturday I have a website launch Friday.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
I can get you all power and chemical plants if you want. Might take til Saturday I have a website launch Friday.
website launch?
Old 03-05-2009, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Not a gaming site, just an online sales site for a friend.

Had to launch in 8 days so it is a time compressed launch and it is keeping me busy.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Activist Rules Lawyer

What Snake eyes said,

lots of lumber up in the northern part of california. Also, marijauana growers in that area.

There is also the Sierra Military Depot on the north east end of the state. If I recall, they dispose of chemical weapons?

I wasn't aware of an active nuclear power plant up in that part of the state. There was the Humboldt Bay nuclear power plant, but that was closed in the 70's I beleive.

There's a geothermal plant a little south of the area you're describing called Geysers Geothermal plant.

also up that aways is Mt. Shasta, a dormant volcano.

not that I want to sound like a shill, but you can also check out this order of battle:

http://www.reocities.com/orrin_ladd/cali1.htm

Last edited by kato13; 02-16-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 AM

Default thanx boogy

sadly any ORBATs would be totaly useless in HQs campaign since we are now after WW5 -

Basically nothing grows
Fishing is just a new way of getting cancer (from eating fish)

And it's basically anarchy all over.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:30 AM

Default btw

same info regarding Oregon and other US states would be appreciated
Old 03-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Law's been working on a writeup of the Pacific Northwest and California. I'm not sure if he'll get it done prior to his departure. He's from up that way, so it will be well worth reading!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 03-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Elite Couch Commando

Send a message via Yahoo to Twilight2000v3MM

Pelican Bay does have the MAX yard but there aren't as many bad-bad-bad-bad guys there as you may think. PB is a level I/IV facility meaning tehre are alot of prisoners that aren't "as bad" as the other facilities (I forget if Level I was the lowest or Level IV was the lowest). The worst of the worst maybe there but the bad-bad-bad guys are mostly in San Quentin (like Richard Ramirez (Night Stalker), Charles Manson, and, LOL, Scott Peterson) - those guys are MAX yard where, if lucky, they get out for one hour a day AND THEN with 2-3 guys in the yard with them. Pelican Bay has a lot of top tier gang members who, I GUA-RAN-TEE, would be off'ed by the C.O.s as soon as they get a chance. They are too much of a risk to let out to society.

I would be more concerned with the pot growers in Humbolt County then the population of PB. though i can totally see the growers "hiring" the PB escapees as security for their facilities.

Th Ukia (sp) area has low rolling hills with some dense forrest and such. I've been turkey hunting up there and both Snake, Matt, and Boogie are right not much in the way of industry up there.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:54 PM

Default Lots of Info...

well guys ...thanx for info/insight/inspiration......

but seiously...is there a Google Earth reference or map that shows ....

- Factories
- Waterworks
- Nuclear plants
- mineral sites
- military sites...

As I see it a thread dedicated to various info about the USA forces/locations and not to mention - the locations of all the former production-capacity would be intresting....you know....how many starving slaves/refugees to get this powerplant up and running.....

I might see this would concern somebody at this board,but I'm not trying to provoke anybody....if anyones provoked I'd call that a added bonus....

But seriously....GE locations would be highly appreciated....

Semper Fi,,,,,
Old 03-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Administrator

I can give you a data dump of military sites, nuclear sites, and mineral sites. The government database thread has water sources but I have not figured out how to stitch all the county data yet, and to be honest it would be hard to map as I don't think sub county information has any location information.

I think I have a excel file with all power plants. Not sure if it has long/lat but it would have city/county data.

From what I understand of Google earth, a data file with all these points (it would be multiple thousands for the US) would overload it. I seem to remember reading that over 5000 lines total, a KML file will freak out. Each data point has at least 6 lines and probably closer to 10. This is why it has been low on my priority list until I can generate country level data, or perhaps points within a ~200 mile radius of a search location.

I have attached an excel file with the data points from my gaming site map for California with some of the points you asked for (US Military Base, Oil Refinery, Nuclear Plant, Hydro Plant, Steel Mill, Ammunition Plant, Renewable PWR). I am still processing mines/processing plants. Water sources is down the road a bit. And I never loaded fuel based power plants.

You can do a Google search for Excel to KML and there are a few programs out there that should be able to convert it. Sorry I can't build it as I don't have Google earth loaded at the moment, so I can't test my results. The second sheet has a key explaining the data types.
Attached Files
File Type: xls california points.xls (74.5 KB, 171 views)
Old 03-14-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Pain
well guys ...thanx for info/insight/inspiration......

but seiously...is there a Google Earth reference or map that shows ....

- Factories
- Waterworks
- Nuclear plants
- mineral sites
- military sites...
There is no nuclear power plants near Eureka CA, or in Northern CA for that matter.

Califorina only has two nuke plants: San Onofre down near Camp Pendlton, and the Diablo Canyon plant in San Luis Obispo County, California.

There was Rancho Seco nuclear plant that was located south east of Sacramento. But it ceased operating in 1989.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:57 AM

Default nuclear plants

Humboldt bay nuclear powerplant was the first on in CA ,it was put on 30 year storage in 1985 ,its not far from Eureka.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Elite Couch Commando

Send a message via Yahoo to Twilight2000v3MM

My bad... Charlie is at Corcoran not San Quentin.

Tags
california, locations, united states