RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Commander's machinegun

leonpoi 08-31-2008, 04:09 AM I've always assumed that the tank commander had to poke himself out of his hatch to use the AA machinegun, but I've seen at least one description of a tank (I think T-84) where the gun was remote controlled by the commander. Do any of you military hardware buffs know which tanks that appear in the main tw2k book would have RC commander's machineguns?

Thanks in advance.

Mohoender 08-31-2008, 05:59 AM I don't exactly recall which tanks have such remote control MG but I think they are plenty now.

Argentina: VCTP AIFV: one at the back.

France: Leclerc tank.

Russia: BTR-80S APC.

Spain: BMR-600 APC.

Switzerland: some versions of the MOWAG Piranha.

These are the one I'm sure of but there ought to be several others. However, I expect these to be quickly out of order without proper maintenance and never really paid attention to the subject.

copeab 08-31-2008, 08:19 AM I don't exactly recall which tanks have such remote control MG but I think they are plenty now.

Argentina: VCTP AIFV: one at the back.

France: Leclerc tank.

Russia: BTR-80S APC.

Spain: BMR-600 APC.

Switzerland: some versions of the MOWAG Piranha.

These are the one I'm sure of but there ought to be several others. However, I expect these to be quickly out of order without proper maintenance and never really paid attention to the subject.

Although not remote controlled, the M48 and M60 tanks located the commander's MG in a rotating cupola, so the commander could use the gun without exposing himself. Armor value is much less than that of the main turret though -- probably only enough to protect against AP rounds from a HMG.

Brandon

Hangfire7 08-31-2008, 12:11 PM I am no tanker but I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night

But, this sounds like a job for super tanker!

Muns? Care to answer this question?

Now going with my limited knowledge,

I beleive the mini comanders copula has the trigger inside the copular so all one needs to do is press it to activate, which can be done with him sitting in the turret, sitting on top with his hand inside hitting the trigger or sitting/standing deep down in the tank and reaching up with his hand. And I am pretty sure he can do so buttoned up.

Also, as I recall alot of the modern tanks have window slits or periscopes, not sure all around the comanders copula/turret which would allow him to see around and bring the weapon to target and again fire.

However, it makes me wonder if it does, how hard it would be for someone with a good tech skill. I actualy had that done with an NPC Bradely crewman/comander in my chat game in 04. I mentioned him before, "Lil Tony" the Bradley commander who had both legs shot off and so after recovery he fitted his Bradley with handrails and pull up bars and remote controls to drive it while in the turret, as well as to traverse the gun and fire while in the drivers seat and a remote control with cable to operate elsewhere. Along with a video camera so he can see and operate the guns as well.

Another question for Muns, could a tank or similiar APC be fitted with a remote control to either operate the turret and aim/fire the turret or drive and control the vehicle. I am thinking like they modify vehicles for handicaped persons so instead of having foot pedals they give them levers to operate the accelorator and brake.

leonpoi 08-31-2008, 04:34 PM Thanks for the replies so far. I guess what I'm wondering is if the commander is firing away with the machinegun is he vulnerable to being shot? Also, how does the cupola spin?

Hangfire7 08-31-2008, 05:00 PM Comanders as I have seen, from the ground looking up, I think they can adjust the seat to specific heights. where just the head is sticking up, were their torso from about waist up is up, to where you just see the top of their helmet, or where you don't see them at all. And depending on the setting shows what portion of them is exposed. As for being able to fire, again as long as the hand can reach the trigger they can fire. And that is my less than expert opinion and knowledge.

any tankers? anyone?

Paul, you rode in Bradleys, I would imagin it would be similiar, Radar, you rode in LAVs again its an armored vehicle with a turret. After all big hulking machines with armor and bigger BB guns than we poor foot slogging types, well, you all look alike to us expecialy as you leave us covered in dust and choking on your diesel fumes ya bastages But on the plus side, you get to the battle first and to quote Pvt Jones 213 from Zulu, "I see no sense in runnin ta get ta a baattle."

pmulcahy 08-31-2008, 06:52 PM The Bradley, as issued, doesn't have a commander's machinegun -- but the BUSK (Bradley Urban Survival Kit) provides an overhead mount for one in some of its iterations. There are also experiments going on to mount a CROWS station on the commander's hatch. However, if you cannot aim and fire a commander's weapon from inside the turret (you can do that on the M-1A2 Abrams), you expose the head, chest, arms, and a bit of the torso.

thefusilier 09-01-2008, 04:58 AM The Bradley, as issued, doesn't have a commander's machinegun

Paul, there is no mount for any machine gun on the top of the turret correct? You have the coax and thats it? Would it be difficult to rig a mount for the cmdr and gunner?

pmulcahy 09-01-2008, 11:02 AM Not even a mount -- just a bunch of vision blocks. As far as rigging mounts, that what part of the BUSK is about.

pmulcahy 09-01-2008, 03:46 PM If you go here...

http://www.pmulcahy.com/tracked_apcs...acked_apcs.htm

...last month I completely re-wrote my Bradley entry. It's huge and pretty detailed, if I may say so myself...

Hangfire7 09-01-2008, 05:23 PM And I know you are completely impartial to that site too aren't you Paul.

If you go here...

http://www.pmulcahy.com/tracked_apcs...acked_apcs.htm

...last month I completely re-wrote my Bradley entry. It's huge and pretty detailed, if I may say so myself...

pmulcahy 09-01-2008, 05:42 PM And I know you are completely impartial to that site too aren't you Paul.

But of course!

leonpoi 09-01-2008, 09:20 PM But of course! :grinsend_ thanks for the discussion so far and also for the impartiality. :evillaugh