RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 AM

Default Another Arab-Israeli War?

Seems that Egypt is moving more of its military into the Sinai, in violation of the peace accords and Israel is not very happy. There have been media reports of an letter asking the Egyptians to withdraw their units back across the Canal.

Anybody else hearing anything about this?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:31 AM

Awesome, I guess we're about to find out how well the Merkava-III fares against the export version of the M1...
Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 AM

Default Egyptian troop movements

As far as I know the Egyptian army is moving there to crack down on Islamist groups operating across the border with Palestinian territories - after tsaid Islamists ambushed and killed 26 Egyptian troops not long ago.

Egypt couldnt be interested in a scuffle with Israel now - considering the amount of aid the US pours into it to keep it "stable". ( read .- keep the army powerful and in control of theeconomy and the nation)

Net loss for the Egyptian army would be to great. Lose the war ( I imply they would) and also loose their financial backing from the US.

I dont see it.

ALL in my humble opinion of course.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

I also don't think that the Maryland National Guard would take take to kindly to the Egyptian Army trying to over run thier camp which is along the border too, nore would the two other battalions under US control in the region

http://www.mfo.org
Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 PM

When Israel launches her pre-emptive strike against Iran, things may change a bit.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:53 PM

There is alot of talk that the Egyptians are moving armor, artillery and air defense units into the Siani and the Israelis are reported as having sent a formal note asking the Egyptain government to order the withdraw of these units.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Sabre Ready!

Send a message via AIM to Panther Al

Officially: The Egyptians asked permission to move 3500 men into the region to crack down on the nut jobs. Israel signed off on this.

Problem is that the nature of the troops being sent isn't what Israel was expecting. Thats the issue. Of course, they sent in at last count just over 4k, but the number doesn't mean much if they was just leg infantry. Egypt has done that before and no one batted an eye because it was a small percentage increase, and they was pulled back once they was done doing what they was doing (Cracking Nut Job's Heads).

Proud fan(atic) of the CV90 Series.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 AM

with all the recent talk about Iran and Israel, I've been crusing some of the various Israeli news websites (at least the English-language ones!) and I keep coming across small articles concerning the Egyptian forces in the Sinai, from what I've been able to glean so far, it appears that a mechanized infantry brigade has been moved north of the passes along with air defense units, here the sources claim either several batteries, this is what seems to have the Israelis in such an uproar, after all, what use are SAMs in controlling the border?

the general tone is one of guarded concern, as long as the brigade is deployed for a short period, then the Israelis may not react, its the movement of the ADA forward that they are protesting.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Administrator

With their shared history (the '67 & '73 wars, especially), both sides could be forgiven for being suspicious.

I doubt it, but perhaps the Egyptian goverment (from most accounts, serving at the military's pleasure) is trying to quell domestic unrest by attacking the almost universally (in the Arab world, that is) despised Israel. Hey, the same ploy worked great for the Argentinian Junta in '82.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 08-23-2012, 08:36 PM

I can't see what Egypt has to gain by only attacking in Brigade strength. I think they learned their lesson..
Old 08-23-2012, 09:49 PM

Maybe the air defense units are just because they want to use ZSU-23-4s for Middle East-style crowd control . . .
Old 08-24-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseSoldier View Post
Maybe the air defense units are just because they want to use ZSU-23-4s for Middle East-style crowd control . . .
Now that is an ugly image. The aftermath of a car bomb in a marketplace pales by comparison. Yeesh. Can you imagine cleaning up afterwards?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral View Post
Yeesh. Can you imagine cleaning up afterwards?
Isn't that what carrion eaters are for?
Old 08-24-2012, 04:21 AM

Default Sinai

isnt really too crowded guys.

Been there once in 2003/2004. Nice snorkling.

Also saw the Israeli side. Nice girls

Dont see that this is even close to posing any real threat to Israel - abrigade size unit and some SAMs.

Israel of course have to put up a stern face and wiggle a warning finger - after all they fought a war to have Sinai demilitarized and it wouldnt do to set a precedent for sloppy handling of Egyptian military manouvering.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Isn't that what carrion eaters are for?
They used M42 Dusters, M3 Halftracks with Dual- and Quad-.50 mounts and the estimable M163 PIVADs as perimeter point-defense vehicles at firebases in Vietnam. I doubt there was much left of the goon rush after a mad minute.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral View Post
Now that is an ugly image. The aftermath of a car bomb in a marketplace pales by comparison. Yeesh. Can you imagine cleaning up afterwards?
That's why there are crows, buzzards and other carrion eaters..
Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 PM

Maybe I should start reading ALL the thread before replying..