RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Anyone thought about this

GDWFan 07-10-2005, 06:27 PM Ive always wished that although maybe improbable that the Twilight War had been structered more like WW2. I enjoy the GDW Canon very much but It would be cool to see a 5 or 6 year timeline of invasion, diplomocy, alliance and betrayal. Ive thought that mostly it would give the players a new fictonal time where they could plot there service record. Ive worked a little on it and wondered what you all thought?

abaumgartg 07-11-2005, 03:49 AM One thing I like about t2k is that almost anything is possible. And what is more, you can make pretty big changes from one area to the next. I will start it with the standard Poland series, but I have big plans for a campaign once it gets back to the US (perhaps I'm just a dreamer to think I can keep a game going this long :smokin: ). I think the northwest is where I want to take things. Someone had the idea of making the PC's US Marshals upon their return to the US; I love it and will use it! What is below is a working outline I have previously put together. The details may not be to your liking, but I intend it as an example of how to make intrigue and espionage as part of the t2k campaign.

There is milgov (or was it civgov?) in Seattle. The standard canon has NA running south to north through Idaho along the Snake River. I will shift them east to west along the Columbia River and a little of the Snake (that means the Cascade mountain range is the boarder between NA & Milgov and the rugged plateaus/snake river valley makes the eastern "boarder" of NA). The NA area is vast open land, deserts and mountains make much of this land unsuitable for dense population, although pockets of "civilization" dot much of it. This is how our heroes manage to travel through NA land... :devilfing

Most of the NA control is limited to the Columbia River and its tributaries. Water is the limiting factor here. NA is in the process of making an irrigation system. They are slowly pushing their way out from the rivers with open channel irrigation ditches. But terrain and the intense evaporation of the area limit how far water can be brought. If they can successfully manufacture their new irrigation pipes and windmill powered pumping system, they will exponentially increase their numbers. Milgov is clueless of these plans, if only some heroes could discover these plans... But then where is the technology and raw materials coming from??? If only milgov had some undercover operatives in NA... :mean:

I moved NA because the Snake River is wild south of Lewiston, ID/Clarkston, WA. It is not commercially navigable today other than the jet boats that take tourists and fishermen up and down it. And the mountains (Bitterroot and Saw teeth) make traveling overland tough. There is only one road connecting north and south Idaho, and it ain't much compared to most highways. I guess what I am saying is that GDW did not think this one through. I have spent too much time hiking and fishing in the area to believe anyone could govern this area in twilight 2000 conditions. Hell, I would argue the feds don't really control this area today as much as they would have people believe. I see most of northern and central Idaho as pockets of control with vast spaces in between. This area is perfect for an almost "western" genre approach.

Instead you can "populate" northern Idaho with the folks who really live there. Survivalists, Indians (Nez Pierce, Coeur d' Alene, Palouse, Spokan, Shoshone, Kalispel, etc, etc--there are lots in the area), small farming/logging communities trying to eek out a living; throw in some criminals, gun nuts, and other freaks trying to avoid attention (you know, normal northern Idahonians), and you have some serious tension. On top of that, many, if not most Indians today can pass for white. My point here is that, at least to an outsider (i.e., the PC's), it could be real tough to tell who is who just by sight. How do our heroes discover where the NA cells are located??? We know the raw materials for the NA irrigation system is coming from here, but who could have a mining operation in these parts?? And how do our heroes find it???

You have the potential for some great role-playing, complete with irony. Imagine some Indian nations aligned with milgov against NA. NA dominating the land in between the two groups, perhaps with sleeper cells both in the Seattle area and in N Idaho. Maybe a few rival Indiana nations trying to mess up that alliance. There are also many smaller communities, suspicious of outsiders, but potentially holding the balance of power if they sided with one group or the other.

I have also been considering making a group near Hells Canyon consisting of some armed farmers and a tribe of the Nez Pierce. What is unique about this group is that they have managed to gather enough old crop dusters and ultra lights to maintain their independence--Hell's wasps they are called. They have parts for a small air force, but limited manpower prevents any more from being made. But NA is now aware of their presence. Just image how much more NA could control its land if it had these planes???

Anyway, my point is that I think the t2k setting makes for *great* intrigue. And if you get tired of what you have built up, send the PC's a hundred miles away and things can be pretty different.

PS- I am putting this area together *very* slowly. Ideas or suggestions are most welcome.