RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 09-22-2015, 03:57 PM

Default Envisioning Prime Base-First Principals

So there appears to be a HUGE amount of confusion about Prime Base. There is what was in canon for 1st-3rd editions (I don't think any canon changed during this period. There was the addition of the skill rules and some different artwork in the rule book but that is about it-I think)

The rule book makes mention of a playtest Prime Base. This had X levels and Y people and I took as nothing except rumor. Then there is the Module, which has a total of over 33 levels in several discrete structures and hosts several hundred people.

Then there is 4th edition and I haven't looked through everything there yet.

But let's go back to first principals.
What are Prime Base's Missions?
How do those missions change through time?
What does it need to have to directly support those missions?
What does it need to have to provide indirect support for those missions?

f these can be agreeded upon maybe it would be easier to design the base?
Old 09-22-2015, 05:24 PM

Prime Base References

TMP Game Book, 3rd Edition
Introduction Page, 3rd paragraph
p. 34, 2nd paragraph under Types of Morrow Project Installations heading
Prime Base, Project File R-008

TMP Game Book, 4th Edition
p. 11, 4th paragraph under Day One heading
pp. 27-28, eight paragraphs under Prime Base heading
p. 190, 3rd paragraph under About the Morrow Project heading
drivethruRPG.com has a .pdf file copy of the 4th edition game book for $15
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/...erm=Morrow+Pro

The eight paragraphs under the Prime Base heading on pp. 27-28 of the 4th edition book provides general answers to the submitted questions. For a 4th edition re-write of the Project File R-008, Prime Base module should start with the material in the 4th ed. game book IMO.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:12 PM

Thank you for the reference

Since I am exploring all options, but am basically working on this for my own edification and for the campaign I am currently running I am looking for a wider set of answers.

I supported the 4th edition KS (and have a credit for "Additional Author/Contributor as well, on page 2 up near the top) btw, so I've had my copy for quite some time.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:27 PM
Internet Intellectual

So what is and what is not Prime Base?

Well, for one we know that it is in place to record the final days of civilization. The events of the war as they unfold and to monitor the situation following. From these observations, decisions on when to begin the Project are to be influenced.

Was it ever really the Command and Control (C2) of the Project to begin with?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:19 AM

Prime Base (and its backup) was the sole repository of all the Project bases and codes. This makes another role being the way to completely break the compartmentalization of the Project and let the teams in the field join up and coordinate efforts.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:02 PM

One of Prime Bases Functions.

This is from Space Gamer/Fantasy Gamer #82, By Paul Worzel, Article "Computers in The Morrow Project".

Paul is Bill Worzel's brother.

The article is really dated from a technology standpoint, but it lay's out what should be considered official TML / TMP information about The Morrow Online Network (MORONET), which Prime base was the central hub for.

TML certainly knew about the AT&T Long Haul Microwave System that runs across the country just based on a few pieces of information in this article.

The Morrow Online Network (MORONET)

Communications between Morrow teams was considered vital by the Morrow Project planners. The MORONET system was designed to be a flexible remote network of variable bandwidth. This would allow a variable number of Morrow vehicles to communicate differing amounts of information both with Prime Base and with other Morrow teams via the MPV onboard computer.

The key to this computer network is the communications links between Prime Base and the rest of the country (and the rest of the world). Prime Base has the computer capacity to receive and handle up to 10,000 real-time requests simultaneously. The limiting factors in the network are the number of communications links, the amount of information which c.an be transferred over these links and, most importantly, the technical now-how to build and maintain the communications equipment. The initial commination with Morrow Project teams would be by radio. No computer linkups were anticipated at this stage of the Project.

The communication satellite described in PF-06 Operation Lonestar would be the first high volume data link to the Morrow team in the field. Once this was established, either from the Johnson Space Center or from one of the backup sites, the Project teams would be able to access the databases and computers of Prime Base but without the ability for high volume, high speed transfers typical of full blown computer networks.

As pre-War equipment was salvaged and repaired, microwave relay stations were expected to be put back in working order by the Teams. These would provide the first high volume information links to Prime Base as they extended back to the Prime Base area and this would allow MORONET to begin operation in its true capacity. The areas serviced by MORONET would be strictly limited to those areas where microwave links were complete through to Prime Base. In addition, because of the high precision needed for such transmissions, only vehicles tied into a resupply base could make full use of the information available at Prime Base and only after the communications link was established.

The final level of communication envisioned by MORONET was planned after coast-to-coast phone communications were reestablished. It was estimated by the Morrow planners that this stage would be reached approximately 15-20 years after the War. However, because of the destruction of Prime Base, neither the communications lines nor (more importantly) the expertise to get them up and running still exist. As a result, it is not likely that this level of communications will be reached in less than 50 years after the reconstruction of Prime Base.

Once reached, this final level allows complete computer networking along with videotext and television transmission for those stations able to make use of them. The computer link provides direct access to Morrow data files, including pictures, audio recordings and an interactive communication network with other network members which allows the direct exchange of large volumes of information.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:05 PM

I dig that, nice stuff
Old 09-25-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
So what is and what is not Prime Base?

Well, for one we know that it is in place to record the final days of civilization. The events of the war as they unfold and to monitor the situation following. From these observations, decisions on when to begin the Project are to be influenced.

Was it ever really the Command and Control (C2) of the Project to begin with?
In both V3 and V4, PB is presented as THE command center of ALL of Morrow.

As presented by V3 and V4, PB never started its' job as C3I. As I recall the scenario, about two years after The Day, PB started to review the local conditions. This review led to the decision to start Pahutte Place. This was designed as a trial balloon to help learn what did and did not work. The planners wanted to start the project at that time. But then the influence of Krell started the influx of more refugees that began to overwhelm the Morrow presence.

Then came the explosion of the nuke in Pahutte Place.

Prime buttoned up. And then the Bio hit. PB died.

My $0.02

Mike