RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 05-22-2009, 01:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971
Default My campaigns wartime platoon reorganization...

in my campaign the Battalion commander had carried out a major reorganization of his command. He condensed the basic platoon down as follows, and the Company was composed of four to five of these platoons. Company Headquarters Section contained the majority of the support assets that kept the company paperwork and maintenance going. When i can find the rest of the notes on the Battalion i'll be posting it on it's very own thread. This thread is to help me make the platoon reorganization better and more flexible.

Would the vehicles assigned to the platoon be a seperate section or an organic part of the individual platoon sections?

US Army Platoon Organization (emergency wartime organization):

Section One
2LT <name>, Platoon Commander
SGT <name>, Plt Cmdr Radio-Telephone Operator
SGT <name>, Combat Field Medic
SGT <name>, Fire Team Leader
SPC <name>, Grenadier
PFC <name>, Automatic Rifleman
PV2 <name>, Rifleman
SPC <name>, MG Gunner
PFC <name>, MG Assist. Gunner
PV2 <name>, MG Ammo Bearer
SPC <name>, Designated Marksman

Section Two
SFC <name>, Platoon Sergeant
SPC <name>, Plt Sgt Radio-Telephone Operator
SPC <name>, Combat Field Medic
SPC <name>, Grenadier
PV2 <name>, Rifleman
SPC <name>, MG Gunner

Section Three
SSG <name>, Squad Leader
SPC <name>, Radio-Telephone Operator
SPC <name>, Combat Field Medic
SPC <name>, Grenadier
PV2 <name>, Rifleman
SPC <name>, MG Gunner

Overwatch Recon & Sniper Section:
SGT <>, Spotter
SPC <>, Sniper
PFC <>, Flanker

Embedded Journalism / Combat Correspondent Section:
<name>, Field Correspondent
<name>, Cameraman
<name>, Producer *
<name>, Sound & Lighting Technician *

SPC <>, Anti-Armor Gunner
PFC <>, Anti-Armor Asst. Gunner
PV2 <>, Anti-Armor Ammo Bearer

SPC <>, Mortar Gunner
PFC <>, Mortar Asst. Gunner
PV2 <>, Mortar Ammo Handler
Old 05-23-2009, 04:48 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Hmmm Looks to be a reinforced platoon. I don't ever remember our platoon having more than one medic, maybe a 2nd one from the aid station. Nice that the 2nd fire team are now MG teams assigned to each squad.

As for assigning vehicles.

If they are tracked or mounted then they should be assigned.

If they are used from transportation sub-unit and to only motorized, then no. In WWII many Infantry units were motorized, would be loaded in Duece and half and taken to predetermine distance behind the front and the troop would dismount and go to the front from there. Then the transportation would go back and get the next unit making it was up on foot.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott Shaull
Hmmm Looks to be a reinforced platoon. I don't ever remember our platoon having more than one medic, maybe a 2nd one from the aid station. Nice that the 2nd fire team are now MG teams assigned to each squad.

As for assigning vehicles.

If they are tracked or mounted then they should be assigned.

If they are used from transportation sub-unit and to only motorized, then no. In WWII many Infantry units were motorized, would be loaded in Duece and half and taken to predetermine distance behind the front and the troop would dismount and go to the front from there. Then the transportation would go back and get the next unit making it was up on foot.
Sounds good... I saw the reorganization of the divisions into a leaner more combat capable force as important, especially since support forces needed to be absorbed by combat forces to bring them as close to combat capable as possible. Thus the appearence of field training 'schools' that would create new riflemen or direct combat support (ie medics) for those who had moral objections to engaging in direct combat. I had felt this allowed platoons and their 'squads' to become as self-sufficient as possible during long range patrols (namely after seeing saving private ryan, and the make up of the group sent out to find PVT Ryan)...

I added a sniper overwatch & scout section with the three man composition since i had read that many nations have added a thrid position as 'flanker' to their sniper teams to protect the sniper and spotter whiel they where focused on their targets. I saw these overwatch/recon teams as perfect when supported by each of the designated marksman from the individual sections when they really needed to rip enemy positions with precision marksmanship and gunfire... i have thought of a section that would have a mortar team and anti-armor team... but i don't know. i need help with that aspect with advice from actual combat infantrymen who'd know if that would really make a platoon more self-sufficient or not.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:09 PM
The Stat Guy

Just a slight note: When I was in the Army, and you were a PV2 for more than a few months after arriving at your first unit, you were either pogue or you'd been demoted at some point. The T2K situation may alter things, but that's my two cents.

OT aside: I knew a guy who'd been demoted to E-none so many times that he took some blank name tag tape and made himself sew-on PV1 rank. (A PV1 has no stripes.) His superiors didn't think it was funny...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 05-24-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
Just a slight note: When I was in the Army, and you were a PV2 for more than a few months after arriving at your first unit, you were either pogue or you'd been demoted at some point. The T2K situation may alter things, but that's my two cents.

OT aside: I knew a guy who'd been demoted to E-none so many times that he took some blank name tag tape and made himself sew-on PV1 rank. (A PV1 has no stripes.) His superiors didn't think it was funny...
ROFLOL! That's just too good! Reminds me of some really funny things when i was in as well.

I have a feeling that during the war the ranks of PVT and PV2 would be held by those draftees that where there 'just to fill in the ranks' as it where. Promotion to higher ranks would end up being career military or those draftees who would actually be damn good at their jobs.

Does anyone have suggestions about the Mortar and Anti-Armor assets being directly assigned to the platoon level with this reorganization that i'm using? Or does any have any suggestions for improving it? Or should I keep it the way it is?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:11 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971
Does anyone have suggestions about the Mortar and Anti-Armor assets being directly assigned to the platoon level with this reorganization that i'm using? Or does any have any suggestions for improving it? Or should I keep it the way it is?
We're (I'm guessing) talking about light infantry here, so the way we did it at the 82nd was that we had a 60mm mortar team attached to us from the Weapons Platoon, and everyone carried four rounds in addition to his normal gear. We also had a machinegun team attached to us (gunner and 2 A-gunners) that were part of the platoon. Antiarmor assets consisted of just about everyone carrying an M-136, and one squad member with a Dragon (these were pre-Javelin days) and two other troops carrying spare rounds. (I kept getting the Dragon in my younger days -- when I first got to the 82nd, I was the only one in the platoon with a C2 designator.) The TOW guys had HMMWVs with TOW launchers on them, and they scooted around as needed; the same as the 81mm mortar teams.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 05-25-2009, 07:02 AM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971
ROFLOL! That's just too good! Reminds me of some really funny things when i was in as well.

I have a feeling that during the war the ranks of PVT and PV2 would be held by those draftees that where there 'just to fill in the ranks' as it where. Promotion to higher ranks would end up being career military or those draftees who would actually be damn good at their jobs.

By 2000 there would be many Draftees who entered service as late as 1998 who would be now would be NCO.