RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2008, 03:04 AM

Default OT-Do you know more about San Diego crash?

From everything I read (including US press reports), the pilot ejected before the plane went down. However, he was flying above civilian habitations and I find that surprising? Here, from what I know, pilots would die trying to get their plane out of such an area. Actually, one of my cousin's friend was killed flying his mirage away from houses.

Not that I'm coming up with any type of accusation but I find that report disturbing. So don't take any offense.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:17 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

The pilot was unbelievably close to making it to the airport.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4444+C...=14&iwloc=addr

But with no engine and at around 200 feet, he must have realized he would not make it and he ejected.

I am sure he is torturing himself over what ended up happening.

Last edited by kato13; 12-09-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:54 AM

Thanks for that clarification Kato. From the reports I had, he was at 600-800 feet. Then, it was more than surprising. The innacuracy must have come from the french translators who cetainly forgot that in U.S. you speak in feet and not in meters.

Saddly I hadn't come across these figures from US. I'm sure that what you said about the pilot is true and now I understand it better. Things are entirely different at 200 feet from what they are at 600.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:30 PM

From what I understand (the Los Angeles Times), he was trying to steer away from the neighborhood into an unpopulated canyon when he lost the other engine (he lost one shortly after launch from Abe Lincoln), and had no choice but to get out. My cousin drives Hornets for the USN, and she told me that flying on one engine can be difficult, but can be done (it's happened before in both peactime accidents and after battle damage). But if the other engine goes....gravity wins, my friend. And it's time to grab that handle next to the seat and punch out.

Old USMC Adage
Old 12-09-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wiser
From what I understand (the Los Angeles Times), he was trying to steer away from the neighborhood into an unpopulated canyon when he lost the other engine (he lost one shortly after launch from Abe Lincoln), and had no choice but to get out. My cousin drives Hornets for the USN, and she told me that flying on one engine can be difficult, but can be done (it's happened before in both peactime accidents and after battle damage). But if the other engine goes....gravity wins, my friend. And it's time to grab that handle next to the seat and punch out.
I agree. However, if he had been at 600 feet and not at 200, I can bet he would have died at his plane command still trying to get out of the neighborhood, even without engine, using whatever speed was left.

That's what I understood from all the combat pilot I have know so far (and they are a few) and that's what surprised me in the original report (don't forget that the french news gave 600 and not 200, yes they are incompetent! as all the press worldwide). That's why I asked. Then, I see this has to be hardly possible at 200 feet, he certainly didn't have enough speed to make it any further.

Also from what I know from other pilots, he will not live through this with ease. Moreover, if the people killed are indeed (as I read from newspaper, 8000 miles away) a grand-ma, a mother and 2 kids, that will be even harder for the pilot.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:32 PM

I feel bad for the families of the deceased and I feel bad for the pilot too. No sane, moral person wants to be involved in the deaths of innocent people.