RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Default Demographics of T2K Poland

In my T2K campaign, and most others I've encountered, the Polish countryside is bereft of young men (aged 16-40 or so). As such, the appearance of a small group of heavily armed young men (like a PC party) always brings both a sense of great danger and of great opportunity to most Polish communities. This has always seemed natural to me but I'm starting to wonder if this assumption is indeed erroneous.

Here's my thinking. I'm sharing it because I'd like to know what your thoughts on this matter are.

In the lead up to the European war, I think that many young Polish men (optimal draft age would be, what, 18-25 or 30?) would be drafted/mobilized into either regular army units (to either bring them up to full fighting strength or create new ones) or official ORMO units, or a mix of both. The Soviet Union would have instigated this to both reinforce its newly tenuous military position in Europe and for possible use on the China front. I'm not sure what a reasonable percentage of the adult male population drafted at this point would be.

Once the European war kicks off and NATO enters Poland, I see massive attrition for Polish military units. First off, I assume the Soviets would use them to as a sort of speedbump to delay the NATO advance, with Soviet units kept in reserve or used for counterattacks. As such, many Polish units would be destroyed and many Polish soldiers and ORMO captured by NATO forces. I'm thinking that possibly tens of thousands of Polish men would end up as EPWs. Those Polish prisoners who survived the impending nuclear exchange would become a valuable source of labor, either in a civilian capacity or in a military one, for NATO.

On a side note, I would think that a lot of Polish fighting men would have mixed feelings about both the Soviets and NATO. First off, NATO attacked them and can therefore be rightly blamed for instigating the waves of death and destruction sweeping back and forth across Poland. On the other hand, Polish troops could be rightly resentful of how they were used and abused by their Soviet overlords. Now back on topic...

As PACT forces retreat across Poland towards the Soviet border, I imagine that they would sweep up every able-bodied man they could get their hands on and throw them into battle. Casualties among these hastily trained and inexperienced troops would be massive.

Then the nukes start flying. I doubt many POW camps housing captured Polish troops would be specifically targetted but I'm sure that there would be some collateral damage casualties among the prisoner population. I'm sure that the care and feeding of said would suffer as a result of supply shortages and logistical chaos.

So, by mid-2000, I'm thinking that nearly every Polish male between the ages of 16-50 would either be dead, in PACT military service (regular army or ORMO), or in NATO military service (either in labor, logistics, or combat units). The only other males in this age range that my game's PCs ever meet are deserters who've returned to their homes (and/or turned marauder) or cripples.

Am I being too pessimistic? Would the speed and surprise of the NATO blitzkrieg across Poland in the early stages of the European war "save" more of the male population? In other words, would the attack forestall a more comprehensive draft? Would there be more non-military men throughout the Polish countryside in 2000?

I'm also willing to discuss other aspects of Poland's human geography in 2000 in this thread.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 10-11-2011, 02:20 PM

Off the top of my head, I think you may be onto something, with one exception. IIRC, wasn't NATO's 1997 drive months long? While that would increase casualties among Poles, I don't think it would result in inordinate amounts of prisoners. (Of course, there could always be a division or two surrounded). Anyway, there's one hard-fought campaign eastward across Poland, one rapid westward withdrawal, and then it's pretty stable there through '98 and '99, right?

As for using the Poles as a screen for Soviet troops, that would depend on how many Soviets were pulled to go to China (right now, I forget). There were six Soviet armies in East Germany (4-5 divisions each, a half-dozen of those were East German), and 2 Polish and 1 Soviet army in Poland (half of the Soviet army's divisions were Polish). Nearly half of the Polish divisions are reservists, but that shouldn't matter by spring of '97. So you're talking about at least a quarter of the Pact forces in Poland are Polish. If I were the Pact theater commander, I'd certainly be backstopping the Polish forces with Soviet ones, but they wouldn't be covering the whole line, and I read the situation as more than a speedbump that slowed NATO down.

All that said, I think there will be a dire shortage of military-age men in villages and cities, but not an absence. There could be draft exemptions for key workers as well as draft dodgers and black marketeers, desertions and/or marauders. Oh, and discharged wounded veterans.

I hadn't considered what NATO might do with its EPWs, though. Recruiting them for anti-Soviet forces would seem a natural thing, even if they would have to overcome the anti-German and anti-invasion attitudes of the Poles. (Hmm, something else to fit into my hobbyhorse of the '00 offensive as driven by desire to push a Polish defection.)

Final answer: I was going to argue, but I think I'll agree with you.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:18 PM

Poland is essentially a wasteland in my mind. Some areas are worse off than others, but I think it's Black Maddonna which gives us the best indication of just how bad it can get when it states there's only 3% of the prewar population still in Silesia by autumn 2000 (it give population numbers before and after, the maths is easy from there). Granted, that's possibly the worst part of the country, however it gives us a good indication of how the rest of the battlefield fared.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM

I agree that young men aren't going to be on the farm in Poland. They're either carrying weapons or pushing up the daisies. Between chemical weapons, tactical nuclear weapons, strategic nuclear weapons, and the high tide/ebb tide cycle of conventional war across Poland, the place is wreck. Marked and unmarked minefields, UXO, persistent chemical weapons, industrial chemical spills, razed buildings, destroyed bridges, radiation... The only good news is that by 2000 the bodies will have decayed (or have been eaten) to the point at which they no longer present a disease hazard.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Poland is essentially a wasteland in my mind. Some areas are worse off than others, but I think it's Black Maddonna which gives us the best indication of just how bad it can get when it states there's only 3% of the prewar population still in Silesia by autumn 2000 (it give population numbers before and after, the maths is easy from there). Granted, that's possibly the worst part of the country, however it gives us a good indication of how the rest of the battlefield fared.
That could be a regional thing. Certain parts of Poland are likely more or less wasted than others.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

Old 10-11-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
That could be a regional thing. Certain parts of Poland are likely more or less wasted than others.
Some of the challenge articles mention this, with a few towns (Sopot for example) being pretty much intact.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Exactly right. Silesia is bound to be at the worse end of the population spectrum and the numbers don't account for those people who have simply up and left the area. Mind you, they don't account for recent arrivals either.

However, take a look at the city populations pre and post war and you'll see a very dramatic decrease there too. Might not be 97%, but it's still very significant. I think Krakow has 100,000 post war from a pre war figure of 740,000 in 1996 (www.unece.org/env/europe/workshop/krakow.e.pdf). That's still just 13.5% of prewar and many of those post war numbers are refugees from other areas (robotniki, etc).

It's also worth noting Krakow was not nuked, nor was it subject to any significant military action.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-15-2011, 03:15 AM
GM for hire

Krakow wasn't hit, but Nowa Huta was (3 x 20kT airbursts). There would be some effects, as these circles show...

http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/gmap/...50.07799&yd=20
(zoom out a step, and click also on 0.25 psi = breaking windows)
Old 10-15-2011, 08:06 PM
GM for hire

A couple of thoughts:

One thing about the current state of Poland is finding a way to feed the populace that exists. I struck this first thinking about Krakow. If it has 80-100,000 people there, how much farmland is required to support it? Without going into details, I made a rough model for it all, and came up with Krakow needing 800-1,000 square kilometers of farmland to support it. Say 30km x 30km. Hence there must be farming villages around in the area. And so forth...

While I agree areas of Poland are wasteland, I think there needs to be large tracts of land that are farmed to support the people who are around. The Eastern European Sourcebook says there are about 9 million in Poland in 2000 (from pre-war 36 million). Doing a bit of digging, I came up with about 160,000 square kilometers of 'open' (farmable) land in Poland. To support 9 million, using the numbers in the paragraph above, I need to use 90,000 sq km of farmland - say half the open land in Poland. Hence my vision of Poland looks a bit different to some others, and also to canon in places (a notable instance being what I worked out for Czestchowa, which is still inhabited in places). When I looked at it, I couldn't make all the canon sources 'agree'; so I just adapted to fit my train of thought.

Finally, on population, while I agree with the idea of masses of young men being drafted, etc, there will also be mass depopulation events that effect the young and the old. Both of these groups at the ends of the age curve will be massively affected by the breakdown of civilization; lack of medical care, and lack of supporting 18-50 year-olds will spell the deaths of many. In the final wash, I actually feel there will be an age demographic that is similar (but not the same) as pre-war. I think the thing that will skew it most is the relative abundance of women versus men in the 18-50 group.

Happy to discuss more!
Andrew
Old 10-16-2011, 12:27 AM

How much farmland is needed in Poland depends a great deal on variety of factors. The more I learn about food production, the more I understand that a) I know very little and b) many factors play into the yield in calories of a given acreage of land. Regarding Poland, we probably can assume that the crops being grown in Poland in 1997 are generally well-suited to the climate, the soil, the rainfall, etc. Obviously, there will be some exceptions. How much human labor goes into each acre affects the output. Farmland used for large-scale farming prior to the war may be in good condition, or it may have been turned into a hydroponic medium by petrochemical farming. It’s possible for a single productive acre to feed five or more people, provided half or more of the people are working a crop well-suited to intensive agriculture and the farmers know what they are doing. Rice and sweet potatoes are good examples of crops that perform well with [different kinds of] intensive agriculture.

The breakdown of order in Europe will prompt a consolidation of the population into defensible communities. This is not new news, but the consolidation of the population will favor labor-intensive use of smaller parcels of land over prewar norms. This will be true in most locations where security is an issue. (One could even say that security is an agricultural resource on par with water, sunlight, good soil, and labor.)
Old 10-16-2011, 01:46 AM
GM for hire

Yep +1 on all that.

From my findings on Poland of the 90s*, it seems there were a very, very large number of small farms, rather than the larger "petro-chem" farms more common these days in the West. Looking at Google Maps satellite view seems to confirm this, even today.

(* example source here: http://polandpoland.com/farming_poland.html)
Old 10-16-2011, 02:50 AM

In the time before modern, intensive farming techniques there were a number of ways to keep soil fertile. In many places in the world people living on flood plains learned to live with the annual floods, taking the good with the bad. The bad being possibly unpredictable flood levels or the need to evacuate the land for part of the year, the good being that flood-fed, alluvial soils are renewed with every flood cycle.

I'm not sure if parts of Poland might fit into this category but I suspect they will. When the dams are no longer functioning or are gone, the annual floods might make a return in many parts of war-torn T2K Europe (and many other parts of the world).
Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Does anyone know whether the Poles have/had the same attitude to vegetable gardens as other WP countries? In the research for my Ukrainian campaign I've come across a lot of information about it being common practice in the Ukraine for everyone to grow vegetables in their gardens at home, a practice that arose due to food shortages during the Soviet era.

I imagine that this would also have happened in other countries like Poland and it means that much of the population has experience of growing food crops on a small scale, even if their main occupation is not farming. That means that they have more capability to become self-sufficient than much of the population of western countries.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatatain View Post
Does anyone know whether the Poles have/had the same attitude to vegetable gardens as other WP countries? In the research for my Ukrainian campaign I've come across a lot of information about it being common practice in the Ukraine for everyone to grow vegetables in their gardens at home, a practice that arose due to food shortages during the Soviet era.
You mean urban dwellers, right?
Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatatain View Post
Does anyone know whether the Poles have/had the same attitude to vegetable gardens as other WP countries?
There's a thread around here somewhere with a report from one of our people (can't remember which one) who toured through Poland about a year or two back. Lots of very interesting and useful information on that in there.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
There's a thread around here somewhere with a report from one of our people (can't remember which one) who toured through Poland about a year or two back. Lots of very interesting and useful information on that in there.
Yeah I think I know the thread you're talking about, done by one of the US guys I believe but there was another one on one of the Yahoo forums. Done by a friend of mine who was in Ireland for a wedding and stayed in Poland for about a month.
Another friend is in Toruń at the moment doing some English website work for some EU commission or another so I can email him and see if he can get any details about agriculture.

But as for vegetable gardens, apparently some of the town dwellers did keep such gardens and I was told that some older people had even used public flower gardens to plant vegies inbetween the flowers.

<< Bah! My work network won't let me get access to Yahoo, I'll have to try it from home but the post I'm thinking of would have been done about July-August of 2010 in one of the Yahoo T2k groups >>
Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atiff View Post
One thing about the current state of Poland is finding a way to feed the populace that exists. I struck this first thinking about Krakow. If it has 80-100,000 people there, how much farmland is required to support it? Without going into details, I made a rough model for it all, and came up with Krakow needing 800-1,000 square kilometers of farmland to support it. Say 30km x 30km. Hence there must be farming villages around in the area. And so forth...

While I agree areas of Poland are wasteland, I think there needs to be large tracts of land that are farmed to support the people who are around. The Eastern European Sourcebook says there are about 9 million in Poland in 2000 (from pre-war 36 million). Doing a bit of digging, I came up with about 160,000 square kilometers of 'open' (farmable) land in Poland. To support 9 million, using the numbers in the paragraph above, I need to use 90,000 sq km of farmland - say half the open land in Poland. Hence my vision of Poland looks a bit different to some others, and also to canon in places (a notable instance being what I worked out for Czestchowa, which is still inhabited in places). When I looked at it, I couldn't make all the canon sources 'agree'; so I just adapted to fit my train of thought.

Finally, on population, while I agree with the idea of masses of young men being drafted, etc, there will also be mass depopulation events that effect the young and the old. Both of these groups at the ends of the age curve will be massively affected by the breakdown of civilization; lack of medical care, and lack of supporting 18-50 year-olds will spell the deaths of many. In the final wash, I actually feel there will be an age demographic that is similar (but not the same) as pre-war. I think the thing that will skew it most is the relative abundance of women versus men in the 18-50 group.
I like your train of thought. Numbers scare me a bit so I'm going to go ahead and trust your maths here.

I agree that the Polish population c.2000 would be skewed towards young women. Like I said, the appearance of a group of young men on a settlement's doorstep would likely cause quite a stir. On the one hand, there's a chance at acquiring some protection and potential mating partners (with the paucity of the local young male population). On the other, there's a very real chance of sexual violence being perpetrated by the visitors.

I hate to go there, but I think rape would be unfortunately common in Poland c.2000. I know that Poland is traditionally very Catholic, but I wonder if abortion would be more common c.2000. With limited proper medical care available, abortions would likely cause quite a lot of patient (i.e. mother) deaths.

Either way, I reckon that there would be a lot of single mothers in Poland, c.2000.

This is probably fodder for a second thread, but do you think that the Polish military would start conscripting young women at a greater rate once the war was well and truly under way on its territory?

It would be interesting to see someone put together a realistic group of all-female militia/mutual defense force.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 PM

I'm not convinced there'd be significantly more women as a percentage of the total as with the lack of medical care, childbirth could result in death of mothers equal to the rate experienced 150+ years ago (something like 1 in 3 I believe).
Rape as mentioned will be a major factor with many of those instances resulting in either suicide (due to lack of mental healthcare) or outright murder.
Women are also not imune to all the other ills facing the general population - famine, pestilence, exposure, fallout, and the odd stray round or misplaced airstrike.
At most we might see something like a 5% increase in the ratio of women to men, but this will vary wildly depending on the local conditions and history.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-18-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
I put up a trip report of my long weekend in Krakow a couple of years ago...not sure if it's the one you mean, but it might be of interest anyway.

http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=2078
Old 10-18-2011, 04:24 AM
Registered Registrant

After getting home and trawling through emails and such, I've found some of the information I was looking for from my mate who spent a month in Poland. Most of this was already posted to one of the yahoo groups and it's not all about farming but I don't think most of you will mind the extra detail!
So, this is what he emailed me (I've cut out some extraneous crap but not all of it!): -

First email

1.When you get told Polish roads are either okay or bad, believe every word, in fact, just consider them bad all the time!
Some of them are friggen nightmares of potholes and half-arsed efforts at patching up the holes and they patch them with everything from tar to concrete slabs to cobblestones. Sometimes you'll see all three types in the space of ten or so metres. Tar is often "thinned out" so it'll spread further, so not enough is put onto the road to form a good solid base. During summer, these often go soft enough for the traffic to form shallow channels in the road that can be ankle deep! Rain is a nightmare for drivers as you cannot see the potholes in the road and any of them might be quite deep. We got a full load of muddy water sprayed onto the windscreen at one point in Krakow from a passing truck, it was so bad that we had to stop because we just could not see where we were going.

2. A lot of Polish farms that are not running livestock do not have fences and if they do have a few cows or goats, they chain them to a peg so they can graze. You can literally walk off the road right into a farmer's paddock, off his land and into the next farmer's paddocks. You're likely to find a fence around his house and outbuildings however (although this isn't always the case). Fruit orchards however, tend to be fence off.

3. Land for farming is rare as rocking horse shit now, everything that could be used has been used. They won't get more unless they cut down some forests and often the local roads pass right between two or more paddocks operated by the one farm. When this occurs, you can catch the farmer driving his tractor, harvester or truck on the road to the next paddock holding up traffic for some time - and it ain't no fun being stuck behind a tractor hauling a trailer full of potatoes for 10 klicks because he's taking them to market in the next town! Poland produces enough food for it's own use and doesn't appear to be able to produce much more. Food exports don't seem to be too important so there seems to be no impetus to increase agricultural output through the sort of highly mechanized farming we have back home.

4. Sheep don't seem to be part of the diet, it's mostly beef, pork and chicken. I've seen all of the above on farms and even ducks and some goats but I can't recall seeing any sheep. There's also a reasonable amount of fish and chicken eggs on the menu. Meals tend to be carbohydrate heavy, lots of wheat products and green vegetables tend to be cabbage,spinach and lettuce.
Other vegetables are typically potatoes, beets, onion, capsicum (known locally as papryka), cucumber and pickle. There's others but I just can't remember them at the moment. Apples, cherries and strawberries and I think oranges are also grown but all tropical fruit is imported (bananas are a recent novelty and come from any country you want to name in Central or South America).
People often go out of the villages and towns to pick berries and mushrooms in the proper forests and sell them by the roadside (something they'd likely do to supplement their food in T2k no doubt).

5. There's a hell of a lot of lightly forested land spread inbetween various towns even up to the point where one town may be quite spread out because there are anything up to six or seven (and sometimes more) forested "reserves". The towns feature lots of apartment blocks so there's lots of people concentrated in one area but the town planners don't seem to want to cut down the forested areas to provide more land for housing. The apartments are tiny (I'm staying in one at the moment) - kitchen, bathroom, toilet, lounge/living area that doubles as the parent's bedroom and the one bedroom is usually reserved for the kids.

Villages are spread out a bit more and typically feature much bigger houses and while some vacant land may be between various houses, they don't have forest plots like the towns do. They are surrounded by farmland and proper forests. There's a few places that are reserved because they are memorials to victims of WW2. One of the places I went to in Fordon is a really nice walk in the forest with a few pathways to explore between some low, wooded hills. It's called the "Forest of Death" because the Germans slaughtered a mass of Poles in the forest. Some of the walkways are lined with marker stones remembering the victims - there's a fucking lot of them :-(

6. Soviet era apartment blocks generally do not have any sort of elevator if the building is less than seven floors (I'm on the second floor, thank fuck I'm not on the sixth, with my dodgy ankle the constant climb up the stairs would floor me!) And they have very little in the way of alternate entry points, it's either the front door or get in through the balcony or the windows (apparently since the fall of communism there has been an increase in break-ins through the balconies because people would leave the balcony door open to let in the breeze - the hoods climb up from the balcony below then let themselves out through the front door)

7. They sell beer in the corner stores, supermarkets and fuel stations! Not only beer but spirits as well. And not half-strength beer either, it's all full-strength which is comparable to some Aussie beers. I've been in at least two petrol stations were beer was with the softdrinks & water while the spirits were behind the counter. This has been standard practice for decades. AND... they sell beer in 500ml cans and bottles. Now this isn't particularly important in the grand scheme of things but it could be an interesting situation for PCs to find bottles of spirits in the ruins of a petrol station.

8. The summer weather is deceptive, it seems relatively cool to me after Kalgoorlie summers of 47+ degrees C. Some days reach into the high 20s and early 30s. However... the humidity is brutal, often at 70-95% and you can get early morning fog. It rains every so often but it doesn't last for long, often just a few hours but it buckets down and overwhelms the drains. The rain stops, clears the air and the humidity and then the sun gets its chance to get brutal all over again. I'm drinking about 1-2 litres of water more and a few Cokes here and there, just walking around on the tourist trail than what I would back home for the same temperature.

9. Summer time in the thick forests found seperating towns from other towns, cities, farms and so on can be stifling when you walk through them. There's next to no breeze and the canopy traps the moisture so you feel like you're in a hothouse all the damned time. And then there's the gnats and mosquitoes (and they tell me it's NOT a tropical country!)

10. A number of town centres are of the "town square" type, this means a large square or rectangular area formed from local buildings with next to nothing except a few monuments, small buildings, kiosks or stalls around the sides or in the centre. No plants to speak of and all that concrete, brick and cobblestone reflects back the heat to make it feel 10 degrees hotter than it is.

11. I've found a few bridges around the country have fording points nearby. And not some shallow sandy driveway into the water, these are purpose made, permanent facilities with mooring points for pontoons. The one here in Fordon has a wide concrete roadway leading up to it that could easily
fit three trucks side by side. I also found some pontoons nearby, I'll send you some photos if you're interested.

12. The Vistula river has ducks, fish and also mussels in it. It appears to be pretty clean (certainly cleaner than the Swan back home haha) and I would say probably drinkable as long as you boiled it (although I really could not guess at anything like heavy metal content and such like). It does have a problem every now and then with floating debris. Much of the river has tree or shrubs and so on growning right down to the river even in some of the towns although where it passes through a built-up area the banks are usually shored up with stone, concrete or brick and so on. It's damned wide in many places and the current is quite strong from Krakow in the south to Bydgoszcz in the north (a distance of roughly 350 klicks from my rough estimate).

13. Some towns that I visited still have working water pumps in public areas, the hand-pump type and even though some cities have them and have the main handle removed they are still functional apparently and can easily be put back into service. Krakow had a few of these in the old districts.

14. Krakow also has a church that features an artesian bore of drinking quality. It permanently fills a small pool and is accessible to the public. It's known as The Church of St. Stanislaw AKA The Church of the Rock, it's a Paulite church and monastery situated just off the bank of the Vistula almost due south of the Wawel Castle in the Kazimierz. It's pretty much surrounded by a thick stone wall
During the events depicted in T2k I can imagine this church being a strong focal point for the locals, the first native Polish saint was a bishop of the church that stood on the site originally and there are also a number of Polish writers buried in the grounds of the newer church giving the place even more of a focus for the Polish people.
There are a few websites about the church such as
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/p...aws-church.htm

15. Something else that appears to have been unknown to GDW and something I haven't seen mentioned in relation to T2k, there are some small caverns beneath the Wawel castle. I didn't get to enter the caverns but Jay was saying they're smaller than what you would expect (according to the tourist blurb it's also limited access so you can't see them in their entirety). The current entrance is from a turret on the castle walls.
The caverns were apparently the lair of a dragon (although I've heard Polish people call it a basilisk rather than a dragon).
Here's even more links (hahaha)
http://www.cracow-life.com/poland/krakow-dragons-cave
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wawel_Dragon
http://www.krakow-info.com/smocza.htm

The most important thing about these caverns is that 1. there are pools of fresh water in some of them and 2. there is an exit to be found on the embankment below the castle (it's not apparently accessible to the public and it's not easily recognized these days but it's near the dragon statue below the castle walls.
Unfortunately the crypts under the cathedral in Wawel castle are pay to view and you cannot take photos. Having to pay some attention to how much cash I had, I couldn't be arsed seeing them (the cathedral is also pay to view
and I didn't check that out either - Jay's fascinated by church architecture so I'd seen enough of the insides of churches by that stage!)

16. Krakow has had a tram system in operation since the late 1800s, it's all electric now but for the T2k world I can imagine that horse drawn trams or at least wagons using the tram line could be easily put into use. Even perhaps alcohol engined trams maybe? I couldn't tell you what specific lines would be in use but this site gives some good info on the history plus a map of the current system as of 2007 (yeah yeah, more websites!)
http://www.zyxist.com/en/archives/20/comment-page-1
http://www.krakowpost.com/article/49 This site gives a little more info on what lines would be available for the T2k period.

With the T2k rationing of electricity in Krakow, the electric trams aren't going to be much use but they may keep them for special occassions or emergencies. Imagine the shock on the face of the slave workers about to stage a riot when a tram turns up and disgorges dozens of militia troopers - or the look on the Player's faces when their plans go awry because they didn't believe the militia could get that many troops there that quickly!
Other towns that date from the earlier 1900s or earlier have tram systems as well. Lodz has one of the longest systems in Poland that goes from Lodz to a small town nearby. Tram rails in some towns might be ripped up for rebuilding though I suppose. I reckon most trams could be put back into use by the locals by converting them to horse-drawn versions so ripping up the rails might be a last resort in some places.

17. Storks are quite common in northern Poland with many of them nesting in the country villages right down into central Poland. There's also a large breed of hare and also small deer to be found in the countryside. The hares can be found right up next to some of the towns particularly where some people have planted veggie gardens on the outskirts of town.

Oh and also, there's a stack of castle ruins in southern Poland. There's a line of hills that stretches from the Czech border up to Krakow and further and medieval times they built castles on the best hilltops to control the region. I've been to a quite a few now and they bigger ones would serve well as a base for military forces (good field of view, thick walls, deep cellars etc. etc.) while some of the smaller ones would be easy for bandits to hide in (particularly as some of the hills are surrounded by forests).

I'm still trying to find one of the other emails but should post it soon-ish
Old 10-18-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
I hate to go there, but I think rape would be unfortunately common in Poland c.2000. I know that Poland is traditionally very Catholic, but I wonder if abortion would be more common c.2000. With limited proper medical care available, abortions would likely cause quite a lot of patient (i.e. mother) deaths.

Either way, I reckon that there would be a lot of single mothers in Poland, c.2000.
A lack of effective contraception, the strong Catholic faith, the high rates of rape, all would contribute to high pregnancy rates among young women in T2K Poland. But I strongly suspect miscarriages would be pretty common too, for all sorts of reasons (chemical strikes, chemical spills, bad drinking water, various environmental contaminants, disease, malnourishment, little or no pre-natal care). And of those pregnancies that do reach full term there'd be high rates of birth defects.

Being a woman in T2K Poland would suck.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 AM
GM for hire

Quote:
I'm not convinced there'd be significantly more women as a percentage of the total ...... At most we might see something like a 5% increase in the ratio of women to men, but this will vary wildly depending on the local conditions and history.
Agreed. I wasn't thinking of anything more outrageous than that. As with all things in the 'unknowable' T2K world, I think we sometimes just have to take our best guess, and try to make it believable.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
You mean urban dwellers, right?
I was mainly but I think that a lot of rural dwellers (prior to the War) would have had their own vegetable gardens as well, even if they were farmers by trade, as the produce they grew would be cheaper than buying produce from elsewhere. My understanding is that (prior to the War) someone might, for example, run a dairy farm but also have their own vegetable garden to save money. I’m fairly sure that in the Soviet era rural dwellers ate considerably better than urban dwellers, which is the reverse of many Western countries.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the long post, SSC, that was very enlightening!

re: point 5: those lightly forested spots might be chopped down pretty quickly in 2000, both for firewood and expanding growing land-- assuming there are enough people to work it, and enough mouths to be fed.

15. I think the caves under the Wawel are mentioned in Free City. I had read of the dragon elsewhere. Someone (writing for a Dresden Files game) passed on a tale that Krakow is one of the very few cities that supposedly has no ghosts. Dunno what that means, but it's cool to me.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:40 PM

Would the forests really be cut down to be turned into farmland? As the population decreases (VERY rapidly in most cases) available growing land will become free. Cutting down trees might yield firewood in a year or so (green wood doesn't burn too well), but you've still got the stumps to deal with. There's also the established infrastructure for the fields and gardens such as irrigation channels, pipes and so forth.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-18-2011, 09:30 PM

SSC, thanks for posting all that material. Great stuff.

I've read many times that in the years before the fall of the USSR, 50% of the food was coming from 3% of the land. That 3% essentially was made up of garden plots that Gorbachev was wise enough to decriminalize.

One of the advantages the Huachuca command derives from co-opting the former Pact troops, North Koreans, and Iraqis is the experience all of these people have with intensive gardening, farming in dry climates, or both. Dozens of former EPW enter the Samadi (SAMAD adjective) agricultural system and teach the Americans a lot of do's and don'ts. By the same token, a lot of Mexicans know something about growing corn and beans in dry climates or marginal land. Again, Huachuca derives very tangible benefits from putting Mexican refugees into labor battalions instead of liquidating them when the war breaks out. Mexicans and former EPW climb to prominent positions in the Samadi agricultural hierarchy within a year or two.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:06 AM
Registered Registrant

Default More info from Poland

Some of this is covered in his first email so bear with me

Email two

Fruit seems to be mostly peaches, apples, pears, plums, cherries, strawberries and I think grapes as well. I've seen apple trees growing wild plus don't forget the mushrooms and wild berries which are a seasonal favourite.
They don't seem to have any 'greens' such as peas, green beans or broccoli. A lot of the meals are heavy in carbohydrates and there doesn't seem to have been a lot of vegetable imports until recently (packets of frozen veggies are the most common way to get anything like cauliflower, broccoli and peas and so on). Corn is available but it's known as maize. Most vegetables are boiled. They also make good use of noodles.

There are a number of dried meat products like salami, dry sausage etc. To be harsh, a lot of Polish cheeses are bland and they (and dried meats for that matter) taste so similar to each other you can be forgiven for thinking they are exactly the same. There might be plenty of them on display at the supermarket but I couldn't tell the difference between them by taste.

The Poles are not big on spicey foods and things like chilli are only just coming into their diets but only the really mild types. They have local "hot sauces" which are nothing more than pepper or paprika based and not very hot at all. The idea of chilli dishes like the Yanks have would scare the living daylights out of the Poles and you can bet it'll be a long time before a Brit can find a decent hot curry here!

They have a local variety of pizza which is nothing more than a thick bread-type base with sauce, cheese and some meat. You want anything else it's an extra and naturally costs extra but they do make them in a really big sizes - about half a metre across was the largest I saw!
When you're not used to it, the meat stew called 'bigos' goes through you within hours. It's typically made with pork, bacon, cabbage and sauerkraut. I needed to visit the toilet about three times in the one day after my first sample of it and still found it good for "creating some movement down south" even after having eaten it a few times - a real shame because it's really tasty!

The roadsigns are all pretty good, equal to anything in the West, but that's probably a direct result of their entry into the EU and the increase in both tourism from Germany and the number of cars now in private ownership. Pity most of the roads are utter crap! During the early 1990s the streetsigns would have been decent but there would have been a number of roads with no signs posted for them as they passed or lead to either Soviet or Polish military bases.

You still see a hell of a lot of people in the smaller towns and villages riding bicycles, a hang-over from the decades without private car ownership.
Although not directly confirmed, I get the impression that some villages didn't have signs simply because most people would have lived, married and died within their hometown. If you never travel farther than the next village you don't bother with street signs!
Even today most Poles marry their childhood or university sweetheart and stay in the town and while there is a movement of younger people to the larger towns, it's only been happening in a big way since the fall of communism.

In the larger towns and the cities it's different as they tend to have street signs for all the primary and secondary roads. However... some of the signs are on buildings and if you don't look everywhere you can easily miss them. If you're lucky the sign is on a building that's on a street corner. If you're unlucky then you have to examine individual buildings to find their street address. Often this is just a simple plaque about 6-10 cm long with the house number and street name.

The Soviet era apartment blocks are the worst, there might be eight of them with the same area address but they aren't necessarily next to each other. For example, the place that I'm in has 8 blocks but one of them is some distance away and the number sequence is screwed up. It kind of goes, Block 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 6, 8, 4 (block 4 being the furthest away). Don't ask why, even the locals don't know! Finding out what block is what requires you to go to the front door and read the 6cm wide plate above the door - even some of the postal workers get confused apparently - and there's no certainty the plate will be there!
Many of these apartment blocks were made of concrete and left in their natural concrete finish. I can imagine that it's incredibly depressing to be surrounded by walls and walls of grey concrete day after day. They're painting them now with vibrant colours but sometimes it's too much colour and is jarring to the eye.

Beer, locals will drink it warm from the shop shelf and they'll often buy just one can and drink it once they've reached home, then they'll go back and buy another single can the day after. The Polish for beer is "piwo" pronounced pi-vo. Brands include Okocim, Żywiec, Warka, Lech, Carlsberg, Kasztelan and Tyskie. Those last two were my favourites, specifically Kasztelan (the 'sz' is pronounced like our 'sh'.)

Email three

Cigarette brands I haven't paid much attention to being a non-smoker but there are a lot of import brands now. You can buy tobacco products almost anywhere and Poland grows a decent amount of tobacco and I believe most of it is for their own use. Brands include Caro, Fajrant, Jan III Sobieski, Iris, Mocne, Fox, Viva, Mars and Carmen but I couldn't tell you if any of those are modern brands although I suspect that most have been around for at least a few decades. The Poles enjoy smoking and just as many women in the towns and cities do it as the men although I didn't notice it much amongst women in the villages.

Many Polish men still believe that long hair is for women - if it's growing past your neck then you're obviously not a proper man. This is changing now with more Western European tourists and US & British movies coming into the country but it'll take a while.

You buy bus and tram tickets from little kiosks that sell magazines, cigarettes, some drinks and the like. They're scattered all over the place and are typically staffed by older women who give you the distinct impression that you are being a burden by buying something! You could buy a ticket from the bus/tram driver if you don't mind putting up with his indignant protests of how much of an imposition it all is. And nobody reads books/magazines while on the bus or tram.

Another thing, you never say thank you after you've bought something, doesn't matter what it is. You say thank you after the seller has given you any change you're owed. If you don't do it in this order, they assume you are giving them the change as a tip.

Polish cemeteries can be a bit weird at night. Many Poles will pay a regular visit to relatives graves on the weekends and leave flowers or votive candles on the graves. Sellers set up tables to flog off bunches of flowers, vases, candles, candle holders and religious statues. At night time, many of the candles are still burning and because there's not much in the way of streetlights around the graveyards in many towns, all you see is a collection of flickering lights in the distance. Particularly effective for spooking you in some places as the cemeteries are sometimes surrounded on two or three sides by light forest.

Interestingly, you can find certain old buildings in various towns (typically in the northern half of the country) that have discrete Masonic symbols in their facades. I never saw many of them and for all I know they may have been Masons Halls. I believe the Masons had some representation in Poland from before WW1.
Still plenty of castle ruins too, a good number of them having belonged to the Teutonic Order especially Malbork Castle (which is bloody huge and still in damned good condition - anyone controlling it in a T2k setting would control the river and they'd have to be bombed out of it).

I think I have some more info in some other emails but I'll have to trawl back through them - a job for another night.