RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Avgas

DeaconR 10-09-2005, 03:55 AM I wondered if anyone could point me to anything in the forum or anything they know about how viable the production of avgas really is. Does it take away from resources better used on other vital things?

ReHerakhte 10-10-2005, 05:35 AM Deacon, take a look at the following, but in brief, avgas has a much higher octane and a higher purity (because you don't want your motor cutting out at 70 000 feet!)

http://www.airbp.com/airbp/public/fuels/premium.html This is probably the best (relatively) short explanantion of why avgas differs from motor vehicle gasoline (called mogas in the article).

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/187232-1.html This is a more indepth discussion that mentions that low compression aero engines can safely run on mogas (because low end avgas is pretty much the same as 1980s era leaded gasoline).

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Kevin

DeaconR 10-11-2005, 12:46 PM Thank you very much for posting this stuff. It is quite in depth and very much what I needed!

ReHerakhte 10-12-2005, 02:41 AM Deacon, you're most welcome. My workplace is across the road from the local airport (both domestic and international traffic) so I have a half-hearted interest in those sorts of things when I am not simply gazing at the planes!

Cheers,

Kevin

Last edited by kato13; 02-06-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Tags
fuel, oil