RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 03-11-2016, 08:13 PM

Default Gear: what happens when game and RL differ?

I am curious how people handle things when the game rules list one set of specs and the RL gear is different. Here are some examples.

AN/PPS-5 is listed as 6.35kg. The actual AN/PPS-5 weighs 56.8kg with the magnetron tube. The solid state version trims down to 31.8kg. Also the operation indicates that it can detect aircraft. That is true, but limited to low flying and generally rotary wing aircraft. The rules also do not list that line of sight is required and that scanning is limited to a 90° arc. The omissions might be oversight, but the clear differences are staggering.

AN/PAS-7 is listed as having 4.5x magnification. The real specs are 2X magnification. In this case it may not affect things, since you might still be able to resolve a man-sized target at 400m. Though with eyepiece only having 48 pixels vertically, I am not sure.

So how do these discrepancies get handled in your game, or do you just let the rules stand?
Old 03-12-2016, 09:02 AM
Internet Intellectual

I update the stats to the real world stats.... I give the author credit that finding correct information is difficult or impossible due to security restrictions.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:51 AM

If it is an issue of an incorrect number (like the masses and magnifications you noted) I go with the real number. As to the difference between the reality and the game abstraction (like the FOV and aircraft detection) I usually let those go simply because that is not what I want my games to be about.

And ArmySGT. is dead right, getting the real numbers can be all but impossible, can't blame authors for going with a best guess sometimes.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:54 AM

Is the difference in description important to the players? If not, just leave the description in the rulebook.

If it is important, then the PD should make a ruling in accordance with the 3 rules of gaming.

Rule Zero: The PD task is to make the game fun for everybody.

Rule One: The PD is always right.

Rule Two: If the rulebook (or reality) seems to contradict the PD, see Rule One.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
Is the difference in description important to the players? If not, just leave the description in the rulebook.

If it is important, then the PD should make a ruling in accordance with the 3 rules of gaming.

Rule Zero: The PD task is to make the game fun for everybody.

Rule One: The PD is always right.

Rule Two: If the rulebook (or reality) seems to contradict the PD, see Rule One.
Rule Zero - Zero

IT IS A GAME!!!! Relax. Have fun.

My $0.02

Mike
Old 03-18-2016, 01:08 AM

Thanks for the replies. I do want to acknowledge those who say it is just a game and things like the AN/PPS-5 is just radar and all radar is pretty much the same except for range and portability. I get that and know that's good enough for many groups. I have player that are well read and love looking up specs. That is why I tend to nitpick the differences. The end result is just to enjoy the game, I do agree.

That being said and for those with players more in my camp, I think the book has the wrong radar listed as the AN/PPS-5. The range is way too short and the unit is way too light. The weight is right in line for an AN/PPS-4, though that only give range and does not give bearing information as it is a hand held radar unit. The illustration looks more like an AN/PPS-6 or AN/PPS-15. Add to that the detection range calculation based on MASS given in the description text and you are in the sweet spot for both of these units. The weight of the AN/PPS-6 and AN/PPS-15 is 15.9kg and 12kg respectively.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:12 AM

What have your players used the PPS-5 for in the game? I never really found a good use for it as a Recon team, in fact never found a use for it that much at all.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:08 AM

There was one encounter where they were in a defensive position at a small community and used it to watch for activity from one of the roads leading in. One operator and they were able to get notification of a small group of the raiders trying to sneak in on them.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke11 View Post
What have your players used the PPS-5 for in the game? I never really found a good use for it as a Recon team, in fact never found a use for it that much at all.
Got to agree, radar......we don't need no stinking radar!!!

Can't think of a single game when the radar was present that the players even bothered to unpack it. So why worry about it?

My buck fifty....
Old 03-18-2016, 09:33 AM
Internet Intellectual

Use the radar for suspense and drama like the ranging units in "Aliens".

Ping.

Ping.

Ping, ping, ping.

Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping Ping, ping, ping

arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh
Old 03-18-2016, 10:58 AM

The problem is, of course, is getting them to set up the radar...besides, it's more fun to have the rad detector go off...along with that strange blue glow on the horizon
Old 03-18-2016, 11:01 AM

Not a big problem for me. SIGINT and SIGSEC are very commonly heard around the table.