RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 07-20-2015, 09:53 AM

Default What books would be good inspiration for a Morrow Project game?

I'm sure there's a list on here for this, but if not ... what books would be good to read to inspire someone to come up with good adventure or campaigns? I don't mean end of the world stuff, but rebuilding and rediscovering lost tech. I know of the Postman already, but I'm sure there are better books out there that is not so dark or so 'life is over time to check out' vibes to it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:42 PM
Internet Intellectual

Lucifer's Hammer
Wolf and Iron
Alas Babylon
The Stand
Tunnel in the Sky
Farnham's Freehold
Last of the Breed
Old 07-21-2015, 04:33 PM

The Deathlands series.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:50 AM

The Guardians by Richard Austin.

it's said that the Morrow project actually inspired the series and it would be a good source for a Mars or a Snake eater team.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:48 PM

Hiero's Journey and the Unforsaken Hiero
The Nantucket books Island in the Stream of Time and such
Old 10-02-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
The Guardians by Richard Austin.

it's said that the Morrow project actually inspired the series and it would be a good source for a Mars or a Snake eater team.
On the Kick Starter project forum some one posted that they had actually been in contact with Richard Austin and that the books were actually based on scenarios he ran and how his players acted.

I remember reading the first three (still got them some where) and really enjoying them.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:30 AM

Don't forget reference books like The Way Things Work. Backwoods Magazine, Foxfire series.
A couple of the old Horseclans books have the immortal Milo Morai telling of the War and the following decades.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:04 PM

the Remaining series by DJ Molles. yes its zombies(kinda) but it's about a snake eater who's mission is to rebuild a centralized national government post collapse y connecting various groups of survivors. very Morrow.
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

I very much prefer the Classic TMP Cold War setting, but it's fun to speculate on other post-holocaust settings. The novel "Logan's World", the sequel to the novel "Logan's Run" would be very interesting.

My wife: "If it's a boy, can we name him 'Logan'?"

Me: "Sure, only if his middle name is 'Five'!"

My wife: "?"

Logan's World was very much a post-apocalypse novel set a decade after civilisation on Earth (which was much more extensive in the novel than in the movie) was completely destroyed by the destruction of the Thinker supercomputer by Ballard. People now scrape a living in the wilderness (like the "Forest People") or run in gangs that prowl in the massive abandoned city sprawls ("LA Complex", NY Complex", etc.). There are a few remnants of high technology, such as a black market run out of a small part of the self-sustaining "Green Giants" twin arcology in New York. Transportation technology includes "Devil Sticks" (jet bikes), paravanes (some kind of ducted-fan transport) and hovercars. I don't recall the power sources, probably solar. Aside from the Forest People, black marketeers and the Devil-Stick riding gang called the Gypsies, Logan also runs into the remnants of the fearsome DS (Deep Sleep) organisation, the Sandmen. Weapons include the Flamer, a kind of laser, and of course the multi-functional Gun of the Sandman (settings selected by rotating the cylinder included Flamer, Ripper, Tangler and of course the fearsome Homer).

It's been a long time since I read this book but I remember scenes like Logan sneaking into the city to find drugs to heal Jaq, his son by Jessica, and having to slide down the long-dead burn chute at Carousel to elude pursuit by the gangs, finding the medicine in a Creche filled with crib pods with tiny skeletons. The dead Maze system. A small family lives on the remains of the partially-destroyed Golden Gate bridge. In the novel Logan's Run, Steel City (Pittsburgh, a completely automated manufacturing centre run by robots), and some abandoned underwater city is mentioned, along with the abandoned rocket port at Cape Steinbeck (these are called the "dark places").

Although you could set a game earlier, with a team waking up in the radioactive ruins of Washington DC (another "dark place", nuked during the "Little War" that instituted the "death by 21" society) during or just after the events of Logan's Run, there is still a functioning society at that point.

Tony

Last edited by helbent4; 04-24-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:17 PM

The Sword of the Spirits
Old 05-15-2016, 01:02 AM

The Last Centurian by John Ringo could make for an interesting backstory. a plague and a minor ice age hit close enough together to wipe out some countries and cripple others. very strong conservative leaning in the way its written.
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:46 AM

dapprman:
I have seven out of the 16 books in that series.

Bobcat: Are you Another John Ringo Fan?
Old 05-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Internet Intellectual

Last of the Dog Team by William W. Johnstone

The last member of a secret government unit called the Dog Team, a clandestine squad of elite soldiers, Terry Kovak finds himself alone, forced to draw on all his special skills as he wages a one-man war against betrayal and injustice.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:03 AM

I would have though that "the Ashes" series would be a better choice for William W. Johnstone's literature. Alas he got sick and died then whoever is continuing his work burned the series to the ground and is spewing out westerns under his name.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:20 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
I would have though that "the Ashes" series would be a better choice for William W. Johnstone's literature. Alas he got sick and died then whoever is continuing his work burned the series to the ground and is spewing out westerns under his name.
I never read the "Ashes" series...... I was turned off by on survivalist kooks on forums spouting "Tri-States" nonsense.