RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 PM
... Fistful of Polyhedral Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
Resistweave is a mystery to me. That is probably one of the reasons I kinda bailed on it. I do include something similar as a spall liner on vehicles to up armor lightly armored vehicles, as anything as resistant and flexible as described would only protect against penetration not against impact. That is why I go with existing bulk items, Fritz helmet and dragonskin vests, but with material technology advances (Spider silk).

My thoughts on spider silk is that Morrow researchers were able to synthesize the required proteins from genetically altered bacterium. Kinda goes into the Technological voodoo common in morrow equipment descriptions.

Don't be afraid of going off topic if any OT posts get traction I can split them off into new threads.
No 'voodoo' involved.
The 'goat' thing I mentioned is an actually thought to GenEng goat milk glands to produce spider silk proteins
was wondering if you'd seen anything else on it.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 PM

My God !! First the sheep, now the goats !! Is nothing sacred to these people. Just kidding, would you mind elaborating Shotgun
Old 07-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
No 'voodoo' involved.
The 'goat' thing I mentioned is an actually thought to GenEng goat milk glands to produce spider silk proteins
was wondering if you'd seen anything else on it.
Yeah I knew about the goat milk protein, but bacterium can produce the proteins in larger volumes more cheaply if they can ever get the engineering right.

I had actually never researched it, but I assumed someone was working on it. And I was right
http://www.physorg.com/news122822094.html
Old 07-27-2009, 10:41 AM

Very interesting article, Kato.
That type of science is what I would hope the "white mice" of the MP were working on back in the 80s. Do you have an idea of how old that particular type of research might be ?
That is to say, could this explain a lot of the "wet suit" style body armor that frequents the gear lists of RPG rule books ?
Here's one thing that I will never understand: armor that is skin tight may stop a bullet from penetrating but without additional external armor of a kinetic energy dispersing type the trauma would still kill or injure the wearer.
I think that is an outright denial of the bulk of any armor.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:03 PM
... Fistful of Polyhedral Dice

Default FUnctional Body Armour Theory

I'm going to lay down some licks, and -then- I'm going to spawn a thread.

The Thread, when it happens will be the acronym of this post, so follow along and jump on...

The 'look' of uniform/armour, has been well discussed here, I'm not going to go there, as sartorial perfection, projection of 'image' and all the rest is not my concern. {Here or in FUBAT thread}

I'm ok with 'Resistweave' in my Game. Given the nature of lethality in TMP, I'm perfectly -fine- with a everyday garment that everyone wears that is tougher than a 'concealable' standard BPV, -also- sheds blades and claws better than 10th C. chain-mail, and can be washed in a stream.
Compared to -safe as houses- 'cold' fusion generators that can run a small hamlet for 50 years and can be carried by one person, or shoulder fired laser bazookas, magical bullet proof jammies are a cake-walk.
The idea of layers of armour, not being allowed to, etc is an artefact of system, to prevent munchkins from getting over on sloppy GM/MD/ST's {whatever you call the dude with the screen and the dice and the ability to say "Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies"} and be able to wade into combat with the aplomb of someone who knows they are already cast in the sequel.
Layered armour is -how- armour WORKS.
NO ONE ever, any where ever wear 'JUST a Chain-mail Vest'.
The friggin' Scythians wore loose silk shirts UNDER their Armour and Clothes to -help pull out- NOT stop, arrows they KNEW would get through.
Human bodies ALL work the same way, more or less, weapons are weapons and do damage in predictable ways, and there is a practical limit to the size and bulk of what you -can- wear, period. Don't believe me, ok fine. Then please don't join the other thread. That said, I intend to discuss a couple of systems I have come up with in various games over 30 years of tabletop RPGing that max out what you can deal with and still be an effective combatant, based on personal experience with wearing armor in the Real World in -hot- weather and cold, while trying to beat the tar out of other guys, handling real guns and loads in the field, in and out of the military, and keeping abreast of the 'technical clothing' developments in the outdoor sales fields of retail, because I feed my family by being able to -sell stuff- and if I can't tell a semi-attentive customer why they should spend that -extra- $250 bucks on this jacket instead of a cheap-ass rain jacket, I don't get to buy one for -myself- to use when pay-day comes around.
That said, bona-fides and intent stated, new thread commences tonight.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to clivegh
Default IBA and the basic uniform

For my campaign, The players all have the Basic Uniform (AC7) plus they and commonly due wear the IBA with Plates. Yes Its Heavy (About 20pds), But It will stop an AK-47 Round at close Range. When Layered with the MP uniform its a lot of protection and yes the players have taken a burst from a M60 at 8 meters and lived. IT broke a rib, stunned the player, Broke the IBA ceramic chest plate, and made a mess of his uniform, but he lived.

I always thought if the MP trained and froze teams, they can afford $2000 body Armour.

The Biggest issues for the teams have been the weight. Its a killer when its hot and there carrying the 80 pds of the Basic Load, but considering a Crossbow Bolt is EF12, the teams put up with it.

Also The Hit chart means players are always getting hit in the legs and arms so the IBA does nothing for the players. The AC7 Basic Uniform helps but does not stop a Bow (EF10 to 14).

I use modern (2010) Us military uniforms made from MP Resistoweave. The Team is in the High Desert so they are all in the desert Tan. IT just makes sense to have teams look like modern military as local government would much more likely work with them if they act like US military forces.

Considering they are equipped like us soldiers, the might as well look like them with MP Badges.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivegh View Post
For my campaign, The players all have the Basic Uniform (AC7) plus they and commonly due wear the IBA with Plates. Yes Its Heavy (About 20pds), But It will stop an AK-47 Round at close Range. When Layered with the MP uniform its a lot of protection and yes the players have taken a burst from a M60 at 8 meters and lived. IT broke a rib, stunned the player, Broke the IBA ceramic chest plate, and made a mess of his uniform, but he lived.

I always thought if the MP trained and froze teams, they can afford $2000 body Armour.

The Biggest issues for the teams have been the weight. Its a killer when its hot and there carrying the 80 pds of the Basic Load, but considering a Crossbow Bolt is EF12, the teams put up with it.

Also The Hit chart means players are always getting hit in the legs and arms so the IBA does nothing for the players. The AC7 Basic Uniform helps but does not stop a Bow (EF10 to 14).

I use modern (2010) Us military uniforms made from MP Resistoweave. The Team is in the High Desert so they are all in the desert Tan. IT just makes sense to have teams look like modern military as local government would much more likely work with them if they act like US military forces.

Considering they are equipped like us soldiers, the might as well look like them with MP Badges.
That's what i would want, a layered system for protection. but having the MP look like official soldiers could be seen as a problem as well... Having the MP appear to be a neutral thrid party has it's strengths as well as weaknesses as i've tried to explain...

I went with the base khaki color for the MP uniforms out of an attempt to come up with a color that would fit into almost every environment, with special camo parkas/smocks that would fit specific environments.

my idea for the uniform would have the base 'under armor long johns' under their uniform made of a light weight moisture-wicking resistweave material. then the standard resistweave pants, jacket / tunic (or combat shirt), ankle boots and gartiers / anklets. then you have the bodyarmor composed of a helmet, knee & elbow pads, a vest (with upper arm and groin protection). you would also have an opitional set of shin and forearm guards that could be worn with that.

Level I: basic resistweave field uniform.

Level II: basic resistweave field uniform, knee & elbow pads, full or stripped down vest (upper arm & groin guards) with the helmet as being optional as are a pair of armored combat gloves.

Level III: basic resistweave field uniform, gloves, helmet, vest (upper arm & groin guards, & optional thigh armor), knee & elbow pads, shin & forearm guards. also can inculde an optional ballastic faceplate.

I have ideas of different kinds of helmets that the MP would have... one of the helmets is based on the WWII and West German tanker helmet-beret.

You've got the half helmet like what US Special Forces wear, the full helmet like what our regular troops wear. I have examples that i'll be posting as soon as i can. i've been trying to get the ability to draw each of the different uniforms again.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.

Last edited by natehale1971; 08-18-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

i forgot to add armored gloves as well to the uniform description...

[img]http://dhreno.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/d30.jpg[.img]

http://www.red-diamond-unif.com/imag...rmour%20le.jpg

http://www.98main.com/files/imagecac...1_BLACK_LG.jpg

The under-armor long-johns

The under-armor hood

The optional combat shirt worn under the heavy bodyarmor

http://www.brotherprice.com/ebphoto/...PCU%20set1.jpg
http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/ac...mbat_shirt.gif

http://www.tacticalgeardepot.com/ima...lticam%201.jpg
http://www.tacticalgeardepot.com/ima...Sleeve%201.jpg

http://www.belisimo.com/prodimages/crye/CS1_front.JPG

http://www.apbweb.com/images/stories/Combat-Shirt.jpg
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.

Last edited by natehale1971; 08-18-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:00 AM

Default Uniform

Hi guys,

This is my first-time post, so I hope you like it

IMHO this would be a good uniform for the Morrow Project
http://www.olympiamotosports.com/rec...ransformer.htm
but probably without the reflective piping

Appearance/PR:
It's non-military, but smart. It's also DESIGNED to be armoured (why reinvent the wheel?).

Utility:
Bouncing around in an APC or 4WD vehicle is going to be tough on Morrow Project members, having some padding would be a good thing (especially if they use motorbikes or ATVs)

Camouflage/weather
This isn't camoufllaged or waterproof - but that's what the poncho/shelters are for.