RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 02-04-2021, 07:41 AM
Banned

Default Good Luck You Are On Your Own Issue 4 ideas and requests

As announced on the general fanzine thread the third issue of Good Luck You Are On Your Own has been published at DriveThruRPG - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...o-3?src=newest

Already starting on issue 4 and looking for ideas and content but also what you would like to see from the fanzine for that issue and beyond

If you have content you can send it to me here or my email which I will provide on request - already have some that has come in and looking for more

Looking for any and all articles on Twilight 2000 (all editions), MERC and Twilight 2013 - could be mini-sourcebooks, stories, scenarios, rule expansions, you name it

Or alternates like Matt's Red Dawn story or Mpipes alternate version of the T2K timeline and war

Hope you have enjoyed the first three issues and with your support there will be many more to come
Old 02-06-2021, 01:21 AM

welcome back. Great work so far i hope to contribute.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:46 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

what are you looking for
Old 02-10-2021, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaf_777 View Post
what are you looking for

Looking for articles of all kinds - V1, V2.2, MERC, Twilight 2013 as well as alternate history ideas like Matt's Red Dawn stories or mpipes alternate version of V1

Can be on vehicles, mini-sourcebooks, adventures, NPC's, stories, you name it

If it has photos they need to be ones that arent copyrighted unless its you who has the copyright on the photo - i.e. free use photos
Old 02-17-2021, 08:18 AM
Banned

FYI what we have so far

cawest - will be publishing his excellent East Africa story (or at least part of it) in Issue 4

Myself - The Free Port of Zanzibar - official canon expansion for the East Africa/Kenya Sourcebook

Matt Wiser - another installment of his Red Dawn Story

James Langham - working on an article and another cover photo

Have received other material and will be looking thru it and will keep you posted
Old 02-17-2021, 11:06 AM

Looking forward to it, especially the Zanzibar article
Old 02-17-2021, 02:12 PM

Sadly this is not a content offer, but rather, I wanted to ask...on my livestream I have been talking a lot about Twilight:2000 v1 on my "RPG Antiques Roadshow". Back months ago I covered all of the rare/early D&D items I have, and rather than just mumble about hobby stuff for an hour, I decided I would cover another great game, T2k v1. So I have been working through the classic modules first.

Normally I would eschew "fanon" but as GL:YOYO has gotten the blessing of T2k's creators (NOT FFL, mind you...but the actual creators) in terms of content, particularly Olefin's African sources, I consider it as canon as anything that GDW has published.

Would those creators of GL:YOYO like me to cover each issue on my livestream?
Old 02-17-2021, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketenjagdpanzer View Post
Sadly this is not a content offer, but rather, I wanted to ask...on my livestream I have been talking a lot about Twilight:2000 v1 on my "RPG Antiques Roadshow". Back months ago I covered all of the rare/early D&D items I have, and rather than just mumble about hobby stuff for an hour, I decided I would cover another great game, T2k v1. So I have been working through the classic modules first.

Normally I would eschew "fanon" but as GL:YOYO has gotten the blessing of T2k's creators (NOT FFL, mind you...but the actual creators) in terms of content, particularly Olefin's African sources, I consider it as canon as anything that GDW has published.

Would those creators of GL:YOYO like me to cover each issue on my livestream?

Would love for you to do that - saw that James Langham did a youtube video reviewing the latest issue ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_AABk3yo0) would be totally honored to see you cover it on your livestream.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:59 PM

Okay, I will cover it/them when I finish up the modules, and re-covering/unboxing the 1e rules box (I have a 100% complete example) and The Last Battle (same).

It should make a nice comparison between GL:YOYO and Challenge Magazine, once I get a few issues of that.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:51 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Okay, I will cover it/them when I finish up the modules, and re-covering/unboxing the 1e rules box (I have a 100% complete example) and The Last Battle (same).

It should make a nice comparison between GL:YOYO and Challenge Magazine, once I get a few issues of that.
I don't know if it interest you or not (and you're probably already aware of it!) but FFE has a CD-ROM of all the published issues of Challenge. It cost US$45 but that makes each issue far cheaper than buying them individually.
https://www.farfuture.net/
Old 02-17-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I don't know if it interest you or not (and you're probably already aware of it!) but FFE has a CD-ROM of all the published issues of Challenge. It cost US$45 but that makes each issue far cheaper than buying them individually.
https://www.farfuture.net/
Yes, I have seen those, and that's an amazing price point. I'm lucky that my FLGS has a bunch at really bottom basement prices, tho. I will pick up some meaty ones to cover, but that CD-ROm is a winner.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:02 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Yes, I have seen those, and that's an amazing price point. I'm lucky that my FLGS has a bunch at really bottom basement prices, tho. I will pick up some meaty ones to cover, but that CD-ROm is a winner.
I had a similar experience to you - decades ago, the owner of my favourite game store decided he wanted a library of every game product that ever came into the store.
Unfortunately for him, his library management abilities didn't match his ambitions.
Fortunately for me, that meant that he had multiple copies of various products "in the library" for who knows what reason.

Some of them were issues of Challenge that I had not been able to get and more rational minds at the store put those multiple copies up for sale at really good prices. Due to that, I was able to complete my collection of Challenge because as much as I appreciate having all the T2k, Dark Conspiracy and 2300 AD material with their associated articles from Challenge on CD-ROM, I really like having physical copies of the magazine!
Old 02-18-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I had a similar experience to you - decades ago, the owner of my favourite game store decided he wanted a library of every game product that ever came into the store.
Unfortunately for him, his library management abilities didn't match his ambitions.
Fortunately for me, that meant that he had multiple copies of various products "in the library" for who knows what reason.

Some of them were issues of Challenge that I had not been able to get and more rational minds at the store put those multiple copies up for sale at really good prices. Due to that, I was able to complete my collection of Challenge because as much as I appreciate having all the T2k, Dark Conspiracy and 2300 AD material with their associated articles from Challenge on CD-ROM, I really like having physical copies of the magazine!
Yeah, physical copies are great. Despite very good intentions, scanned items can be pretty hit-and-miss, even so-called professional scans. The best books, IMO, are the 1e AD&D books (Dungeon Masters Guide, Monster Manual, Players Handbook and Unearthed Arcana) because they re-typeset those books for deluxe versions. They did the same re-typesetting for Original D&D so those scanned versions are great, too. But then you look at some of the outlying supplements for 2e and it's like...u wot m8? They look like they were done on a U-Max flat-bed SCSI scanner which can only do 4800dpi, hanging off the back of a WindowsME machine. So having even a tattered physical copy is preferable in those cases. FFE has done a pretty good job with many of their scanned materials, fortunately, but I don't own their compilation CD so I can't speak to the overall quality.

Maybe I'll buy it and do a review on my livestream.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:42 PM
Registered Registrant

I bought the FFE CD-ROMs quite early on, it was within the first few years of their release and the price at the time was around US$30 or thereabouts.
Those first issue CDs could be hit and miss, the ones I have do have decent quality copies of the T2k, Dark Con and 2300 material but some of the scans for the Challenge articles are incomplete.
Now that didn't bother me too much because I had physical copies of Challenge anyway but when it comes to overall usefulness of the scans, in some cases page numbers have been cut off.

This is a significant problem for the T2k 2.2 BYB scan and there's a few others like that from what I remember.
However I also recall that when FFE announced the intention to provide CDs of the game material on PDF, they mentioned that they did not actually own copies of all the material and asked for fans to either donate physical copies or send them scans of the copies.
So, not all of it is done at a professional level.

I can't speak for the quality of PDFs available on the CD-ROMs now or those for sale via DriveThruRPG because I've never needed to purchase any of them. So if anybody has purchased copies recently, please let us know what the quality is like!
Old 02-21-2021, 02:16 PM
Banned

Put this up on the general thread too - love to see more material for the 4th issue

FYI to show how much interest there is in the fanzine - downloads to date of the three issues at drivethrurpg.com

As of Feb 20, 2021

No. 1 Grand Totals: 1890

No. 2 Grand Totals: 1874

No. 3 Grand Totals: 1096 (only out since January 28th)
Old 02-21-2021, 07:43 PM

It wouldn't be terribly long, but would you have any interest in some of the research I've done on the state of nuclear weapons delivery in the early 1960s (for my own Twilight 1964 but applicable to anyone considering doing something in that time frame)?
Old 02-22-2021, 10:12 AM

Something I'd like to see is about how the remaining air forces of the world are coping.

I know it's not canonical - but it is, actually - but there'd still be FWAC flying. And rotary aircraft. If the turbines on the M1 can keep turning on Alcohol, so can the turbines in the Apache, just for example.

But back to fixed-wing...

If fuels other than distilled alcohol are being made (and they are), then AvGas, which is kerosene, mostly (in the case of JP grades used by the US military), is as well. I remember reading where air units that are attritted down by 45% or so are considered "combat ineffective". Assuming this to be true, there still have to be a couple of hundred combat aircraft on the NATO side and an equal if not larger amount on the WarPac side, still capable of combat.

Fuel for aircraft isn't nonexistent, it's merely hard to come by.

Shit, you could do a whole adventure where your team is hard at work helping to secure a port somewhere in S. Europe to try and get avgas being shipped from the M-E across the Med. to the European theater.

You'd have rebuilt/repaired refineries in the US, too, providing fuel for whatever birds were still at home. In the fanciful "Mexico invading the US" scenario, the area where Davis-Monthan AFB is, is part of the occupied territories, but if a team were to secure the area long enough to bring in salvage teams, etc., I know there'd be birds they could fly out of there.

But I also realize that's skating dangerously close to the US coming out OK which is not what many people want out of the game, so.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Default Desert Birds

Quote:
In the fanciful "Mexico invading the US" scenario, the area where Davis-Monthan AFB is, is part of the occupied territories, but if a team were to secure the area long enough to bring in salvage teams, etc., I know there'd be birds they could fly out of there.
To add a wrinkle to that potential adventure, if the aircraft at DM were flyable, the Mexicans would probably be flying them (and if they didn't have the wherewithal to do so, they'd probably destroy them to keep them out of the hands of the hated Yanquis).

I reckon the A-10s and F-16s there would have already been transferred to a foreign combat theater before the Mexican invasion, though. But perhaps there are a few C-130s and utility aircraft still flying there.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 02-22-2021, 11:37 AM

May be more likely to destroy them. I doubt the Mexicans are in any better shape to keep any significant amount of aircraft flying than the Americans are. Then again, if they recover anything, it will most likely be some C-130s.

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 02-22-2021, 12:37 PM
Banned

The Mexicans did fly some aircraft that were at storage at Davis-Monthan and may at the least have been able to get spares they needed to keep their planes going.

And there are refineries in the US going - even the one mentioned in Howling Wilderness as only being at 1 percent of capacity could still turn out a hell of a lot of fuel that planes need - and as pointed out previously what the military was running on was jet fuel not gas or diesel - so the issue of avgas is really only an issue for prop planes not for jets

and the latest issue of the fanzine had information on the aircraft in the Middle East - both canon (planes in East Africa) and a mix of canon and improvement on what there was that was stated in the RDF (Middle East)
Old 02-22-2021, 08:49 PM

Replacement parts are the big issue with aircraft, which also require a LOT of maintenance.
There was a rather indepth discussion some time ago about aircraft on this forum. One of the points that has stuck in my mind against there being many aircraft is that if a tank breaks down (or suffers damage), it stops. If a plane breaks down while in motion, it doesn't stop.....until it hits the ground.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-22-2021, 09:06 PM

AMARC would've been pretty much cleaned out of flyable aircraft by the time of the Mexican invasion (assuming, of course, you want to use that in your timeline).

Old USMC Adage
Old 02-22-2021, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wiser View Post
AMARC would've been pretty much cleaned out of flyable aircraft by the time of the Mexican invasion (assuming, of course, you want to use that in your timeline).
If they were looking for old planes to strip for spare parts they would be looking for either T-33's, F-5's, C-54's, C-130's, C-47's or C-118's. For instance there were 78 T-33's in storage there in 2000 - meaning that the Mexicans could have found ample spare parts for their T-33's they were using in their Air Force.