RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2010, 08:48 PM

Default Red Dawn Remake!

Greetings,

On November 24th, 2010, the remake of the Reagan Era/Cold War classic "Red Dawn" will hit the theatres in time for the holiday season. I gotta tell you troopers, while I reallyl liked the original, I'm not holding out much hope for the remake.
According to what I've been able to dig up, the Chinese launch an airborne assault on Spokane, Washington. The plot synopsis makes it sound a bit more Twilight than Twilight 2000. I dunno. What do the rest of you think?

Out Here,
Frank Frey
Old 03-21-2010, 09:06 PM
The Stat Guy

We had a discussion on this a few months back; the general consensus was No, No, NO! The horror...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 03-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Yeah in general it has not gotten much support here. The Chinese are not the Red Bear of my youth so most likely I will catch it on video at some point.

Previous threads.

Red Dawn 2010 rant!
OT: "Red Dawn" To Be Remade
Old 03-21-2010, 10:03 PM

Chances are (as usual) the trailer will include all the good bits and the rest of the movie (especially the plot) will be one great big steaming pile of bison crap.

Still, it's always possible we'll be surprised and it turns out to be not half bad...

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 03-21-2010, 10:26 PM

The idea of the Chinese invading is beyond silly, although I still love Fortress America. By the way, is there anyone in Northern California who'd be interested in a game? I have a copy with only one or two missing/broken pieces.

Webstral
Old 03-22-2010, 01:57 AM

Default suspension of disbelief

I hope that people here arnt provoked when I say that the premiss for the original Red Dawn wasnt exactly credible either - the USSR wouldnt have a prayer if they tried to invade CONUS.Cuban auxilliaries or not .

As for teh artistic merit of the film itself -well lay just say that opinions vary on the subject.

But I did love the movie when it came out in Norway .And it did color my views for the next decade or so. I still love it - but now for all "the wrong reasons".

As for the Chinese invading the US .

LOL.

But con grano sal and a hefty dose of suspension of disbelief it could be an enjoyable b-movie .A sci fi film or action movie that can claim no reality strings attached.

Definently going to see it at some point .
Old 04-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Gabe The Gun

Thumbs down

I grew up with the original and still watch it from time to time to this day, love it! I dont see any reason to remake the film at all ,other than they want to capitalize on the popularity and make some easy money. As we all know every time they try to remake something they ruin it, or they keep trying to add another sequel and run a good thing right into the fraking ground! I really hope they dont do this with a classic as perfect as Red Dawn as well as perfect cast which they cant replicate. I just dont understand why they would even go there! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Just leave the masterpiece alone for goodness sake people! As for my final answer.............RENTAL!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Administrator

I know I might take some flak for being overly PC but I'm not too thrilled about a flick that, in effect, demonizes an entire ethnic group. There are loads of Chinese-Americans here in the States and there is still a lot of latent and sometimes overt racism here as well. I still have to teach my high school sophomores that Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and other Asian people are not "all the same". Do we really need a movie that makes the Chinese nation the bad guys? I know there are a lot of movies with Chinese gangsters and the like but the PRC Army invading the U.S.? That's a bit different and, IMHO, not very cool.

With the Soviets, it wasn't an ethnic group taking the fall, it was an ideology.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 04-02-2010, 06:13 PM

I'd like to see a Red Dawn version for Down Under. Though still unlikely, an invasion of Australia offers the Chinese a marginally better chance of success than an invasion of the US. If memory serves, private ownership of firearms has taken a body blow. A Red Dawn for Australia might serve as good propaganda for gun ownership and the Reserves.

Webstral
Old 04-03-2010, 01:33 AM

I'm going to go see it and try to keep an open mind, but I'll be surprised if it's any good.
"There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
--General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I know I might take some flak for being overly PC but I'm not too thrilled about a flick that, in effect, demonizes an entire ethnic group. There are loads of Chinese-Americans here in the States and there is still a lot of latent and sometimes overt racism here as well. I still have to teach my high school sophomores that Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and other Asian people are not "all the same". Do we really need a movie that makes the Chinese nation the bad guys? I know there are a lot of movies with Chinese gangsters and the like but the PRC Army invading the U.S.? That's a bit different and, IMHO, not very cool.

With the Soviets, it wasn't an ethnic group taking the fall, it was an ideology.

See I view it the exact opposite way. Like it or not th US has an oftentimes antagonistic relationship with China and their people happen to be of a different race. Conflict with China could easily grow over time, possibly into a new cold war. Not many other countries have that potential. Also democracies rarely start war with other democracies. So if we are limited to non-democracies within Europe, that leaves kinda slim pickings.

Having the Chinese as the enemy also allows more Asian actors to have work. If being PC means Asians are not employed doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose. There appears to be an Asian-American (Ken Choi as "Smith") fighting against the Chinese. To be honest I did not expect this film to be complex enough to even approach that potential storyline, so good for them.

Last edited by kato13; 04-03-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
See I view it the exact opposite way. Like it or not th US has an oftentimes antagonistic relationship with China and their people happen to be of a different race. Conflict with China could easily grow over time, possibly into a new cold war. Not many other countries have that potential. Also democracies rarely start war with other democracies. So if we are limited to non-democracies within Europe, that leaves kinda slim pickings.
I am aware of America's complex historical relationship with China and that they are perhaps our biggest conventional military rival at the moment. Unfortunately, the likelihood of an armed confrontation between China and the U.S. in the next century or so is probably more likely than not. This kind of stuff certainly won't help ease the tension. It certainly won't encourage moderation, diplomacy, and cultural understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
Having the Chinese as the enemy also allows more Asian actors to have work. If being PC means Asians are not employed doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose. There appears to be an Asian-American (Ken Choi as "Smith") fighting against the Chinese. To be honest I did not expect this film to be complex enough to even approach that potential storyline, so good for them.
Seriously? You think the good of employing some Chinese-American actors outweighs the negative message that this film will send to every American ignoramous out there? Not likely, IMO.

I am interested in seeing how they handle a Chinese-American fighting against ethnic Chinese and especially how his other American comrades approach him.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 04-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I am aware of America's complex historical relationship with China and that they are perhaps our biggest conventional military rival at the moment. Unfortunately, the likelihood of an armed confrontation between China and the U.S. in the next century or so is probably more likely than not. This kind of stuff certainly won't help ease the tension. It certainly won't encourage moderation, diplomacy, and cultural understanding.

Seriously? You think the good of employing some Chinese-American actors outweighs the negative message that this film will send to every American ignoramous out there? Not likely, IMO.

I am interested in seeing how they handle a Chinese-American fighting against ethnic Chinese and especially how his other American comrades approach him.
Most films are seen by fewer than 10% of all Americans and this film will undoubtedly be banned in China so I think you are overestimating it's impact. As you admitted conflict with China is the most likely so why not be realistic. So what it comes down to censorship and treating race as more important that it really is IMO.

Maybe it is my upbringing (in the most ethnically diverse zipcode in the US and the fact that over 30% of the couplings in both my near and extended family cross racial lines), but I really do want to move into a world where focusing on race is not even part of the equation. Naivete on my part perhaps, but I still want to move in that direction.

Last edited by kato13; 04-03-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:

I think the original Red Dawn made the Cubans look pretty bad, with the exception of the Cuban colonel Bella who came out of it looking like a belated good guy.