RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I am aware of America's complex historical relationship with China and that they are perhaps our biggest conventional military rival at the moment. Unfortunately, the likelihood of an armed confrontation between China and the U.S. in the next century or so is probably more likely than not. This kind of stuff certainly won't help ease the tension. It certainly won't encourage moderation, diplomacy, and cultural understanding.

Seriously? You think the good of employing some Chinese-American actors outweighs the negative message that this film will send to every American ignoramous out there? Not likely, IMO.

I am interested in seeing how they handle a Chinese-American fighting against ethnic Chinese and especially how his other American comrades approach him.
Most films are seen by fewer than 10% of all Americans and this film will undoubtedly be banned in China so I think you are overestimating it's impact. As you admitted conflict with China is the most likely so why not be realistic. So what it comes down to censorship and treating race as more important that it really is IMO.

Maybe it is my upbringing (in the most ethnically diverse zipcode in the US and the fact that over 30% of the couplings in both my near and extended family cross racial lines), but I really do want to move into a world where focusing on race is not even part of the equation. Naivete on my part perhaps, but I still want to move in that direction.

Last edited by kato13; 04-03-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
Most films are seen by fewer than 10% of all Americans and this film will undoubtedly be banned in China so I think you are overestimating it's impact. As you admitted conflict with China is the most likely so why not be realistic. So what it comes down to censorship and treating race as more important that it really is IMO.
OK, but only .0001% (or less) of Asian-Americans will actually be gainfully employed in this film so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
Maybe it is my upbringing (in the most ethnically diverse zipcode in the US and the fact that over 30% of the couplings in both my near and extended family cross racial lines), but I really do want to move into a world where focusing on race is not even part of the equation. Naivete on my part perhaps, but I still want to move in that direction.
I agree. I wish for the same thing. Unfortunately, I see racism every day in my classes. It's really sad and frustrating for me as a person and as an educator. If only 10% of my students see this film and start (or keep) thinking of the Chinese as bad guys, then the damage will have been done. I'm not saying it'll lead to war or anything, but it's not going to produce anything good. Ignorance, fear, and suspicion don't lead anywhere good. And with Japanese internment in our not-so-distant past, the precedent for knee-jerk, essentially racist responses to crises, perceived or real, I don't think this is anything to sniff at.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 04-03-2010, 02:09 PM

This may kick the thread over into "Locked" because it is too polarizing, but I am less disturbed by the Chinese racial aspect than I am by another racial aspect of the film.

I can't help but notice that the role of the collaborating mayor is played by the actor Michael Beach. His son, is played by Connor Cruise. Both actors are African American.

So, if the film stays loyal to what happened in the first film, this "race change" is going to result in two uncomfortable things.

One: an African American elected official is going to collaborate with a foreign invader impose communism on America by force of arms.

Two: the white characters who play the Wolverines are going to have to shoot the black character for not being a loyal American.

While both of those images are a bit thorny, I have to wonder about whether the use of a black politician as a communist collaborator is at all connected to the current debate over health care reform. Since the film isn't out yet, we don't know how Mayor Jenkins and Daryll Jenkins are going to be treated in the script. My discomfort is only based on what happened in the first film coupled with some of the uglier aspects of the anti-health care reform protests.

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing
Old 04-03-2010, 02:12 PM

And if this is getting too political, I would recommend deleting the political posts rather than locking the thread. I think we should keep a thread about the Red Dawn remake going. I'd rather see my posts deleted than the thread locked.

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing
Old 04-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Administrator

I don't think this thread needs to be locked at least not yet.

From what I have heard the script is close to the original but "quite a bit has been changed". I will admit I can see a potential black Mayor collaborator being exploited by some people for his race in the current political climate. That casting decision is very interesting to me as you are correct in that it potentially invites controversy. There is another black wolverine, Edwin Hodge. So perhaps if the "traitor in the midst" part of the story stays true he is the one who delivers the killing shot (in an effort to mitigate some potential backlash). I will be totally honest that even in the original I was never comfortable with that part of the story.

Given that the screenwriters and director are really unknown entities I honestly don't know what to expect from this film.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
If only 10% of my students see this film and start (or keep) thinking of the Chinese as bad guys, then the damage will have been done.
The Chinese government are bad guys IMO (I still remember Tiananmen). I have a feeling that the average Chinese soldier in the film will be presented with some sympathy just like the fake translating soldier was in the original. Even the Cuban Colonel had some sympathy at the end of the film. There are also Russians in the mix so again I don't know exactly what to expect (maybe they will have Russians commit all the mass killings). I am optimistic given that there is an Asian American freedom fighter in the film. I hope that this film is about being an American not about any particular race.

Last edited by kato13; 04-03-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
OK, but only .0001% (or less) of Asian-Americans will actually be gainfully employed in this film so...
Sorry the math nut in me was bothered by this statistic so I had to double check it. .0001% of 15 million would be 15. Including extras and stuntmen I expect that hundreds were probably employed so lets call it .001%

Oh I was just reading the script history and originally one of the female leads was to be Asian American. However Isabel Lucas was cast for that part (female transformer from Transformers II)

Last edited by kato13; 04-03-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Here is the IMFDB page for the original Red dawn

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Red_Dawn

Brings back good memories.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Some pics

Edit some more here

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_5042c5310100gjxt.html

Interesting from my reading of the translation the Chinese blogger seems proud that China has supplanted Russia
Quote:
In Hollywood's movie, takes frequently Russia the simulated enemy, now this simulated enemy turned China, looked like China indeed is formidable in US's heart.

Last edited by kato13; 04-03-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:11 PM

Based on the handful of shots we have seen of vehicles, it looks like the remake has abandoned the commitment of the original to using the right vehicles for the enemy.

How many of us would have our photos on the wall, I wonder?

Webstral
Old 04-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral View Post
I found an updated version and apparently there are many dangerous American and Canadian Citizens here.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2010, 08:59 PM

Tell them danged Canucks to get themselves on a wall in their own danged country.

Webstral
Old 04-03-2010, 09:26 PM
The Stat Guy

Here's a possibility: The Chinese don't invade with a military army. They simply impound the US due to lack of payment of the loans financing our national debt, and send an army of accountants, bankers, and auditors...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 04-03-2010, 09:33 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Based on the handful of shots we have seen of vehicles, it looks like the remake has abandoned the commitment of the original to using the right vehicles for the enemy.

Webstral
The Chinese do seem to be using primarily Canadian vehicles and HMMWVs -- hey, are the Canadians helping the Chinese in this invasion?!!

As for me being on the wall -- I'd sleep through the war, due to the side-effects of my medication...

Old 04-04-2010, 12:06 AM

Good to see us Australians aren't on the wall. Probably because we're supplying China with all the iron ore and coal they need to make their war machines.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 04-04-2010, 07:39 AM

wow that's some sad looking AFV's
"There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
--General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Registered Registrant

A friend pointed me to the following sites, it seems the remake is using armoured vehicles from a company in Michigan
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/gpv/
http://www.gpv.com/marshall6x6x6.htm
Old 04-04-2010, 10:18 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
A friend pointed me to the following sites, it seems the remake is using armoured vehicles from a company in Michigan
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/gpv/
http://www.gpv.com/marshall6x6x6.htm

Hmmmm...I still think the idea of a Chinese/Canadian conspiracy is worth exploring

Old 04-04-2010, 10:24 PM

Default It's Them Damn Canadians...I Tell Ya!

Dammit, don't confuse the issue with facts! I have a highly placed,secret source that has told me that the Peoples Republic of Far Northern Canuckistan is in Cahoots( IIRC that's just outside of Saskatoon) with the Evil Pan Eurasian Red Commie Empire of Chinese Marxists. That's why they're using CANADIAN equipment. They're come swarming over the border and inflict amenties upon the helpless population. Oh the humanity... Gotta go...time for my meds.

Grand Commander J.B. Claggette
Commander in Chief
The Free Soil Unified Militia of South Ridge Trailer Park
Old 04-05-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Frey View Post
Dammit, don't confuse the issue with facts! I have a highly placed,secret source that has told me that the Peoples Republic of Far Northern Canuckistan is in Cahoots( IIRC that's just outside of Saskatoon) with the Evil Pan Eurasian Red Commie Empire of Chinese Marxists. That's why they're using CANADIAN equipment. They're come swarming over the border and inflict amenties upon the helpless population. Oh the humanity... Gotta go...time for my meds.

Grand Commander J.B. Claggette
Commander in Chief
The Free Soil Unified Militia of South Ridge Trailer Park
LMFAO
"There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
--General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Registered Registrant

Humvees for the Chinese isn't so surprising as they have a licence to manufacture their own version for the military
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Mo...uring_in_China
Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Humvees for the Chinese isn't so surprising as they have a licence to manufacture their own version for the military
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Mo...uring_in_China
Then it would make sense for them to bring some along so that captured American vehicles could be cannibalized for spares.

I still don't think the Chinese have much of a chance, once the Billy Bobs of the nation get mobilized. Provided these boys can be kept in hog snouts, fried chicken necks, and chaw, them Asian Reds don't stand a snowball's chance.

Webstral
Old 04-06-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Here's a possibility: The Chinese don't invade with a military army. They simply impound the US due to lack of payment of the loans financing our national debt, and send an army of accountants, bankers, and auditors...
That is the worse thing that they could do. We wouldn't stand a chance.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 PM

They also could hire a legion of tort lawyers. The Chinese have the money, and that's really all that matters to the law in the end. (Did I say that out loud again?)

Webstral
Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 AM

Why am I reminded of a Star Trek fanfiction where a bunch of Microsoft Lawyers attack a Borg cube and Picard tells Data "Turn off the the main screen Data, I don't want to watch. Not even the Borg deserve that."?

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 PM
[Armchair Commando]

Send a message via MSN to Snake Eyes Send a message via Yahoo to Snake Eyes

I have always tried to not let real-life geopolitics and logistics stand in the way of my Saturday matinee popcorn eating fun. I find I wind up enjoying far more marginally plausible movies that way.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
They also could hire a legion of tort lawyers. The Chinese have the money, and that's really all that matters to the law in the end. (Did I say that out loud again?)

Webstral
Yeah, you did say that out loud, but lucky for you the rich don't care what normal dudes have to say, because our views don't matter. The more I think about this movie, the more I think I will not like it. Man I miss the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact. They were the best thing for this country. You could wake up everyday and know who to hate. A classic good vs. evil. Clash of the Titans. Now days it's such a drag.

Last edited by waiting4something; 04-11-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

The only way I can see Red China come over here like this is if they call our debts and we can't pay and we just roll over. Still, on the other hand, I cannot see that happening, I think we would throw everything at them if all other options look poor, sort of like a scorched Earth in return. Maybe that's how the old Star Trek episode, "The Omega Glory" got started. Seriously, you need to have some switches and relays just clicking correctly, at the right time and sequence for this to happen. Still I'm looking forward to it.

P.S. Maybe they really cannot call on our debts, we owe so much that as the old joke goes, "if Mr. Smith owes the bank $1 million, the bank owns Mr. Smith, but if Mr. Smith owes the bank $100 million then Mr. Smith really owns the bank.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
Yeah, you did say that out loud, but lucky for you the rich don't care what normal dudes have to say, because our views don't matter. The more I think about this movie, the more I think I will not like it. Man I miss the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact. They were the best thing for this country. You could wake up everyday and know who to hate. A classic good vs. evil. Clash of the Titans. Now days it's such a drag.
You too, huh? I have a nostalgia for the Cold War too. Atl east you know which side you were on and you had three basic sides, us, them or neutral. I'm a big fan of the cartoon, "The Tick," and if I was a superhero, my battle cry would be "I miss the 80's!" When I see shows like "Airwolf" and "Greatest American Hero," sometimes I tear goes down my eye and I think of the good, old days.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 PM

"SPOON!"

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem