RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 02-10-2020, 09:27 AM
Banned

Default French nuclear target list?

Has anyone ever managed to put together a French nuclear target list for either of the two versions of the timeline?

The closest I can find is this:

1st edition

Not detailed but hinted at that France was hit but limited to industrial centers and oil refineries only - i.e. France was hit the lightest along with Belgium

2nd edition went into detail and made it sound like France was in much worse shape

Specifically the write up saying Marseilles is the largest undamaged city suggests that Paris got hit for sure - but you wonder if the authors had done their research - i.e. Marseilles is the second biggest city in France - only Paris is bigger - so that really doesnt say anything about places like Toulon or Brest or Lyon

Second edition write up

Despite being neutral, France was subjected to nuclear strikes to deny its port and oil refining facilities to NATO. Damage was generally confined to coastal areas, but casualties were severe. Riots and civil confusion caused by the war and the influx of refugees forced the government to close France's borders, then occupy all territories west of the Rhine. A free-fire zone (commonly called La Zone Morte - the Dead Zone) has been established within 50km (31 miles) east of the Rhine. Officially, the border is closed to non-French citizens, but the guards are generally open to bribes. The border with Spain is closed, but often crossed by smugglers. The Union Corse (Corsican criminal underworld) dominate a thriving black market in the region. The government is increasingly repressive, but life in most areas is tolerable.

Some areas, particularly the mountains, are in open rebellion, and martial law is in effect. The government in the southern areas is corrupt and dominated by the Union Corse. Marseilles is the largest undamaged city in the country, though it is in a bad state compared to its pre-war condition. Some trade between Europe and the eastern Mediterranean passes through the city, which is entirely run by the Union Corse.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:01 PM
Banned

Looking at the likely target list I am surprised at Marseilles coming thru intact but it may just be that the Soviets only hit so many targets in France before the French govt hit back and said either stop or we fully support NATO

Targets high on the list and thus probably hit

The La Mede Refinery in Châteauneuf-les-Martigues along with the Lavera Oil Refinery

The Normandy Refinery in Gonfreville along with the nearby port of Le Havre

The adjoining Refineries of Port Jérôme and Gravenchon that are on the Seine River

Just hitting those targets takes out over half of French refining capability

If the Soviets wanted to show the French they arent kidding around they could hit the Grandpuits Refinery - it supplies all the gas to Paris and the surrounding area and its close enough to Paris that it would shake the French govt

Given that Paris is obviously damaged the question is did the Soviets hit it with a nuke or are we talking about either a conventional attack or widespread rioting that damaged large areas of the city?

Last edited by Olefin; 02-10-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:51 PM

The only semi-solid reference I can recall outside of the background history is the Australian SAS trooper in "What's Polish for G'day?" stating France and Australia were members of a sort of "brotherhood of non-irradiated nations. Of course that information is on a par with rumour, so take it with a grain of salt.

Personally, I believe there was likely at least a few warheads tossed their way, restricted to border areas where it could be claimed they were strays that missed their intended targets.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-10-2020, 06:33 PM
Banned

Looking at the 2nd edition the French got hit pretty good - enough that the French mafia have control of the southern part of the country. Was the Australian story written before or after the 2nd edition came out?
Old 02-11-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Was the Australian story written before or after the 2nd edition came out?
Yes....
It's from Twilight encounters and I believe it was also included in the 2.0 yellow box (only thing I don't have). The chance it was written before is about equal to after. 2.0 was certainly very close to finalisation when the original was published.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-11-2020, 08:40 AM
Banned

Twilight Encounters is version 1 timeline - so that supports the version 1 timeline where the French most likely didn’t get nuked. So that reinforces that in the V2 and V2.2 timeline they definitely got nuked as per the game timeline and description of France. Will see if I can come up with a likely list of targets based on the description from the V2.2 rules. Keep in mind it sounds definitely like a limited attack - ie this isn’t the widespread attack that the US or UK or the Soviets went thru. I suspect the French hit back and told the Soviets it ends or we join the US and the Germans and the Soviets backed down - after all they had already hit what they wanted to hit.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Looking at the 2nd edition the French got hit pretty good - enough that the French mafia have control of the southern part of the country. Was the Australian story written before or after the 2nd edition came out?
And still they manged to take control of Belgium and occupy parts of the Netherlands and West Germany.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:39 AM
Banned

Per the story the Belgians joined freely with the French - have a feeling they didnt want to be out there on a limb all by themselves - and remember that a lot of Belgians have a historic tie to France. And the areas they took over in the Netherlands and Germany pretty much were against formations that had taken serious losses already - i.e. if the Dutch and Germans had pre-war formations and air power there is a good chance the French and Belgians would have taken a very very bloody nose

And considering the size of the French and Belgian formations they had to have taken some good sized losses during the invasion of both areas - none of the French formations in those areas is anywhere near pre-war manpower or equipment