RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 02-13-2020, 01:20 AM
A bad tomato

Default Northern Europe / Scandinavia Sourcebook

Hi

A fellow T2k:er and me have talked about that it would be fun to write up more information about the theater in Northern Europe beyond what is stated already. The reasoning is that what happens in Scandinavia will cause ripples down to Germany, Poland and the Baltics.

So we will start laying out the basics of what happened in the years leading up to the Twilight War, and during the war.

The main focuses will be the Nordic countries, together with Kola peninsula, Karelia region in Soviet Union and potentially Iceland.

If people would like to contribute, they are welcome to do so. Any and all help is always greatly appreciated.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:08 AM
A bad tomato

Various regions and their assumed state, going by the descriptions that I have read and surmised.

Norway: Is divided and ravaged by ongoing war. Southern parts are held by NATO/Norwegian forces led by the norwegian king. There was a failed offensive against Narvik(?) that was beaten back by remaining WP-forces.

Finland: Defended fiercely against both NATO and WP. The finnish Lapland region in the north is likely devastated. The border area against soviet Karelia and Leningrad is likely also damaged. Unknown status on the state of Finland.

Denmark: Likely devastated by conventional means early in the war to slow deployment of NATO forces into the Baltic sea. Copenhagen most likely a heap of rubble. Bridges to Germany likely blown up, either by danes, germans or by soviet means. The state of Denmark is likely nominal in name only. Possibly failed state at the end of the war.

Sweden: Saw heavy fighting in the north due to spill over from Norway and Finland when dealing with NATO, WP and marauder forces. The mining industry in north does not exist at the moment. Southern and middle Sweden is likely swamped by refugees from Norway and Denmark, and possibly Finland and other nations at the Baltic Sea. Wartime coalition government. Stable state at the moment, but in a bad position. Possibly sending limited forces to the Baltic states and Poland to secure influence and resources. Possibly having geopolitical struggle against France in Northern Europe.

Kola and soviet Karelia: Likely under formal control of USSR, but may harbor separatists.

Iceland: No idea. Possibly forgotten over the war, except for the total reduction of Keflavik and strategic harbours.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:45 AM

That summary sounds about right. I'm thinking Iceland has probably suffered a significant population reduction after being cut off from the outside world and the trade goods that's usually required to support people in that climate.
Those left have likely reverted to old practices to survive, the skills and memories of elders proving absolutely vital to a settlements viability.

I wonder how many of the members of the Swedish expeditionary forces call or compare themselves to Vikings?

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-13-2020, 08:04 AM
Banned

"Norway: Is divided and ravaged by ongoing war. Southern parts are held by NATO/Norwegian forces led by the norwegian king. There was a failed offensive against Narvik(?) that was beaten back by remaining WP-forces."

Based on the writeup in Boomer it sounds more like that offensive succeeded
Old 02-13-2020, 08:14 AM
Administrator

I'm pretty sure Going Home mentions that the Danish Jutland division returned home in the autumn of 2000 to perform local security functions. This, to me at least, implies that it wouldn't be a failed state, but one that has recused itself from the continuing conflict to focus on recovery.

I've done a write up regarding Sweden's subtle attempts to gain influence in central Europe through diplomatic, economic, and military means. See Post #25:

https://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=4881
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048

Last edited by Raellus; 02-13-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I'm pretty sure Going Home mentions that the Danish Jutland division returned home in the autumn of 2000 to perform local security functions. This, to me at least, implies that it wouldn't be a failed state, but one that has recused itself from the continuing conflict to focus on recovery.

I've done a couple of write ups regarding Sweden's subtle attempts to gain influence in central Europe through diplomatic, economic, and military means. I'll share it when I get home.
You are correct about the Jutland Division

Jutland Danish MD (2,000 men): The bulk of this unit has withdrawn from Germany, and repatriated itself to Denmark, either by land or by crossing the straits to the Danish islands of Lolland and Falster, Some personnel have chosen to remain in Germany, and have attached themselves to various military and quasi-military groups.

There is also the Slesvig Regimental Combat Team of 600 men that are in southern Denmark as well - with 600 men and been there since Dec 1997 on internal security duties
Old 02-14-2020, 02:24 AM
A bad tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
"Norway: Is divided and ravaged by ongoing war. Southern parts are held by NATO/Norwegian forces led by the norwegian king. There was a failed offensive against Narvik(?) that was beaten back by remaining WP-forces."

Based on the writeup in Boomer it sounds more like that offensive succeeded
Ah! Thank for the note, I'll read up exactly what it says there. But even with Narvik back in the hands of norwegians, Norway are still in a bad spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post

I've done a write up regarding Sweden's subtle attempts to gain influence in central Europe through diplomatic, economic, and military means. See Post #25:

https://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=4881
Thank you! Still points towards that Denmark, if not failed, it doesn't feel well. Mildly speaking. Would you agree on the notion that Denmark is likely reduced early in the war by conventional means to deny NATO easy access into the Baltics?

And your post about the swedes operating in northern Poland is what started this ball rolling =)
Old 02-19-2020, 12:56 AM
A bad tomato

Sapmi: The northern natives.

The Twilight War have caused untold pain, misery and destruction. Yet for a few, it has created opportunities. The Sapmi people have for the region unique adaptability and experience with the lands of the northern reaches of Europe. This have allowed them to expand where others had to withdraw and contract. However, they are still relatively weak and feeble compared to the might of the nations where in they technically still reside. However, those nations are pre-occupied elsewhere, leaving breathing room for them to use their situation. At the moment they are busy playing the powers against each others. Giving scouting aid to Swedish military forces against one group of marauders, while at the same time dropping intel to other maruader remnants that the swedish military cantonments are weakened.

Their ultimate goal is to broker for more power in the north, with the hope to finally have a nation of their own, made from the far reaches of Sweden, Norway, Finland and Soviet Union.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:01 PM

Not sure, but has anyone added this?

Sweden
Old 04-24-2020, 01:55 AM
A bad tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
In Lapland area most marauder bands should be quite small. Ten-man crew can easily take over a farm. Larger groups can take over small village. After all you need shelter and food during winter. Population density is very low in Lapland and in 2000-2001 marauder bands larger than 100 men are thing of past.

Former military units can carve small semi-feudal states that control 10 000 – 20 000 square kilometer areas. In Finland most probable place is Sodankyla, its also home of Jaeger Brigade. Probably area can support 500-1000 men unit
Hmm... yea, I know Lapland is harsh. Hence my idea of letting the Sapmi gain effective power in those areas, due to their experience of living of the land. But I underestimated the sheer harshness it seems.

Hmm.. then Sodankyla might be a source of power if nothing else. Haparande should be able to survive due to its fisheries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfield View Post
Not sure, but has anyone added this?

Sweden
Missed that version, always good with inspiration. But it does clash with the established lore at some places, as talks being held in Oslo that was strategically nuked as per Boomer.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:06 AM

Old FDF training video Taistelukentta (Battlefield Finland).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB9ny9SR9Qs

Film was made in 1998. Nice material, if you need some ideas about FDF tactics and equipment in “Twilight era”. All the troops in film were first line troop, only 1/5 of the ground forces had modern gear like kevlar helmets and vests.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:19 AM
A bad tomato

With the files and information available from Antennas new website I have gotten some more inspiration and important tidbits. I have done more work with the histories of each country and region. Below is the current version of the history of the Twilight War in Denmark. Enjoy and please come with critique if I have missed anything.

A Brief History of Twilight War in Denmark
Denmark saw little actual fighting on its own soil except for localized naval raids and spetsnaz raids. This however did not spare Denmark from seeing heavy destruction. Denmark was early targeted by efforts of PACT-forces to deny danish shipping lanes and harbors to NATO to hinder NATO naval units access to the Baltic sea. NATO on its side used extensive mining of the straits to deny PACT naval forces escape the Baltic sea and conduct naval raids in southern Norway and elsewhere. As the war progressed danish harbors on the western coast saw more and more shipping diverted to it as the eastern half of Denmark became all but inaccessible. However this shifted PACT tactics to target key infrastructure hubs as highway bridges, rolling stocks, railroad junctions and harbor installations. During this time the danish population began to flee cities and into the countryside. The remaining military forces that had not been deployed to Germany did what it could to assist local civilian authorities and police to maintain order and stability. When the war turned nuclear in 1997 things turned quickly to the worse for the danish people and government. Most major cities were engulfed in nuclear fire, and virtually all strategic targets as major airports, harbors, logistical and industrial centers received the same treatment. The strategically placed island of Bornholm was notably heavily damaged by tactical nuclear weaponry, leading to the total evacuation of surviving military personnel and civilians to Denmark.

In the aftermath of the nuclear exchange and the reduction of population, production and military personnel the danes reorganized things to the best of their ability. Large numbers of danish civilians fled and were evacuated to Sweden to overcrowded refugee camps. The largest one is placed outside of Kristianstad, Scania in the southern area of Sweden numbering in over ten thousand displaced danes. The danes that stayed in Denmark saw near total societal collapse in vast areas of Denmark. As the royal family survived the nuclear exchange while relocated to Helsingör Castle in northern Zealand island, they formed the nucleus of the interim government of Denmark. Surviving elements of the civilian government attached it to the structure of the royal family, resulting in a modicum of societal stability of the destroyed nation. However, the effective control of that government is mainly restricted to the northern parts of Zealand, which also was the focus of relocation efforts.

Elsewhere Denmark was fertil, but abandoned or destroyed. With vast areas singed by nuclear hellfire and the countryside overburdened by civilians fleeing cities, order and stability soon collapsed. Many turned to banditry in order for them and their families to survive. What remained was terrorized territory with few and sparse lights of stability. Slavery, both voluntary and involuntary soon returned due to sheer nessesity of farming, production and survival.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:32 AM

I noticed in the previews of the new version of Twilight 2000 they have a map of Sweden.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2020, 11:39 PM

I can't find mine right now but i think this magazine also included material about the T2K in space and about those stranded in space.This is not the same version as antenna since he used the finish books if i remember it correctly.

https://www.alfaspel.se/482-sinkadus...2-rubicon-nr-3

Last edited by Hybris; 08-13-2020 at 11:49 PM.