RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 09-09-2009, 10:31 AM
God-Emperor of the Universe

Default The MARS Force - My Version

Since I'm enjoying the feedback and ideas that are showing up here, I though I'd like to share a concept I have been using in my own campaigns for a number of years...

MARS DIVISION:

These are the 'warriors' of the Morrow Project. MARS stands for 'Mobile Assault, Rescue, and Strike' forces. The MARS teams are not mercenaries; they are pledged to defend the Project and the people it was created to help. The Division provides two different aspects of 'armed support' to the Project - security teams for protection and to assist in maintaining order; and an integrated 'combat-capability' to deal with large-scale threats to the Project. The centrepiece of the MARS Division are the four "MARS Force" Groups, each built around a MARS-One vehicle

The MARS Force:

The MARS Force is geared towards short-term, high intensity conflict operations. These teams have a more 'pure military' focus rather than a police/security function of the MARS Security teams. MARS Force teams are COMBAT troops. Each MARS Force is the equivalent of a Mechanized Infantry Company, with supporting elements attached. All Personnel are from the MARS Division. Each MARS Force is composed of 9 teams (detailed below).

Command Team - 1 MARS-One; 8 personnel (ZM-#0)
Assault Team - 1 V-150(25mm); 2 V-150(APC); 24 personnel (ZM-#1,#2,#3)
Forward Scout Team - 3 Commando Scout; 6 personnel (ZM-#4,#5)
Fire Support Team - 3 V-150(81mm); 15 personnel (ZM-#6)
Armoured Defence Team - 3 V-150(TOW) 12 personnel (ZM-#7)
HAAM Strike Team - 15 HAAM suits; 15 personnel (ZM-#8)

MARS Force units are identified by a two character Alpha prefix ZM (Zulu Mike) denoting them as Regional MARS assets, with a two digit numeric suffix; the first digit denoting the specific region they are assigned to and the second digit representing their specific team number. For example, ZM-30 would indicate the MARS-One/Command Team for MARS Force 3 (Region III). ZM-26 on the other hand would indicate the Fire Support Team of MARS Force 2 (Region II). MARS Force teams are identified as follows:

ZM-#0 is a MARS Force MARS-One/Command Team
ZM-#1, #2, #3 are the MARS Force Assault Teams
ZM-#4, #5 are the MARS Force Scout Teams
ZM-#6 is the MARS Force Mortar Support Team
ZM-#7 is the MARS Force Armoured Defence Team
ZM-#8 is the MARS Force HAAM Strike Team

Vehicles within the MARS teams are denoted with Alpha characters. For example, the first mortar vehicle in team ZM-46 would be A, and would identify itself as 46Alpha or as ZM-46A. The V-150(25mm) in ZM-12 would be 12A, or ZM-12A; the two V-150(APC) vehicles would be 12B and 12C respectively.

MARS Forces Groups are 2nd Level assets, under the direct command and control of their assigned Regional Command Base (Zulu 1-4). Prime Base does not maintain a MARS Force, but does hold an additional MARS-One vehicle, known as MARS Prime.

That's it folks...

Cheers!
Traveller
Old 09-10-2009, 08:07 PM

Looks good - but I believe that the MARS units should be either air-mobile or be able to call on air support (if only for MEDEVAC).

And, if you'll forgive the "vanity post" I have 2 candidates for aircraft that could be assigned to work with your proposed MARS unit

http://morrow-industries.com/morrow-project-blog/?p=296
http://morrow-industries.com/morrow-project-blog/?p=224
Old 09-10-2009, 10:37 PM
God-Emperor of the Universe

Hi Matt;

Thanks for the feedback...and congrats on your own MP site btw - you have got an "Excellent" archive and blog there (I have read it for a coupe of years now).

Re: The Penetrator - Matt, I actually already use it and yes - I got it off your site! I had originally used Rotorway Exec 162F Kit helicopters (re-configured for fusion power and capable of breaking down into six man-portable packages) to outfit my ZI Aerial Support Group units, but after reading your "Penetrator" article, I "retro-fitted" the Air Teams with purpose-built HA-212M (Hughes Aircraft 212 Morrow) variants instead.

My Aerial Support Group is not MARS-specific, but does include 1 x Combat Squadron, 2 x Transport Squadrons, and 1 x Medevac Squadron. Each Squadron is composed of four HA-212's with ground support vehicles (rangers and Humemrs) as well as ground crew, air crew, and flight control staff.

I now use the Rotorway 162's inside caches and as a replacement for the 'Air Scout' Gyro-copter.

Thanks for your suggestions Matt - and all the good work on your site!

Cheers!
Traveller
Old 03-09-2010, 08:15 PM
sic1701

The Penetrator looks excellent! A little unduly influenced by "Blue Thunder", but excellent nonetheless!