RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 03-01-2018, 07:13 PM

Default Monastery - comments invited

I'm trying to write up a small monastery (it's "mixed": 10 monks and 10 nuns). So far, I have a floorplan for the monastery and would appreciate comments. Have I missed anything?

Old 03-01-2018, 11:51 PM

The first thing that came out to me is the lavishly large monk and nun cells. Even in modern monasteries, a cell is only about 3-4m on a side. These look closer to 6m.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:11 PM

I think it depends on the type of Monastery. IRL, Carthusian "cells" are actually 3 or 4 rooms in a 2-storey cottage. Each "cell" in my monastery would be a combination of quarters/workshop/library: a space to live, eat, sleep and work
Old 03-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Internet Intellectual

Do they have a purpose? Are they keeping knowledge alive? Aiding the sik and poor? A provider of food and goods for their Order on a mission or in another locale? A place for the Rich to dump idle family members like third sons and unmarriage-able women?

Hierarchy. Abbot, Abbess. Librarian. Doctor, Chamberlain. Officers, Sergeants, Corporals. Novitiates. Beggars. Lepers.

Armory. Water well. Cisterns. Patients Ward.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:16 PM

Whilst I spend way too long in making floor plans and maps when GMing, I like to use real locations a lot too, and other rpg supplements can often be useful.
Some interesting floorplans here:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...of_monasteries
Old 04-10-2018, 09:04 AM

Default monastary outbuildings

very nice map, so, my eyes are old but I don't see a stable or vehicle shed. Does the Monastary have attatched fields or orchards other than those listed on the map? They would need plow animals if they did and what about cattle for milk and meat? Also I don't see any chicken coops. Do the monks/nuns travel by foot when and if they travel? what about an outer wall or even hedgerows. They don't have to be high, just enough to keep out strangers and wild animals.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:04 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Maybe some rooms for wine making?
Old 04-16-2018, 04:45 PM

Default Purpose

Thank you for this work! It is community contributors like yourself who make our hobby great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monastery

I will not attempt to replicate the entire Wikipedia entry, but would recommend reading it to get a better background understanding of the origins, history, and various manifestations of monasteries throughout our history.

It traditionally is unlikely that a monastery would be co-ed. Even 150 years after the big blow up, it is more likely that the traditional focus of one sex/gender per institution. Were this in a game I was playing, finding a co-ed monastery would "ruffle my jimmies" and break immersion, UNLESS you come up with a very compelling reason for this break.

Also I would encourage you as a creator/PD/GM to come up with WHY this monastery exists.
  • WHO founded it? This creates the backstory of the saint/abbey/abbess founder.
  • WHY was it founded? Traditionally monasteries have meaning that is political/religious/economic/historic and in keeping with their surroundings. They often became locally powerful and important to the economic life of their environs.
  • WHEN was it founded? Is this a remnant of pre-war? Is this recent? This gives depth to your expression of it in game. Which also aids immersion for your players.
  • HOW was it founded? There may be a cool back story here, sacred artifacts, holy writings, collective survival/defence that became established compound.
Just the act of thinking through these things will help make this a better product overall.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:09 AM

Default I like it

I would like to see this written up as a 'plug in module' that could be used in any campaign. I know I could make use of of such a place.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:26 PM

Might be of interest:

I live a few miles from Lindisfarne (Holy Island, home of St Cuthbert).
The priory (now ruins) plan is here:
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/c...ry-phased-plan

It is a nice location for a defensive outpost, only reachable at low tide.
There is also a castle here.
It was targeted by the vikings in its day.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:19 PM

The book A Canticle for Leibowitz (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Ca..._for_Leibowitz) might provide some inspiration, given that the stories involve a monastery after a nuclear war in the US.

At the very least, its a good read.

Cheers!
Old 05-15-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalwanderer View Post
The book A Canticle for Leibowitz (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Ca..._for_Leibowitz) might provide some inspiration, given that the stories involve a monastery after a nuclear war in the US.

At the very least, its a good read.

Cheers!
I think it was also mentioned in the bibliography/sources in the back of TMP