RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 11-29-2020, 08:44 AM
The Stat Guy

Default Semi-OT: Request

I need some Excel books (preferably Excel 360 books, and online, or as least use the .xlsx and .XLSM extensions). What I'd like is to modify the existing worksheets, or preferably, make my own spreadsheets. I have what I think are some good ideas, but don't have a clue as to how to implement them.

Anybody have any ideas for online books or tutorials for this?

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 11-29-2020, 09:07 AM

The Microsoft Support site has a set of basic tutorials for the entire 365 family. Good starting place for a true beginner. LinkedIn also has some good tutorials.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:21 PM

And you can try YouTube.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
I need some Excel books (preferably Excel 360 books, and online, or as least use the .xlsx and .XLSM extensions). What I'd like is to modify the existing worksheets, or preferably, make my own spreadsheets. I have what I think are some good ideas, but don't have a clue as to how to implement them.

Anybody have any ideas for online books or tutorials for this?
I'm interested and available to help. Are you still looking for help? (Vlookup, Index(Match) and SumIf are probably formulas that can help.)

Have similarly been tinkering with excel and have reached the point where building the data tables are necessary next steps. Currently working on a calculator the PC could use to support the calculations for automatic fire - recoil, range, dice removed, RoF, burst size, strength, small arms asset, etc. are all variables that could be plugged into excel to help resolve the action.

Does anyone have the weapons data in tabular format ... if not, no worries ... I'll get to typing.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:17 PM

Default Execel training links and a combat calculator

Paul – there are a ton of books available, but the online click-as-you-go / self-paced options are really handy. For this type of thing I’ve always been better with “hands-on” than paging through a large tome.

• Linkedin Learning: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/to...icrosoft-excel
• Microsoft free tutorial / templates – Excel: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...mc_id=otc_home

Admittedly a hard-copy can be handy, but with Excel there is SO MUCH content that any thorough book ends up quite thick. Rather than drop a bunch of cash on a new hard-copy, I’d hit up a local used book store and see if they have a 2016 or 2019 (or ‘365) version on the shelf. I’m lucky enough to have several Half Price Books close by (Wisconsin) with a selection of used training books.

Basic operation is very similar between the latest versions and Office365, I haven’t noticed a ton of ‘365 specialties that are used in day-to-day operations. My office transitioned me a month ago from 2016 to ‘365, and I have both 2019 and ‘365 at home and don’t have any issue moving between them. Very similar layout, and operation.

Due to the volume of content, I have been turning more to Google for searching than using a reference volume.

And like Amagi, I would be honored to help out if there was anything I could do from my end to assist.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time combing through your website, so it’d be great to give back a little.

Amagi – I will try to attach a copy of an excel-based PC-sheet that I had worked up. It has a weapon / combat section that auto-calculates all the items you mentioned once you fill in PC stats, the few key gun stats, and CRM skill level.

Fill in white cells, and the green cells will calculate.

It figures auto-fire, range, dice-numbers, and recoil rules, and I even took a stab at some armor interactions.

Feel free to take what works and re-write what you don’t like. And I’d also be open to feedback regarding how I interpreted some of the rules.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Twilight2000 Blank PC Sheet 5-pg REVISED 2020-11-05.xlsx (204.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-18-2021, 03:23 PM

This is great!

I need to protect some cells in my calculator (via Google Sheets.). I'll share it soon. (Changing the wrong cells breaks the calculator ... need to error-proof them.)

You might be able to move my weapon lookup table into your sheet to provide the user a drop-down box pre-populated with the weapons ... and auto-populate many of the values: range, recoil, hit numbers, damage, etc. If you need help with vlookup or index(match), message me.

The formula in Y8 determines range from the target: =ROUNDUP(FORECAST(E6,OFFSET(dis,MATCH(E6,rng)-1,,2,1),OFFSET(rng,MATCH(E6,rng)-1,,2,1)),0)

I was using it to learn the rules and accelerate burst or single-shot calculations. Feedback is welcomed. There are probably more elegant approaches to this. My excel skills are slightly better than average.

I added the weapons table to your sheet and added a few lookups to the first weapon slot.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by Amagi; 03-18-2021 at 03:41 PM. Reason: context
Old 03-18-2021, 08:31 PM

This is cool, had thought about adding drop-downs, but hadn't gotten that far yet.

I've copied it down, and I'll look at it this weekend!
Old 03-19-2021, 06:43 AM

Be careful if moving back and forth between Excel and Google Sheets. There are a myriad of commands, among other issues, that don't translate properly. I spent nearly 2 months trying to convert an Excel download of a SQL database to Sheets to no avail. I'd never have even attempted it but the client (a state DOT) had converted 100% to Sheets and didn't even have a copy of Excel (or any other Microsoft product) as a backup plan.