RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 11-24-2020, 04:28 PM

Default T2K v2.2 Advantages/Disadvantages?

My group and I play T2K v2.2 almost exclusively and have a heavily modified character generation system (based partly on homebrew, Mitch Berg and Paul Mulcahy's), but one thing my players have been asking for is a way to personalize their characters a little more, and since I play other games with such things I was wondering if there was any Advantages/Disadvantages house rules floating around out there.

I know T2K13 has some A/D rules, but I haven't been able to look at them, or have any experience with converting them if I had.

Has anyone seen or developed some v2.2 A/D rules?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-24-2020, 11:03 PM

personalize how? like background, growing up?
Old 11-25-2020, 10:39 AM
The Stat Guy

GURPS has a host of such that could conceivably mined for such. Unfortunately, for me, it would at the end of a long list.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 11-25-2020, 05:34 PM
Registered Registrant

Like wolffhound mentioned, I think it would be useful to know what your friend means by "personalize".
What particular aspects of the character are they thinking of?
Old 11-25-2020, 07:34 PM

I think he meant Personalize by specific quirks for either positive or negative game effects.

Personalize so that two characters who are essentially the same apart from a few skill points, say two Tank crewmen, so that they might be more identifiable.
Perhaps one positive quirk (advantage) might be he's an excellent student and finds it easier to learn certain skills, another might have some sort of direction sense making it easier to navigate.

Picking a few off the top of my head from other games might include ambidextrous, or a light sleeper, conversely heavy sleeper... All the way to a negative quirks (disadvantages) like a missing finger, or a missing hand, reduced hearing, or a bad eye, addiction, and so on and so forth.

Just looking whether someone might have already come up with a list of advantages and disadvantages, how they might be chosen and limited (by point value, plus/minus perhaps) and their game effects...

Did that make sense?

I heard there was something similar in T2K13 but I haven't seen it, and am not sure about converting game effects between the systems and so on.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:09 PM
Registered Registrant

Yes that made sense. I don't know of anyone who's done anything like that but from what you mentioned it might be worth doing as Paul suggested, check out GURPS.
GURPS has a system for advantages/disadvantages and because they cover multiple genres you should be able too find appropriate entries that can convert to T2k 2.2 easily enough.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:19 AM

I had a system for characters, pick a state or roll for a state. 2 d10 for a result in 100 and devide by 2. using a alphabetical list of 50 states pick one within 2 from that number. now we know where abouts you are from. Ive tried a modified cyberpunk at first but in the end I use percentile each term.

For example with basic training rolling high can mean a good posting with a extra promotion for good conduct.

For a four year term of service a low percentile under 40 can cause something bad like my one character had a bad run in with a superior officer stalling his career an forced him to be posted in a dead end office. Rolling 10 or less can cause loss of promotion or worse if lower than 5 maybe time in the brig for a minor offence.

So anything over 70 can be a good conduct , 80 a minor medal , 90 minor to senoir medal and a promotion 95 plus is say a heroic action mentioned or known to others.

I once had a character roll 100 so I said he won the congressional medal of honor and a promotion. A percentile chance he is reconized by other officers when in the field.

it depends on the time frame, career path, i allow characters to pick certain traits they want, then write up a small background and set goals they have.
Like going home or building up a small fortune, or finding a loved one.

If someone has a chart to roll on that would be cool.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:30 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffhound79 View Post
personalize how? like background, growing up?
No, growing up is handled by Background Skills, though I have given players a certain amount of minor skills (cooking, photography, space organization, etc)

As for the rest, unless you're anal about die rolls, you can pretty much make the rest on your own (subject to GM approval, of course).

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 11-26-2020, 09:04 PM

I have looked at them in TW2K13 and made a rough list by combining Games Studio 93's work with both GURPS and a selection of Advantages/Disadvantages from TSR's TOP SECRET SI but it is FAR from a complete work.

I will tell you that from a "game balance" perspective, you MUST be very careful about what bonuses or penalties they give. My own preference since I use the DIFFICULTY SHIFT system (where you raise/lower the difficulty as a modifier) is to give them either a bonus/penalty from 1 to 3 OR now that I'm using it, allow the PC to roll will a BOON or BANE (this is basically the D&D5e ADVANTAGE/DISADVANTAGE mechanic being reskinned by Mongoose's Traveller v2).

As for acquiring them, I would have a player average ALL of their ATTRIBUTES, and if that average is 5 or less, I'd give them a free point to buy an Advantage with. Otherwise, to get an Advantage, they must either buy a Disadvantage and use the point (or points) gained from that Disadvantage to buy an Advantage OR you could allow the purchase of an Advantage with a Skill Point in certain lifepaths.

Last edited by swaghauler; 11-26-2020 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added a comment
Old 11-26-2020, 09:43 PM

I would love to see what you have, swaghauler if it's for v2.2!

Complete list or not it's certainly more than what I have right now. And I like the idea that characters with fewer points in attributes can have the potential for a 'free' advantage, while others need to 'buy' disadvantages to get points to then 'buy' advantages. That's similar to a couple of systems I've had experience with.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCaine View Post
I would love to see what you have, swaghauler if it's for v2.2!

Complete list or not it's certainly more than what I have right now. And I like the idea that characters with fewer points in attributes can have the potential for a 'free' advantage, while others need to 'buy' disadvantages to get points to then 'buy' advantages. That's similar to a couple of systems I've had experience with.
I'll work that up for you when I get a moment.