RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2019, 10:46 PM

Australia was never going to buy them. There simply wasn't the money available with interest rates here so high at the time (something like 20% and a recession).
There wasn't even enough money to pay for blank ammunition for training the units we did have!

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 06-04-2019, 03:22 AM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Australia was never going to buy them. There simply wasn't the money available with interest rates here so high at the time (something like 20% and a recession).
There wasn't even enough money to pay for blank ammunition for training the units we did have!
I remember those days... the dark times... where we had to keep accounts of kilometres travelled for every vehicle so they could decide when we were allowed to have new tyres or track links, the times where as a Reservist we had to take our own food on weekend training because there was no budget to cater for meals while out bush.
It was at that time that I seriously considered leaving the ARes. The few things that kept me in was my mates in the unit, the high quality of officers the unit had at the time and a training WO who would drive the 600 klicks to Perth to secure needed equipment for the training weekends from a "certain" regiment the unit had a good working relationship with (they used our base for their desert, demo and car commander's training courses)

But I digress...
I agree that Australia did not have the money for anything extra let alone a new fighter type for the air force. However for the T2k world, I think it's something that can be worked around if there's a third world war looming, but to each their own.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:47 AM

I did my recruit course with about 400 other people (including staff). For one entire week we all had to share a grand total of just sixteen (16) pounds of fresh meat because the budget simply didn't allow for any more! Needless to say there were a LOT of vegetarian "options" and given we were in the field at the time, in the middle of winter, AND it was pouring with rain for 6 out of those 7 days.....
Then the cooks sent out some nice, steaming hot porridge for breakfast to apologise. Went down great until somebody noticed the additional meat ration in it - riddled with weevils!
For that same week we had an average of 11 blank rounds per person, with NO resupply. Fun times....

Mors ante pudorem
Old 06-04-2019, 04:23 AM
Registered Registrant

WEEVILS! You lucky bastards! We used to dream of weevils in our porridge... if we actually got any porridge!
(With apologies to Monty Python's Life of Brian).

But yes, bad times indeed, I recall the "half-magazine" of blanks to last for the entire Ex and 30-rds of blank link for the gun... being put into the demeaning position of having to yell out "Bang" when we ran out of blanks.
When we finally got to do grenade training, the OC and training WO encouraged everyone to attend because they didn't know when we'd be able to train with live grenades again so it was being treated as a "once in a lifetime" event.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:26 AM

I count myself lucky that things were on the up when I joined the ARes.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
WEEVILS! You lucky bastards! We used to dream of weevils in our porridge... if we actually got any porridge!
I still ate it, even if most didn't....

Bang was only for the rifles! Machinegunners had to yell out bursts of "buckets of bullets"!
We had one guy who got so good at imitating the M16 that everyone thought he had a secret stash of ammo he was using. You seriously couldn't tell the difference!

Mors ante pudorem
Old 06-04-2019, 04:50 AM

Attachment 4229

Mors ante pudorem

Last edited by Legbreaker; 04-29-2021 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:37 AM
Registered Registrant

I suppose with the cancellation of Israel's indigenous Lavi fighter in 1987, they might have been open to the purchase of the F-20, particularly as the F-16 couldn't operate the AIM-7 missile but the F-20 could.
In the real world, the Lavi lost out to the cheaper F-16 but if Northrop had been allowed to market the F-20 they may have been more effective in getting sales than the State Department (who held the rights to market the aircraft and seemed uninterested in doing so).
Old 06-04-2019, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Ok that is funny as hell - is that an official meme for this group?