RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 10-19-2018, 06:18 AM

Throw it my way. Accepting all submissions at the moment.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-19-2018, 01:00 PM

Right Legbreaker here is some information about equipment levels for Australian forces at the start of the Twilight War in 1996/1997. I haven't included any organisation such as brigades/regiments/battalions/squadrons etc as I figured you already have that information.

Australian Army

Manpower: 30,300 (with 29,200 in Reserves)
Available Manpower: 2,152,000 males aged between 18 and 32 (* in mid-1990's)

Tanks
Leopard 1A3 MBT: 92
Armoured Vehicles
ASLAV Type I (25mm cannon) AIFV: 64
ASLAV Type II APC: 63 (* production ongoing)
M113 MRV (76mm gun) AIFV: 53
M113A1/AS3/AS4 APC: 725 (* 205 held in storage)
Artillery
M198 155mm Towed Howitzer: 36
BL 5.5 inch (140mm) Towed Gun: (* 34 guns retired in 1984 but some likely held in storage)
L118 (Hamel) 105mm Towed Gun: 111
M2A2 105mm Towed Howitzer: 142 (* most held in storage)
Model 56 (L5) 105mm Pack Howitzer: (* 20 guns retired in 1992 but some likely held in storage)
Air Defence
Rapier SAM Launcher: 20
RBS-70 Portable SAM Launcher: 19
Engineer Vehicle
BPz-2 ARV: 6
BRPz-1 Biber AVLB: 5
Infantry Support Weapons
L16 81mm Mortar: 294
MILAN Anti-Tank Missile Launcher: 12
M-40A1 106mm Recoilless Rifle: 68
Carl Gustav 84mm Recoilless Rifle: 597
Aircraft
GAF N-22B Nomad Light STOL Aircraft: 13
PC-6 Light STOL Aircraft: 14
UH-1H Bushranger (armed) Helicopter: 6
UH-1H Helicopter: (* as many as 40 still operational or held in reserve)
S-70 Helicopter: 39
AS-350 Squirrel Light Helicopter: 18
OH-58 Light Helicopter: 44 (* probably more held in reserve)
Marine Craft
LCM-8 Landing Craft: 16
LARC-5 Amphibious Cargo Vehicle: 85
Ordinance:
MILAN Anti-Tank Missile: 120 delivered
M712 Copperhead Guided Shell: 100 delivered
Rapier-1 SAM Missile: 570 delivered
RBS-70 SAM Missile: 100 delivered

Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF)

Manpower: 22,100 (with 1,500 in Reserves)

The RAAF was a better trained and equipped air force than all of its neighbours in South-East Asia, and was supported by the US who gave it access to first class American aircraft and ordinance. In the early 1990's the RAAF bought F-111G (FB-111A) strike bombers which gave it a near strategic strike capability with a range of at least 4,000 nm with drop tanks. The F-111G could strike anywhere in Papua New Guinea and the Indonesian archipelago from the Northern Territory, and theoretically as far north as the south coast of China. The F/A-18 was also superior to any fighter used by Asian air forces at this time with the exception of Japan.

The RAAF had a large number of air bases located across Australia of which 13 (Richmond, Williamstown (NSW), Darwin, Tindal (NT), Amberley, Scherger, Townsville (QLD), Edinburgh, Woomera (SA), East Sale (VIC), and Curtin, Pearce, Learmonth (WA)) had asphalt runways with a length of at least 2,000 metres. This allowed transports in the C-5 Galaxy and Boeing 747 Freighter class and also US strategic bombers to safely take off and land from them. There were also 35 civilian airports with runways over 2,000 metres including some in remote locations in the Northern Territory and Western Australia. RAAF Tindal Base in the Northern Territory was the main operational base for air missions north of the Australian mainland, being located outside of the cyclone zone and easy to defend.

Combat Aircraft
F-111G Strike Bomber: 15
F-111C Strike Bomber: 18 (* held in storage or retired)
RF-111C Recon: 4
F/A-18A/B Hornet Fighter/Attack: 75 (* 13 held in storage)
A-4K Skyhawk 2 Fighter/Attack: 6 (* leased from New Zealand)
MB-326H Light Attack: 16
Support Aircraft
PC-3C Orion Marine Patrol: 20
Boeing 707 Tanker: 4
C-130E Hercules Transport: 12
C-130H Hercules Transport: 12
Boeing 707 Transport: 2
DHC-4 Transport: 23
BAC-III VIP Transport: 2
BAE 748 VIP Transport: 2
Dassault Falcon-900 VIP Transport: 4
GAF N-22B Nomad Light STOL Aircraft: 2
Training Aircraft
MB-326H Advanced Trainer: 60
BAE 748 T2 Trainer: 8
PC-9 Trainer: 67
CT-4/4A Trainer: 48 (* some held in storage)
Helicopter
CH-47C Transport Helicopter: 12 (* all held in storage)
Air Ordinance
AGM-84A Harpoon AS Missile: (* used by F/A-18, F-111G and P-3C Orion)
AGM-142A Popeye-1 AS Missile: 51 on order (* for F-111G)
AIM-7M Sparrow BVRAA Missile: 300 delivered
AIM-9L Sidewinder SRAA Missile: 450 delivered
ASRAAM BVRAA Missile: 400 on order
BLU-109 2,000 Ib Hardened Penetrator Bomb (* used by F-111G)
GBU-10 Paveway II 2,000 Ib Laser Guided Bomb: 100 delivered (* used by F-111G)
GBU-12 Paveway II 500 Ib Laser Guided Bomb: 100 delivered
GBU-15 Paveway 2,000 Ib Laser Guided Bomb: 100 delivered (* used by F-111G)
Mark 82 500 Ib General Purpose Bomb
Mark 83 1,000 Ib General Purpose Bomb
Mark 84 2,000 Ib General Purpose Bomb (* used by F-111G)
R-550 Magic-1 SRAA Missile: 550 delivered (* held in storage or retired)

Royal Australian Navy (RAN)

Manpower: 15,700 (with 26,000 in Reserves)

Naval Bases
Fleet Base East: Sydney, NSW
Fleet Base West: Garden Island, WA
HMAS Albatross: Nowra, NSW (* Naval air station)
HMAS Cairns: Cairns, QLD
HMAS Coonawarra: Darwin, NT

The RAN had grown closer to the US since the Second World War, and particularly since the British withdrawal East of Aden in the 1970's. The US had also largely replaced Britain as Australia's principle arms supplier including ships and naval weapons before the Twilight War. The last RAN aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne was retired in 1982 and Australia had planned to buy the British HMS Invincible to replace it, but the outbreak of the Falklands War led to Britain retaining all of its carriers. The RAN retained an interest in carrier aviation and leased a number of New Zealand A-4K Skyhawk to train RAN pilots in jet aircraft in the 1990's, but nothing ever came of it before the start of the Twilight War.

The RAN has a number of other small bases and communication and training establishments in the Sydney area, Canberra and Melbourne. The former small RAN bases in Adelaide, Brisbane and Hobart that closed in the early 1990's are likely to be still active in T2K. The RAN would also have access to New Zealand naval bases, Papua New Guinea naval facilities at Port Moresby, Milne Bay, Manus Island and Los Negros Island, and the British naval base at Hong Kong and facilities on the British island territory of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. The Australian refugee and illegal immigrant detention centres at Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean and Nauru in the Pacific Ocean might also be relevant to the RAN.

Submarine
Collins Class Submarine: 1 (* 2 more under construction, 3 more planned)
Oberon Class Submarine: 5 (* 1 held in reserve)
Principle Surface Combatants
Adams Class Destroyer: 3
ANZAC Class Frigate: 2 (* 1 more under construction, 5 more planned)
Leander Class Frigate: 2 (* 2 held in reserve)
Perry Class Frigate: 6
Patrol and Coastal Combatants
Attack Class Patrol Boat: 2 (* 2 held in reserve)
Fremantle Class Patrol Boat: 15
Mine Warfare
Bay Class Mine Hunter: 2
Huon Class Mine Hunter: (* 6 under construction)
Bandicoot Class Minesweeper Auxiliary: 2
Brolga Class Minesweeper Auxiliary: 2
Amphibious
Kanimbla Class LST: 2
Tobruk Class LSH: 1
Balikpapan Class LCT: 8
Support Ships
Success Class AOR: 1
Westralia Class Tanker: 1
Protector Class Support Vessel: 1
Leeuwin Class Survey Vessel: (* 2 under construction)
Other Miscellaneous Vessel: 7
Fleet Air Arm
BAE-748 Trainer: 2
SH-60B ASW Helicopter: 16
Sea King Mk 50 ASW Helicopter: 8 (* held in reserve)
OH-58 Light Helicopter: 3
AS-350B Light Helicopter: 6
Naval Ordinance
AGM-84A Harpoon AS Missile: 229 (* some used by RAAF F/A-18, F-111G and P-3C Orion)
RIM-7P Sea Sparrow SR SAM: 32 delivered
RIM-66B Standard-1 MR SAM Missile: 540 delivered
Mark 46 ASW Torpedo: 200 delivered
Mark 46 Mod-5 NEARTIP ASW Torpedo: 100 delivered
Mark 48 ASW Torpedo: 100
Mark 48 Mod-4 ASW Torpedo: 20 delivered
Mark 54 ASW Torpedo: (* used on RAN surface ships and helicopters)
MU90 ASW Torpedo: (*used on RAN surface ships and helicopters)

Bureau of Customs

Bay Class Patrol Boat: (* 8 planned)
Patrol Boat: 6
Aircraft
GAF N-22B Searchmaster Marine Patrol: 10

Foreign Forces in Australia
US personnel (270 USAF and 450 US Navy) at NW Cape, Pine Gap and Nurrungar
New Zealand personnel (RNZAF training)
Old 10-19-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
A third Brigade, mainly made up of British troops could round out the Division which would probably be under British command. This last brigade may be under strength right from the beginning, or keep the Gurkas with them and leave the Canadian/NZ brigade weaker. As the Korean front appears to be an extension of the 1950's war, it's highly likely to be a UN operation I think, so that final brigade could also be rounded out with the contributions of smaller nations (might even see companies from places like Samoa, South Africa, Philippines, even France might have a presence.

Just my rambling thoughts. Feel free to pull it apart.
A full British Brigade that's canon compliant is theoretically possible. Parking the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters to one side, the other Regular Infantry Battalions that are not included in the canon orbat per the NATO Vehicle Guide (V1) and the Survivor's Guide to the United Kingdom are all Guards Battalions.

• 2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards
• 1st Battalion, Coldstream Guards
• 1st Battalion, Scots Guards
• 2nd Battalion, Scots Guards
• 1st Battalion, Irish Guards

(That's based on the pre 1991 orbat - 2/Grenadiers and 2/Scots were both placed into suspended animation at the end of the Cold War)

I suppose you could use any of them. The canon orbat for the British Army is a mess that bears only the faintest resemblance to late 80's real life planning. Putting a couple of Guards Battalions into Korea, while not particularly realistic imho, isn't going to make it any worse than it already is.

The alternative would be to use the Territorial Army (the British equivalent of the Army Reserve / National Guard for those unfamiliar with the term). GDW completely ignored the TA (I refer to my comment above) so you'd have a free hand in which units to allocate (IRL all TA Infantry Battalions were assigned to either Home Defence or BAOR reinforcement roles - the 2nd UK Division should have been 1 x Regular Brigade and 2 x TA Brigades - but I think there could maybe be a case for a couple of Battalions being retasked to other operations, e.g. Korea).
Old 10-19-2018, 07:34 PM

Thanks. All very useful input.

Just had a thought a moment ago that I'll probably need to include some basic information on the leadership, so with that in mind I'd love the Australian and New Zealander ex and currently serving soldiers, seamen and airmen to give me a few names of the officers they served under which might have come to prominence during the period.
For myself my old battalion commander and RSM spring to mind as people of importance, as well as the father of my company clerk - he was a recently retired DSM in 94 who could have been drawn back in.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-19-2018, 07:37 PM

I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the way of an ANZAC sourcebook for T2K, Leg. It might go some way to restoring my love for the game (which unfortunately has been largely gone for some time now).
Old 10-19-2018, 08:55 PM
Banned

What I had for the Ceylon peacekeeping force was the following in the East African Sourcebook

A Company, 6th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment – Malindi
• Manpower: 105 men
• Vehicles: four Land Rovers, five Jeeps

Australia had sent troops to Ceylon in 1993 as part of the peace keeping mission there. By 1995 they had been reduced to two infantry companies who were then cut off there with the outbreak of hostilities. During the next four years they fought rebels and Italian and Greek soldiers who were there as part of the mission. Finally in 1999 the surviving troops left on several commandeered sailing dhows and tried to make it to friendly forces. After a long and arduous voyage they were spotted by a patrol craft and were brought to Mombasa.

The survivors were regrouped as a single company and were re-armed using captured Tanzanian small arms, machine guns and mortars. Now under British Army command, they have been tasked with supporting local Kenyan Police in Malindi and the area surrounding the city as well as the garrisoning of the San Marco Equatorial Range, which is an orbital launch platform previously used by Italy and is one of the few operational satellite communications stations still left in the world.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
What I had for the Ceylon peacekeeping force was the following in the East African Sourcebook

A Company, 6th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment – Malindi
A Coy (along with B and C Coy) at that time were a reservist unit mostly made up of uni students on their gap year. There's absolutely no way they'd have been deployed. Only D Coy were regular troops.
Absolutely the wrong unit to send.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-19-2018, 09:52 PM

I have to wonder what the Australian Special operations were up to?

That and would Australians form Civilian defense units?

I know that Mad Max is fiction but what would the Marauders be like? I know that you have had some issues with Bikies. Here in the US we hear about their homemade submachineguns and them stealing a half dozen LAW rockets.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:00 AM

Well we know there's a small group of SAS in Poland. Why though, we have absolutely no idea.

No, there would be no paramilitary type units at all. Local army reserve units would fill that role. Those people who tried forming their own CDL type groups would be treated as marauders.

Bikies aren't really as big an issue as the media portrays them. 20 or so years ago a handful of M72's were taken and found their way into the hands of criminals, but that was due to somebody already in the military having sticky fingers. As for the home made firearms, I'm sure there's more of them made just in Florida than in the whole of Australia. Police here have be caught out photoshopping pictures of seized firearms - duplicating rifles, etc in the picture, calling magazines, bayonets, even empty magazine pouches and pistol holsters firearms!

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-20-2018, 07:20 AM

The target list I cooked up a while ago, use as appropriate.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Austrialian Draft Nuclear Target List.xls (29.0 KB, 37 views)

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 10-20-2018, 07:48 AM

Thanks. Just had a quick look so far but already saw some questionable targeting such as Richmond - it's C-130's and not much else. I lived and worked in and around it for a few years, it's just not worth nuking.
Meanwhile Williamtown at Newcastle where the majority of the F/A-18s were actually based (along with HQ and training) isn't on the list.
That said, by the time nukes were used, I'm fairly certain all Australia's combat air assets would have already been deployed.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-20-2018, 05:42 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Thanks. Just had a quick look so far but already saw some questionable targeting such as Richmond - it's C-130's and not much else. I lived and worked in and around it for a few years, it's just not worth nuking.
Meanwhile Williamtown at Newcastle where the majority of the F/A-18s were actually based (along with HQ and training) isn't on the list.
That said, by the time nukes were used, I'm fairly certain all Australia's combat air assets would have already been deployed.
Definitely, those Hercs probably wouldn't all be at Richmond either, they would have been deployed northwards to assist with the operations in Papua New Guinea. Not all of them, but probably at least half of them would be away from base making Richmond even less attractive as a nuke target.

As for Williamtown, the majority of the Hornets would have been deployed to the various dispersal bases around the top end of Australia probably well in advance of any attack against Williamtown.

But as mentioned by Leg, the majority of Australian airpower would have already been damaged or destroyed beforehand. I'm inclined to believe that use of nuclear weapons against Australia would be more to deny base facilities (e.g. ports) to UK/US forces in the Indo-Pacific region. With that in mind, use against Australian military facilties would be limited to those bases that directly supported UK/US military operations.

As a potential (and very small) boost to the remaining military aircraft, it's possible the RAN (or even the RAAF) might take control of the half-dozen or so Grumman S-2 Trackers that were still in Australia. They had been retired in the mid 1980s and a small number were still in storage and awaiting disposal by the early 1990s. At that time there were still people in Australia with experience flying and servicing these aircraft (either still in RAN service, retired from the RAN or transferred to the RAAF).
But we are talking about three maybe four at most and they would probably be used as light bombers simply because there would be no ASW stores left for them to use (and more importantly, very few/no RAN vessels capable of supporting them in the ASW role).

A side note on those A-4 Skyhawks mentioned as being leased from New Zealand. They were used as OpFor for air force training as well as for land based air defence training.
Some of them were actually A-4G models that had been in service with the RAN fleet air arm and then sold to New Zealand (who upgraded them to A-4K standard).
In the early 2000s, the majority of the New Zealand Skyhawks were sold to a US company who also used them as aggressor aircraft.

Last edited by StainlessSteelCynic; 10-20-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: I keep spelling the RAAF base as William_s_town instead of Williamtown
Old 10-20-2018, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
A Coy (along with B and C Coy) at that time were a reservist unit mostly made up of uni students on their gap year. There's absolutely no way they'd have been deployed. Only D Coy were regular troops.
Absolutely the wrong unit to send.
Perfect that is exactly the information that I need - definitely want to make the unit realistic - so could easily switch the units - basically it would be an amalgamation of the two companies that remained into one single company - so what would have been the most likely units?

I picked the 6th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment at random but obviously I had the wrong battalion - so what would have been the better battalion to have drawn those companies from originally?
Old 10-20-2018, 09:49 PM

1 and 2/4 RAR, perhaps 3 if you want a parachute battalion. 5/7 RAR for a Mechanised Battalion.
The rest all have at least elements of reservists in them and should probably be treated more as training units rather than operational.
I'd probably leave 1 RAR out of it though as IRL they were the most heavily deployed unit at the time.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-21-2018, 02:30 AM

I'm really looking forward to purchasing the sourcebook when it comes out.

In the GDW Bangkok sourcebook it mentions on page 18 that "Merchants affiliated with a triad or the yakuza will take US and Australian dollars ($1=A$2)".

It also mentions on page 31 that "Although severely disrupted by the war, trade has begun to return to Southeast Asia, and Thialand has several exports which it sends to its neighbours in Burma, Laos, and Vietnam as well as to ports farther afield in Indonesia, Singapore, Malaya, and (increasingly) western Australia."
Old 10-21-2018, 11:49 AM

In the 1990's Indonesia bought a lot of surplus East German equipment from the German government, primarily ships and aircraft. In Twilight 2000 this would not have happened so I didn't include any former East German equipment that Indonesia had at this time,

Indonesia Army

Manpower: 215,000 (with 800,000 Reserves)
Available Manpower: 24,283,000 males aged between 18-32) (* in mid-1990's)

The Indonesian Army had a confusing organisation. KOSTRAD was the regular army, and the KODAM forces were territorial forces that included reserves. Most operational army units are controlled through the KODAMS. These territorial units account for the bulk of the army’s personnel. The territorial system deploys army units at every level of the civilian government structure: Korem (Garrison Command), Kodim (District Command), Koramil (Subdistrict Command), and non-commissioned officers resident in the country’s villages. The territorial system is the least professional element of the army and had the lowest priority for equipment, manpower and training.

The army’s best combat units were the Strategic Reserve (KOSTRAD). KOSTRAD had about 30,000 personnel in two divisions and an airborne brigade, and was the largest operational command in the armed forces. However it had minimal organic logistics capability and its units obtained most of their logistical support from the territorial military regional commands in whose geographic area they were deployed, which limiting its ability to deploy independently for long periods to remote areas.

The Special Forces Command (KOPASSUS) has three special warfare groups and an elite counterterrorism unit (Unit 81). The KOPASSUS has a strength of about 10,000 personnel and is divided into three groups, consisting of two para-commando units, one intelligence unit, eight counter-terrorist units, and one training unit. The units have rapid reaction capability and often deployed to hotspots, generally in teams of 50 men or fewer. Traditionally KOPASSUS had links with the Australian and British SAS regiments and the US Army Special Forces.

Recruits train for 3 months with their local KODAM training regiment. Specialists and technicians attend centralized corps schools. NCO candidates undergo 5 months of promotion training at their Kodam training regiment. Officer recruits selected for the Military Academy (Akmil) first undertake basic training as soldiers. The academic component of officer training is increasingly stressed, and many officers leave Akmil with an undergraduate degree. Officers are also recruited from university and other vocational graduates who undertake a 20 week course at Akmil. An additional source of officer recruitment is from the ranks, with one year of training at officer cadet schools. During the 1990s, the army benefited from training links and exercises with the Singapore, Australian, British and US armies. Many of those training opportunities were lost when the United States and Australia ended many training programs in the wake of the East Timor violence in 1998.

Organisation
Strategic Reserve (KOSTRAD)
2 infantry division HQ
3 infantry brigade (9 battalion)
3 airborne brigade (9 battalion)
2 field artillery regiment (6 battalion)
1 air defence regiment (2 battalion)
2 engineer regiment

Military Area Command (KODAM)
10 military area commands (provisional (KOREM) and district (KORIM))
65 infantry battalion (including 4 airborne)
8 cavalry battalion
8 field artillery battalion
8 air defence battalion
8 engineer battalion
1 aviation squadron
1 helicopter squadron
Special Forces Group (KOPASSUS)
3 special forces groups

KOPASSUS Organisation
Group 1 (combat) : Serang, West Java
Group 2 (combat): Kartasura, Central Java
Group 3 (intelligence and covert operations): Jakarta, Java
Unit 81 (counterterrorism): Jakarta, Java
Training Centre: Batijajar, West Java

Equipment
Light Tank
AMX-13 (105mm gun): 125
PT-76 (76.2mm gun): 30
Armoured Vehicles
AMX-VCI APC: 200
BTR-40 APC: 140
BTR-50 APC: 25
Commando Ranger APC: 20
Commando Scout (20mm cannon) scout car: 28
Ferret scout car: 45
Saladin (76mm gun) armoured car: 60
Saracen APC: 45
V-150 Commando APC: 240
Artillery
AMX Mk 61 Self Propelled 105mm Gun: 50
M-101A1 105mm Towed Howitzer: 170
M-30 122mm Towed Howitzer: 20
M-48 76.2mm Towed Mountain Gun: 95
M-56 105mm Towed Howitzer: 10
Air Defence
Bofors L/70 40mm AA Gun: 90
Rapier SAM Launcher: 21
RBS-70 Portable SAM Launcher: 42
Rh-202 20mm AA Gun: 125
S-60 57mm AA Gun: 200
Infantry Support Weapons
M20A1B1 89mm Recoilless Rifle: 90
M29 81mm Mortar: 800
M-40A1 106mm Recoilless Rifle: 45
MO-120-RT 120mm Mortar: 75
SS-11 Anti-Tank Missile Launcher: 40
Aircraft
Bell 205 Helicopter: 12
Bell-412 Helicopter: 10
BO 105C Helicopter: 13
BN-2 Islander Communications Aircraft: 1
C-47 Dakota Transport: 2
C-212 STOL Transport: 4
Cessna 310 Light STOL: 2
DHC-5 VIP Transport: 3
Gulfstream 695 Commander Communications Aircraft: 1
Hughes 300C Light Helicopter: 10
Rockwell Commander 680FL STOL Transport: 2
Marine Craft
LST: 1
LCU: 20
Naval Transports: 14
Ordinance
Rapier SAM Missile: 300 delivered
RBS-70 SAM Missiles: 150 delivered
SS-11 Anti-Tank Missile: 500 delivered

Infantry Weapons
9mm Beretta M12 Sub-Machine Gun
5.56mm FN-FNC Assault Rifle
5.56mm M16A1 Assault Rifle
7.62mm Beretta BM59 Assault Rifle
7.62mm vz/52/57 Assault Rifle
5.56mm Minimi Light Machine Gun
7.62mm FN MAG General-Purpose Machine Gun
7.62mm M60 General-Purpose Machine Gun
12.7mm DShK Heavy Machine Gun
0.50in Browning M2HB Heavy Machine Gun
M18 57mm Recoilless Rifle
M79 40mm Grenade Launcher
M203 40mm Grenade Launch

Indonesian Air Force

Manpower: 25,000

The Indonesian air force included two operations commands (Koops I and II, administering air bases and operational units in western and eastern areas of the archipelago, respectively), and the special forces (ground defense), education and maintenance commands. Koops 1 and II directs the air force's various roles and supports the army and navy. Since the 1980s the air force has gradually moved more of its combat forces to forward locations outside Java, and in particular to three locations.

1) Pekanbaru Air Base in Sumatra’s Riau Province, supporting operations in Aceh and over the adjacent Malacca Strait
2) Supadio Air Base at Pontianak in West Kalimantan provides aircover for the important offshore Natuna gas field
3) Hasanuddin Air Base at Makassar in South Sulawesi supports a major KOSTRAD presence and serves as the main air force presence in the country’s eastern provinces

Organisation
2 fighter/ground attack squadrons (A-4E/H, F-16A/B)
1 fighter squadron (F-5E/F)
2 COIN squadron (Hawk Mk.53 and OV-10F)
1 marine patrol squadron
1 tanker flight
4 transport squadron
3 helicopter squadron
4 training squadron
5 airfield defence battalions

Equipment
F-16A/B Fighter/Attack: 12
A-4E/H Attack: 28
F-5E/F Fighter: 14
Hawk Mk.53 COIN: 24
OV-10F COIN: 12
Boeing 737-200 marine patrol: 3
C-130H-MP marine patrol: 2
KC-130B tanker: 2
C-47 Dakota transport: 9
C-130B transport: 9
C-130H transport: 3
C-130H-30 transport: 7
F-27-400M transport: 7
C-212 STOL transport: 10
Boeing 707 passenger transport: 1
F-28-1000 passenger transport: 1
Cessna 401/402 light transport: 7
Skyvan survey: 1
Sikorsky H-34 transport helicopter: 12
SA330 Puma transport helicopter: 13
UH-1B helicopter: 2
Alouette III light helicopter: 3
Bo-105 light helicopter: 12
Bell 206 light helicopter: 2
Trainer aircraft: 80
Air Ordinance
AGM-65 Maverick AS Missile: 50 delivered
AIM-9J Sidewinder SRAA Missile: 100 delivered
AIM-9P Sidewinder SRAA Missile: 75 delivered
Mark 82 500 Ib General Purpose Bomb
Mark 83 1,000 Ib General Purpose Bomb

Indonesian Navy

Manpower: 42,000 (including 1,000 naval air arm and 12,000 Marines)

The Indonesian Navy was a large force that was necessary as Indonesia is a collection of islands. Training standards and equipment were below Western standards and especially the Australians, but were improving. Indonesia bought some submarines from West Germany and surplus missile frigates from the Netherlands in the 1990's. The navy played a central role in defending the Indonesian archipelago. In peacetime, the navy polices Indonesian waters to counter maritime poaching, smuggling, and piracy, and supports the army internal security operations. The navy performs most coast guard functions, but the Department of Transport's Sea Communications Agency includes a Maritime Security Agency that operates some search and rescue and harbor patrol craft. In wartime the navy, acting in conjunction with the air force, is expected to interdict invading forces as far as possible from Indonesian territory and mount defensive operations.

The Navy is organised into two operational commands and three functional commands. The operational commands are regionally oriented, with the defense responsibility for national waters divided between Eastern Fleet and the Western Fleet. The Eastern Fleet is headquartered in Surabaya in East Java, with other bases at Manado in the Celebes and Ambon in the Moluccas. The Western Fleet is headquartered in Jakarta, with other bases in Sabang in Sumatra and Tanjung Pinang on Riau Island. The three functional commands are the Naval Training Command, including a naval academy located at Surabaya, Military Sealift Command, and the Marine Corps. Each fleet includes main naval bases, support naval bases, naval observer posts, and two operational components: a combat command and a maritime security command. The maritime security commands oversee maritime law enforcement

Submarines
Cakra Class (Type 209/1300) submarine: 2
Principle Surface Combatants
Van Speijk Class Missile Frigate: 6
Ashanti Class Frigate: 3
Claud Jones Class Frigate
Fatahillah Class Frigate: 3
Hajar Dewantara Class Frigate: 1
Mandau Class Fast Attack Missile Craft: 4
Attack Class Patrol Craft: 8
Bima Samundera Class Patrol Craft: 5
Singa Class Torpedo Craft: 2
Tongkak Class Patrol Craft: 3
Yug Kraljevica Class Patrol Craft: 3
Mine Warfare
Pulau Rengat Class Minehunter: 2
Amphibious
Teluk Semangka Class LST (200 troops, 17 tanks): 6
Teluk Amboina Class LST (200 troops, 16 tanks): 1
Teluk Langsa Class LST (200 troops, 16 tanks): 7
LCU: 4
LCM: 20
LCVP: 20
Support Ships
Surong Class AOR: 1
Other Ships: 17
Naval Aviation
N22B Searchmaster Marine Patrol: 12
N22 SL Searchmaster Marine Patrol: 6
HU-16B Albatross Flying Boat: 4
C-212 Aviocar Transport: 4
Aero Commander 100 Training: 6
PA-38 Tomahawk Training: 6
AS 332L Super Puma Transport Helicopter: 9
Bo-105C Light Helicopter: 4
HAS.1 Wasp ASW Helicopter: 9
Alouette-III Light Helicopter: 2
Naval Ordinance
AGM-84 Harpoon AS Missile: 32 delivered
MM-38 Exocet AS Missile: 60 delivered
Mistral Portable SAM Missile: 120 delivered
Sea Cat SAM Missile: 110 delivered
SS-N-2 AS Missile: 25 delivered

The Indonesian Marine Corps (KORMAR) had a strength of 12,000 personnel and were organised into 2 infantry brigades of 6 battalions and 1 combat support regiment with tank, reconnaissance, artillery, air defence and landing craft battalions. The 1st Marine Corp Group included the 1st, 3rd and 5th Battalions and the Combat Support Regiment and is based in Surabaya to cover Indonesia’s eastern region. The Independent Marine Corps Brigade with the 2nd, 4th and 6th Battalions is based in Jakarta to cover the central region. Indonesia plans to eventually double the size of the Marine Corps, which has led to friction with the army over funding, resources and influence. The army wants the Marine Corps to move out of Jakarta to curtail its security role in the Indonesian capital. There have been plans to move the Independent Marine Brigade from Jakarta to Surabaya, and the 1st Marine Corps Group headquarters from Surabaya to Makassar (Sulawesi). But it has been delayed for years due to inter-service rivalry between the army and navy.

Equipment
PT-76 (76.2mm gun) Light Tank: 80
AMX-10 PAC-90 (90mm gun) armoured car: 10
BRDM-1 Scout Car: 20
AMX-10P APC: 25
BTR-50P APC: 75
LG-1 105mm Towed Howitzer: 20
M-30 122mm Towed Howitzer: 40
BM-14 140mm Multiple Rocket Launcher: 24
Bofors L/70 40mm AA Gun: 40

Paramilitary

The Indonesian national police force (INP) numbered 180,000 in the mid-1990's and was expanding in size. The INP is controlled from Jakarta headquarters and each province has a subordinate headquarters in major urban areas (Polwil) and at district (Polres) and sub-district (Polres) levels. The INP is organized along functional lines, with divisions responsible for intelligence and security, criminal investigations, routine patrol work, traffic and community liaison. The INP also controls the paramilitary Mobile Brigade (Brimob) which has around 15,000 personnel. Brimob units are routinely accused of human-rights abuses and serve in a gendarmerie role. The INP also controls the counter insurgency GEGANA unit. The INP also has its own air wing of 11 light aircraft and 13 helicopters (10 Bo-105 and 3 Bell 206), and a marine unit with 25 small patrol craft.

Other para-military forces include 1.5 million strong KAMRA (People's Security) that was an unarmed part-time police auxiliary. The Customs Police, Marine Security Agency and Transport Ministry also controlled a marine force of 85 small patrol craft and 28 LCU.

Last edited by RN7; 10-21-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I would take the military targeting with a grain of salt, as for the political and economic base, I think it's pretty dead on. I had to pick weapons with the RANGE to reach Australia from the Soviet Union, or just grab random sub based weapons and assume they got past the RAN to launch a missile or two. I am assuming no Soviet aircraft launched on Australia due again, to the distances involved, that and they were probably being used to flatten targets in Japan and China.

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 10-23-2018, 05:19 PM

Yes, the economics aren't too bad. I'll be looking at likely missiles and number of warheads and adding subtracting from there I think. My guess is ABMs rather than sub launched missiles - it's a long way to send a sub which might be better utilised elsewhere.
Australian strikes though are most likely an afterthought. Australia wasn't directly involved in any of the major fronts (besides a presence in Korea which is arguably a UN conflict), and the country is on the other side of the globe to just about everywhere too. Not exactly convenient for your warships to drop in for repairs, and very unlikely for there to be any exports of significance due to lack of fuel, limited production capacity, and Australia's own internal needs.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-27-2018, 02:24 PM

Russians at Cam Ranh Bay? (including bombers) Would northern Australia be a target for them?

In our real timeline, Russian bombers (Bears) operated out of Biak airport in Indonesian Papua last year.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:19 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan View Post
Russians at Cam Ranh Bay? (including bombers) Would northern Australia be a target for them?

In our real timeline, Russian bombers (Bears) operated out of Biak airport in Indonesian Papua last year.
I think they would be more involved with the Soviet effort against China. If any air or naval assets survived that conflict, they might be a potential problem for Australia but they would still have to survive the journey from Vietnam to any target in Australia. For example, it's about 3600km (2237 miles) from Cam Ranh Bay to Darwin (in the Northern Territory).
Old 10-27-2018, 07:05 PM

And that's 3,600km through potentially hostile airspace, just to hit a target in a country which isn't even technically at war with the USSR.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-27-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan View Post

The Tu-22M Backfire has the range to hit Northern Australia from Vietnam, but the RAAF could also hit them back with a F-111G strike in this period.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:23 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7 View Post
The Tu-22M Backfire has the range to hit Northern Australia from Vietnam, but the RAAF could also hit them back with a F-111G strike in this period.
And this is also the same time period where the RAAF was finally in possession of inflight refuelling tankers.

At the time, the B707 aircraft we had were not fitted with the tail boom refuelling probe that would be required by the F-111's because it was felt that the FA-18's needed the range increase allowed by inflight refuelling more than the F-111's did.
By way of comparison, the RAAF FA-18A with a 4000lb weapons load and 6000lbs of external fuel had a strike range of approximately 1020km while the RAAF F-111A/C with the same 4000lb load and no external fuel had a strike range of 2040km.
Info taken from here: - http://ausairpower.net/raaf-707.html

While the tail boom probe was not part of the modification, it was studied as part of the options for inflight refuelling. It's always possible that we could get technical/engineering help from the UK & USA if an urgent requirement for inflight refuelling of the F-111's was found and the modification to the B707's could be carried out in Australia.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
And this is also the same time period where the RAAF was finally in possession of inflight refuelling tankers.

At the time, the B707 aircraft we had were not fitted with the tail boom refuelling probe that would be required by the F-111's because it was felt that the FA-18's needed the range increase allowed by inflight refuelling more than the F-111's did.
By way of comparison, the RAAF FA-18A with a 4000lb weapons load and 6000lbs of external fuel had a strike range of approximately 1020km while the RAAF F-111A/C with the same 4000lb load and no external fuel had a strike range of 2040km.
Info taken from here: - http://ausairpower.net/raaf-707.html

While the tail boom probe was not part of the modification, it was studied as part of the options for inflight refuelling. It's always possible that we could get technical/engineering help from the UK & USA if an urgent requirement for inflight refuelling of the F-111's was found and the modification to the B707's could be carried out in Australia.

Australia bought 4 air refuelling systems from Israel between 1991-1992 for the modification of 4 Boeing-707 transport aircraft to tanker/transport aircraft. 15 F-111G (FB-111A) were also bought from America second hand in 1993-1994 to replace the shorter ranged F-111C.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:21 AM

A useful document I came across a few years ago which will go a long way towards figuring out what the spark was that ignited the Indonesia/Australia conflict.
Attachment 4164

Mors ante pudorem

Last edited by Legbreaker; 04-29-2021 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:08 PM
Banned

FYI have some info for you on font sizes from the old GDW publications - check your messages
Old 10-31-2018, 05:58 PM

Anyone got any thoughts on giving Australian and New Zealand an "On the Beach" sort of vibe?
The first half of the movie, rather than the inevitable death towards the end.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053137/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0219224/

Mors ante pudorem
Old 11-01-2018, 11:10 AM
Banned

I dont see it being quite like "On the Beach" - the war wasnt that bad - even the first half before the "everyone dies" second half
Old 11-01-2018, 07:57 PM

I don't think so either, just looking about for ideas as without the war directly impacting the Australian mainland, it's hard to figure out what impact it would have had on a day to day basis. I'm thinking of pulling ideas and elements from there and similar stories such as Testament, Outbreak, and Panic In The Year Zero!
One idea I'm toying with is hitting the major urban areas with some sort of plague or bioweapon and adding in famine due to lack of fuel to shift grain and other produce to where it's needed most. Quarantine areas get set up, but due to the sprawling nature of Australian cities and limited manpower to patrol them, they're about as effective as flyscreen windows in a submarine.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 11-01-2018, 08:33 PM
Banned

"Panic In The Year Zero" - always loved that movie