RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-15-2011, 01:10 PM

Default Ain't No Lie, GI!

India 22 was a brand new IPM-1 on a REFORGER exercise when it ran into the worst possible thing.

The driver never saw it coming and had no chance to dodge what was waiting.

You see, a German farmer was towing a honey wagon behind his tractor. The tank slammed into the back of the wagon and sent a shower of "organic fertilizer" all over the the tank.

After the exercise, the tank was steam-cleaned from one end to the other...several times.

But forever afterwards, India 22 always had this odd odor!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:47 PM

That is very disturbing. I feel bad for the crew that had to use that vehicle. I think I would feel like taking a shower everytime I crawled out of that thing.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:43 PM

During World War II, our bomber crews had to have special diets that avoided foods that created a lot of gas. There really was a good reason since the bombers were unpressurized and no aircrew member liked using the little paper boxes provided in subzero temps.

Except for one navigator.

This rather odd individual would eat like a horse before any mission and then loaded up with plenty of paper boxes that he would "fill" during the trip in.

As his plane would make its bombing run, the navigator would stand near the bomb bay waiting for his moment of fame. As the bomb load would drop, he would add his contributions to the war effort.

His "flingenschissbomben" actually made it into a Stars and Stripes article!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 PM
The Stat Guy

My former neighbor, Michael Marsh (he died two weeks ago -- another WW2 vet lost) was a Sherman tank driver who got to Europe just after D-Day. The Sherman his crew got put into was, as he put it, a "reissue" -- it had been hit badly enough to kill the previous crew, but not badly enough that it couldn't be repaired and put back into action. Mike told me that every time the engine got the tank warmed up, you could smell a little odor of the previous crew...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 08-15-2011, 08:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

My grandfather was a combat engineer who had been part of the D-Day invasion... we didn't know until he died that he had earned the Bronze Star and several other medals during his time in the war. He had knee problems due to breaking it when he went into a foxhole while carrying another soldier on his back who had been shot. he wouldn't complain about how much it hurt until the last years of his life while i was taking care of him and grandmom.

The three years i took care of them was the hardest and most stressful thing that I have ever done. But it was the right thing to do, and i'd do it again in a heartbeat. And who knows, my sister and I might end up having to do it with mom. After dad died, she's been... she just doesn't seem to want to do anything anymore.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:57 PM
The Stat Guy

That's how Mary Marsh is now. She's in a nursing home, doesn't seem to understand or be willing to accept that Mike is dead, doesn't understand where she is, and Connie (their daughter) says she's slowly understanding less and less -- she's just sort of fading away. They'd been married since 1946.

Their dogs are at Connie's house, and just sort of wander around aimlessly. Connie thinks they're looking for Mike and Mary -- Anya (one of my dogs)did that for a while when first Shadow, then Wolfie (two more of my dogs) died. Connie has other dogs and trains service dogs on her property -- but Mike and Mary's dogs don't seem to have taken to anyone else.

I pay the people who take care of my yard to take care of theirs, at least until Connie can sell the house. But CPS has already cut off the power and the lawn service uses water from our house to water the rose bushes that are basically dying from the lack of care, care that Mary used to give them and that neither me, my mother, or the lawn service knows how to do. I learned a lot from Mike -- he could fix just about anything except modern cars, and we had stories to tell each other. ( I could not for the life of me teach him how to do more than the basics with a computer, though!) Mike kept a yard that was immaculate and weed- and pest-free, and his house sharp. I hope my next neighbors are at least quiet.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 08-15-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
That's how Mary Marsh is now. She's in a nursing home, doesn't seem to understand or be willing to accept that Mike is dead, doesn't understand where she is, and Connie (their daughter) says she's slowly understanding less and less -- she's just sort of fading away. They'd been married since 1946.

Their dogs are at Connie's house, and just sort of wander around aimlessly. Connie thinks they're looking for Mike and Mary -- Anya (one of my dogs)did that for a while when first Shadow, then Wolfie (two more of my dogs) died. Connie has other dogs and trains service dogs on her property -- but Mike and Mary's dogs don't seem to have taken to anyone else.
Dad's dog did that... he was blind and couldn't see. but went out onto the front porch and started to howl when dad died. he was in hospital, and that poor old dog that adored my dad knew it happened. My mom had stopped in to pick up my sister and was to then swing by here to pick me up to see him. And they were asking him why he was howling when the phone rang. and it was the hospital telling mom dad had slipped away. even though when she had left him only 30 minutes before he was doing okay and was showing signs of improvement.

He just stopped, mom rushed to the hosptial to see the nurse sitting on dad's lap doing CPR to hold him here just so mom could say goodbye. i didn't get to see him for over 24 hours... and they let me see him in the morgue.

Dad was only 66, and he died from agent orange exposure. in 2008 he was about to get his disabiity for it, but when the new admin came in they put his (and my) case in review. And kept it there until dad died. I wonder if that's what they are hoping will happen to me now.

I had to get help for my social security disability... just don't let my wife find out, or she'll take the boys and disapear with them.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:51 PM

Stationed at Fort Hood with the 1st Cavalry Division and we got to play combined arms for a congressional delegation. Division had everything planned to a "T"! A full battalion of 155mm doing a 20-minute prep. A mech infantry and a tank battalion taking over and dumping four deuce followed by a ten minute live fire with everything, including the firing of a dozen TOWs....and then the Air Force would show up and demonstrate how deadly accurate the F-111 could be. And herein lies our story.

We had finished the last of our firing series and got the word to cease fire since the Air Force was inbound. Everyone was in the bleachers waiting to see the big bombs drop. Minutes passed and every pair of binoculars were in use as we tried to spot the planes. The AIRLO could be seen next to his jeep, giving the instructions to the F-111s...and we waited. And waited...and waited. Finally Range Control came on the radio and advised that the planes were rolling in for their final leg.

And we waited some more.

Finally, a series of blasts sounded. Well off to the right and completely off the range. We all looked at each other realizing what had happened.

You see the AIRLO had radioed the wrong map grid. And four F-111s dumped about 20 750-pounders. Scoring a nice line of craters right down the main tank trail.

Thankfully, nobody was on the trail....and it sure was a pretty line of craters! But the running joke on post, especially when any Air Force pukes were around was...

The Air Force is the only service to ever acheive 100% accuracy. Everything they drop will hit the ground....somewhere!