RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2010, 11:13 PM
GM for hire

Default Poland population and farming model

Hi all,

As mentioned elsewhere, I have been working for a while on a Poland population model. I was also doing this to get a handle on farming needs (specifically land), to use this to help me create a credible view of the world the PCs would be venturing within. So this is what I came up with.

I started with the 2006 populations by voivoideship, powiat, and gmina.
Wikipedia: "The territory of Poland is divided into voivodeships (provinces); these are further divided into powiats (counties), and these in turn are divided into gminas (communes or municipalities)."
Although the current division of Poland in this way was done in 1999 and would probably not have been done in the T2K timeline, for the sake of finding current information this seemed to be the easiest way to go about it.

After getting the 2006 pop data, I had to pick some baselines for the T2K world. As some canon sources disagree on how many people are where, I used my main source to be the East Europe Sourcebook (#2017). This listed (on page 18):
"Before the war, Poland's population was 38,300,000."
"... the country barely boasts 9 million people now."
The first figure was close enough to the number I got for Poland's population in 2006 to ignore the difference there, and so I then used 9/38.3 = 23% as my baseline for population effects.
Page 18 also listed the populations of several cities: from Warsaw with 152,000 to Czestochowa with 18,000. I used these as some starting points, and also assumed that no other city not on this list was over 18,000 population (on the basis that it would have otherwise been included in this list).

From there, I started generating post-war populations down to the gmina (commune) level. I used pre/post-war ratios and population densities per square km as a guide, and randomly generated the last three digits of each population (so I didn't have to decide the minute stuff). Then I matched up all the figures to make sure the totals came out right. That finished the population run.

For farming, I made some assumptions, based on previous ideas I had seen (Grae's & Antenna's). The basic assumptions and model were:
(1) It takes 1 square km to feed 100 people. I got this rough figure from a UN report (I think it was) that said about 1.2 acres = 0.5 ha is needed to sustain 1 person - and then I doubled it as a margin of safety factor.
(2) 1 person producing food can support 2 people. Note that not all these people are farmers, but also bakers, grocers, butchers, ploughing teams, fertilizer merchants, etc.... I figured 50% of the food production people are actual farmers.
(3) Out of every 8 people, 6 are work-capable, 1 is partially capable (young teens, elderly, etc.) and 1 is incapable (very young or old, invalids, etc.). This produced "surplus population" and "partial worker" figures that could be used for other work.

Points (1) and (2) above I made alterable in the file, so that an area (e.g., the Margravate of Silesia) could have greater or lesser efficiency in these two areas. But for the base file, I made everything the same.

A secondary assumption here is that not all of the assigned farmland is actually in crops, etc. Some could be forage land, some fallow, some only for grazing, etc. However, it just gave an idea of what sort of area was being utilized. In terms of cropland, I figure about 1/3 of the assigned land would be in crops at any one time.

Finally, from all this, I generated the surplus population and partial worker figures. This I intend to use as a starting point for generating communities. Of course there is now way I intend to detail all of Poland, or even all of a single voivodeship, but even just the numbers as presented are giving me ideas. More on that below, with an example.

(The file below I made using OpenOffice Calc, converted to XLS. It should be readable in Excel.... if not, let me know.)

Oh, PS: the yellow cells in the file are the ones that are editable to affect the final calculations. Everything not a yellow cell on the right side (last 3 columns) is a calculation based on the yellow cells.

*** updated file posted below in post #10

*** updated file again, posted below in post #12
Attached Files
File Type: zip Poland population and farming 2010.10.07.zip (353.3 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by atiff; 11-21-2010 at 01:47 AM.