RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default the fate of the USS Cabot

Blackrider 08-11-2004, 07:37 AM was rereading a few old books of old carrier fleet and came across the USS cabot... it was one of the old ecort carriers during world war 2 and after the war was given to the spanish navy and remained the Diablo but was finally bought out when the spanish navy got a new carrier, it was returned to the US in, and it was dream to make it a museum ship, but the funding fell thru and she was eventually scrapped [i belleve]

but the thought is would the US navy scarp a ship during war time... as part of the Spanish navy, she operated Harriers and Sea kings off her deck and was used as ASW plateform, would the Navy have just dont a quick refit and sent her back out to sea? or maybe used her as a LPH landing assault ship..

and to any event, where would it have been posted... and could it have survived thru the war? these are just ideas for adventure plots in a campiagin

tell me what you think, and ideas are welcome

TiggerCCW UK 08-11-2004, 07:54 AM My best guess is that she would have been pressed back into service, although it would depend on her status when she got back from Spain - did she have a chance of defending herself? What was her weapons suite like? If she had been halway capable I reckon she might have been used in a relatively local role for ASW, rather than sending her into a major combat zone where she might not last.

Matt Wiser 08-11-2004, 07:14 PM It was planned to turn her into a museum ship in New Orleans, LA. However, funding dried up and she was sold for scrap. in 1995. I don't think she would have been reactivated. Her island is now at the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.

shrike6 08-11-2004, 07:52 PM Blackrider, I dont think she would have been activated as STOL Carrier. There's a slight chance that it might have been used as a transport akin to the USNS Card during the Vietnam war. Keep in mind the ship had deteriorated pretty badly by 1997. http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/s...sh-c/cvl28.htm

Matt, The island in Pensicola is a replica. http://naval.aviation.museum/exhibits/uss_cabot.html

Matt Wiser 08-11-2004, 08:29 PM I stand corrected, then. I saw the pics of the museum exhibit and assumed the museum had acquired the Island after the ship was broken up for razor blades. Unfortunately, I haven't been there to see for myself: after I graduate from Navy OCS I will.