RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 03-19-2020, 02:03 PM

I've recently had some extra time on my hands with the covid 19 to post about our twilight experience. The only player I have left these days is my brother. When I first got the game in 1992 we were playing off and on for years. Of course as we grew up others played then left and would end up in the npc pile and eventually we stopped playing. After my brothers divorce we picked it up again, he decided that he wanted to get all his players from around the world home and concentrate on rebuilding the united states (however I think his real plan is to set up his own government lol). First his men in California participated in there rebuilding efforts then thru some large scale coordination started freeing up southern California and aiding forces in Arizona. Then we continued an older group of mid east characters that had made it to Thailand and stole an LST then started island hoping all the way to Hawaii then California and eventually join up with his men there. Now we are getting ready to have his men that failed the mission from armies of the night (they fled the city heading north) to head west to Colorado and find the brother of a character last known to be in California. Its been quite a journey so far with the battle of twenty nine palms to the battle of tucson and a large price on the head of Col. Paynes by the Mexican forces for his use of chemical weapons on the battle field. I'm interested to see what trouble he starts next.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:40 PM

Welcome back to the Forum guys.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:14 PM

Default Hello!

Holy crap! I did not know there was a forum for the old Twilight 2000 game! What a rush of find memories. I played this game what in the late 80s? Hell yeah I'm coming back to this.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:27 PM

Welcome!
Old 05-14-2020, 12:06 AM

Hi sitrep.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:13 AM

Does anyone know of a group that is playing using discord or something? Last time I played this I was actually stationed in Aschaffenburg Germany in the late 1980's. Not to particular on what version just looking for a decent group of people to join and game with. I miss the days of gaming with friends on weekends.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:34 AM

Not currently, but I too wouldn't mind a few discord sessions...
https://discord.gg/PPG9ZzZ

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 05-17-2020, 11:01 AM
Registered Registrant

I think the only real problem with such an idea is nothing to do with using Discord or Skype et al. but the timezones some of us are in.
Other than, from my recent experience with it, Discord works out pretty well for running game sessions.
A mate of mine is running a Call of Cthulhu game via Discord but we're all in the same city so timezone doesn't matter. However if I was to try and jump on to something being run in a North American or European timezone, it most often puts my local time as something ludicrously early in the morning (like, still dark outside kind of early in the morning!)
Old 05-17-2020, 12:45 PM

I'm involved in a Wing Commander RP. We get round the time zone issues by doing it on Saturday.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the discord link! Just joined the page and hopefully something might pop.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:22 PM

Hi all, joined a while ago (like a few years ago), tried a password reset (which failed to work) so created a new account.

Played a lot of T2k in late high school/early college then got sidetracked, but kept all my books etc as it was a favourite. Used it to run stargate and a number of other settings over the years too.

Looking to pick it up again soon, my most regular (and reliable) player is my wife, so I'll be starting a 2.2 game (the version I started with) for her pretty soon and eventually a game for our most regular gaming group.

I'm thinking an alternative settings to the default for each (probably Canada/US and Africa) so lots of research in the near future...
Old 06-01-2020, 02:45 PM

Apologies to those who may have already seen some of this in the T2k Free League Facebook group (which is where I found out about this forum!).

I hate to say how much effect Twilight: 2000 actually had on me. I played first edition a lot, and second edition (which came out when I was in the army) a bit. By the year 2000 I was a character I would have wanted to play - I had been an infantryman, a paratrooper, military intelligence, and served in special forces. I spoke Russian (thanks mainly to the Defense Language Institute!) and I was stationed in Germany. But alas, our timeline was different. I didn't even see combat until after 2000, and in the hot deserts of the Middle East instead of the cold forests of Central Europe. I finally retired from the US Army in 2012 with 10 years of active duty and 13 years of reserve service.

After leaving active duty in 2000, I went on to developing video games, mostly military ones, including Panzer Elite, America's Army, Twilight War, Order of War, World of Tanks, World of Warplanes, World of Warships, and Master of Orion. I've spent the last couple of years making simulations (PC and VR) for training military and law enforcement in lethal force decision-making. In 2007, I actually looked into buying the rights to Twilight: 2000, only to discover that they had recently been acquired by 93 Games Studio. Just hearing a couple of weeks ago that the game is being brought back by Free League practically brought tears to my eyes. I still even have most of the reference books I bought in the 80's and 90's for playing the game - many dozens of them.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Welcome, Severian. It's good to have you aboard.

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 06-01-2020, 09:18 PM
Registered Registrant

Welcome to all the new members and those who are returning
Old 08-21-2020, 06:04 PM

Hello everyone.

I saw a post about this form on the Facebook page for the new Free League version of T2K and thought I would join.

I've been playing RPGs and tabletop games for about 20 years. I live in Dallas, Texas. I currently work as an assessment developer and editor.

My friends and I played our first game of First Edition T2K last weekend. T2K was the first RPG my friend purchased but he was too young to really understand it. When he saw there was a new version in development he bought PDFs of the original to hold us over until Free League publishes the new edition.

I had a lot of fun last weekend. We're playing again tomorrow. I think a setting like T2K is probably the only way to have a military-themed RPG that works because the chain-of-command is so limiting to player freedom.

I look forward to reading the many resources you all have developed and hopefully contributing some to the discussions.

-worst2first

(My username is based on my approach to sports video games. I've always enjoyed taking terrible teams and trying to turn them into champions. I guess I like underdogs.)
Old 08-21-2020, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Default WELCOME

Welcome to the board, W2F!

Like your friend, I bought the v1 box set when I was 11 years old and, yeah, it was a bit too complicated for me to actually play at that age. I thought Twilght 2000 died when the Cold War ended. I offloaded all of my T2k stuff at the local used bookstore (still kicking myself for that). I found this community about 10 years ago and it got me into T2k PbPs (since my RL friends don't do RPGs).

I'm looking forward to seeing what Free League does with the property.

BTW, I too like to take cellar-dweller teams (in FIFA) and manage them to top domestic league and Champions League glory. Good times.

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

Old 08-22-2020, 05:27 AM

Welcome to the board!

My username is a joke based on my general lack of stealth in video games, BTW.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worst2first View Post
Hello everyone.

I saw a post about this form on the Facebook page for the new Free League version of T2K and thought I would join.

I've been playing RPGs and tabletop games for about 20 years. I live in Dallas, Texas. I currently work as an assessment developer and editor.

My friends and I played our first game of First Edition T2K last weekend. T2K was the first RPG my friend purchased but he was too young to really understand it. When he saw there was a new version in development he bought PDFs of the original to hold us over until Free League publishes the new edition.

I had a lot of fun last weekend. We're playing again tomorrow. I think a setting like T2K is probably the only way to have a military-themed RPG that works because the chain-of-command is so limiting to player freedom.

I look forward to reading the many resources you all have developed and hopefully contributing some to the discussions.

-worst2first

(My username is based on my approach to sports video games. I've always enjoyed taking terrible teams and trying to turn them into champions. I guess I like underdogs.)
Welcome aboard. Feel free to post or even NECRO old threads. Unlike the D&D forums, we don't care about reviving old threads.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:09 PM

Hello All!
I have been a long time player of many RPG's, including T2K, mostly v1 back in the late 80's and early 90's, getting back into playing with the same group from back then, and few of our kids that have fallen into RPG's. I have a good swath of the v1 materials in original hardcopy, and picked up the v1 and v2 CD's from FFE a few years ago.
Stumbled on the site via google and cannot thank you all enough for compiling the resources here to keep the game alive in all the various versions.
My group is starting back up with v2.2, but it will be interesting to see if the upcoming version can create the kind of rebirth for T2K that 5e did for D&D.
I have some material that I will try to get uploaded and see what everybody thinks.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:30 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFisGoingOnInHere View Post
Hello All!
I have been a long time player of many RPG's, including T2K, mostly v1 back in the late 80's and early 90's, getting back into playing with the same group from back then, and few of our kids that have fallen into RPG's. I have a good swath of the v1 materials in original hardcopy, and picked up the v1 and v2 CD's from FFE a few years ago.
Stumbled on the site via google and cannot thank you all enough for compiling the resources here to keep the game alive in all the various versions.
My group is starting back up with v2.2, but it will be interesting to see if the upcoming version can create the kind of rebirth for T2K that 5e did for D&D.
I have some material that I will try to get uploaded and see what everybody thinks.
Welcome to the forum. As has been mentioned by others here, wander through the pages and feel free to raise old threads, we're not scared of going back over old topics (and a new set of eyes can often bring some new ideas to an old topic)
Old 10-05-2020, 08:51 AM

Hi there!

I'm fairly new, too, but haven't been able to fill out the answer box in this thread yet. I came across T2k in the early 2000s, after my time in the Bundeswehr. Never played the game, but read through the old books whenever I could get my hands onto them.

As a former Panzergrenadier, I was stationed in the Fulda Gap, about 10 years after it was successfully closed for good (let's hope). So all of the T2k stuff felt very close to home.

I'm looking forward to FL's new edition and hope, I will find a group to run through the box and wherever that leads us.

Happy gaming!
Old 12-08-2020, 08:13 PM

Hello. My name is Franklin but you can call me chrono117.
I backed Free League's T2Kv4 Kickstarter and recently received my alpha PDF. I haven't played any earlier versions, but I played modern warfare & post apocalyptic table top RPGs in other systems.

As a child of the 80's with several 40-something friends, my plan is to tone down the realism of the game and try to simulate GI Joe.

I was in the Army 1997-2001, so I speak the language and know about the equipment & training. But I'm not a gun nerd. I find the setting to be fascinating as it slips from modern what-if to a history exercise I can teach younger players.

I'm active on Discord (other peoples' servers), Twitch (other peoples' streams), and love to talk about history, science, movies/TV, the military, tabletop games, and more.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Default Welcome Aboard

Welcome to the forum, Ursus Maior and chrono117. We're happy you're here!

We have a few pages of active discussion topics and tons of archived threads.

https://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=773

Not only do we allow thread necromancy here, we encourage it! And if you can't find a thread on a topic you'd like to discuss, feel free to start one. Most of our members have been playing T2k for ages, so if you have any questions, someone here's probably got an answer or two.

Enjoy!

-

Old 12-10-2020, 11:31 AM

Smile

Thanks, you all for having me. I think, I've been reading here for some time and I might know a pseudonym or two from other games and eboards (kato most likely). Always nice to feel welcome in a new community.

I'm a historian by training, but work in university administration these days. I never played T2K, but read through a lot of the old stuff. Lately, I backed the new edition, which I hope to play some time. I did however play a lot of RPGs, wargames and several cosims over the last 25+ years. It all started with MERP, CT, 40k and BT.

My personal military experience was short, I was an amored infantry soldier in the Bundeswehr (Panzergrenadier) shortly before 9/11, when serving as a conscriptee. I've been interested in Cold War history and CWGH narratives since before that. At some point, I hope to write some longer narrative for such a scenario, but as of now, I have no idea, if this would be game content, fiction or what not.

Happy gaming! Thread necromancy might actually happening.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:22 PM

Hello All, I grew up near Bloomington/Normal, IL home of Game Designer's Workshop. Served for 5 years active as a Military Policeman stationed in Germany and Virginia. Illinois National Guard in 1/123rd Infantry. Got the majority of the books back in the day. Have lurked here off and on. Loved the Pacific Northwest Sourcebook and looking forward to see more of Free League's Twilight 2000.

Last edited by Jonesy64; 02-25-2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Default Welcome Aboard

Glad you found us, Jonesy64. Welcome!

-

Old 06-18-2021, 04:47 PM

Hey, y'all. Played some T2K way back in the 90s, and always liked the idea of the setting. When I saw the reboot on Kickstarter, I pledged there and am looking forward to returning to the post-apocalypse.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Default Welcome Aboard

Howdy, cpip! We're glad you've joined us.

-

Old 06-19-2021, 08:18 AM

Welcome!
Old 11-22-2021, 01:52 PM

I’m back after a long period of illness. Can anyone steer me to PbP games that are current or starting?