RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-10-2008, 04:13 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default PC military experience

copeab 08-26-2008, 09:22 PM So, how many terms in the military do you PCs normally serve before play starts? For those of you with several character, you can pick the most-run, or just guesstimate an average.

Brandon

Hangfire7 08-26-2008, 10:20 PM Generaly one or two terms not including the games rule of last term is durring the war. So my characters tend to be about 30. Often however I prefer characters who have one term as active duty and the following term as a reservist who are then recalled durring the war term.

Mohoender 08-26-2008, 10:43 PM Usually it is about three with, possibly, some previous civilian experience as I have characters that are between 35 and 45.

Hangfire7 08-26-2008, 11:04 PM Yes, I agree, I like having a character to have some of the skills that a civilian can get. It also makes for a more well rounded character especialy when one comes up with the background which is one of my favorite parts of character creation, that and gear selection, I preffer unique and different items.

However, really, I have tossed out the rules and come up with the idea of my players just submitting a character background detailing their past experience and training which would be a true reflection of their skills. It also forces my players to do a bit more research into their characters which in my view helps them be a better player and character since they have done the research and get a better understanding of the training and expeirnces that their characters will have.

As I have said for years, and others have said the skills a three or four term character often do not come close to what some have done in one tour in real life. An example, per the rules it is impossible for a person to pass the Marine Corps marksmanship qualification, whereas in real life it is next to impossible to fail unless you are utterly a messed up person or you actualy try <which in my day I had both types of shooters>

Targan 08-27-2008, 12:59 AM The character generation system we use in Gunmaster:2000 is incredibly complex but very rewarding in terms of giving a character its own history and depth before play starts. It is very difficult to say what the average is for my campaign. In G:2000 once a character's early family background and secondary education has been determined their pre-game career is worked out year by year. My brother is playing a USMC character aged in his early 20s who was a smuggler in American Samoa during his teenage years. The latest PC, a USN SEAL Lt Cdr is in his early 30s. Because of how long it takes to generate character background and the risk of dying in character creation no one has attempted to start a character older than his early 30s.

Rainbow Six 08-28-2008, 11:08 AM However, really, I have tossed out the rules and come up with the idea of my players just submitting a character background detailing their past experience and training which would be a true reflection of their skills.

Whilst I haven't played in years, the group I used to play in adopted this approach. Player would compile a background for the character, which would usually fill an A4 page (some of us managed 2 pages); ref would then review it with the player then both would look at the appropriate skills that the character would have. It worked pretty well for us.

To answer the specific question, number of Military terms was usually 2 - 3 on average.

Snake Eyes 08-28-2008, 01:23 PM Mine have usually been recalled reservists with prior service, so a couple of military "terms" under the belt. Different every time and highly variable depending on the campaign and character concept. Especially because for the last nine years or so we were using Max's variant house rules. And way different now since we've been playtesting 2013.

Hangfire7 08-28-2008, 02:12 PM Mine have usually been recalled reservists with prior service, so a couple of military "terms" under the belt. Different every time and highly variable depending on the campaign and character concept. Especially because for the last nine years or so we were using Max's variant house rules. And way different now since we've been playtesting 2013.

Agreed! I preffer playing characters that do what really happens, they do one or two tours in the military then get out. And either get bored with civilian life or have an active reserve obligation which is where they are usualy at when the war starts up again and they are recalled. This also gives you a chance for a broader spectrum of skills rather than just having military skills. Plus, it is much easier to put a PC in the process of a 30 something now since thats what I am instead of a hot headed over eager teenager or young 20 something.

Raellus 08-28-2008, 08:55 PM Between my current and former PCs, I'd say I average about 2 military terms.

Personally, I prefer PCs without too much military experience, probably since I'm not former or active military, IRL.

I also like the idea of the average grunt muddling his way through the T2K world.

In my current PbP, we've got a good mix with PCs ranging from drafted civilians still in their teens to three or four term SOF types approaching middle age. Variety is the spice of life!

Hangfire7 08-28-2008, 09:20 PM Between my current and former PCs, I'd say I average about 2 military terms.

Personally, I prefer PCs without too much military experience, probably since I'm not former or active military, IRL.

I also like the idea of the average grunt muddling his way through the T2K world.

In my current PbP, we've got a good mix with PCs ranging from drafted civilians still in their teens to three or four term SOF types approaching middle age. Variety is the spice of life!

Also, the cool thing of having civie characters or characters with civilian skills is you never know when that skill may actualy be of benefit and save the groups posterior.

I think one of my next characters is going to be a farmer or ranch hand after he gets out.